Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Zane Lowe Leaving Radio 1
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

OK I’m a bit late on this but I heard yesterday that Zane Lowe is leaving radio 1.
    I think this is a good thing. He never replaced John Peel (which I do think was possible). Zane Lowe is too much of a try-hard. He also had some terrible tastes in music – far too much American commercial hip-hop for my taste, whilst always missing out the more intellegent stuff.
    He also had none of the randomness that JP had.

Annie Mac is taking over. I like her, but I cant help thinking she’s a place holder. Surely someone from 6music could step over?

Discuss.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

He replaced Steve Lamacq not John Peel

trevron73
    Free Member

Zane lowe has been a real asset to radio 1 . I feel he brought genuine passion and originality to the station. Of course JP can never be replaced but Zane was a real ear opener, i love driving and listening to him .
    Hottest record – brilliant
    That thing where he plays albums start to finish for a week – fantastic
    I will miss him ,
    Even the interviews were great (except 1)

CheesybeanZ

I don’t think he ever tried to be John Peel , when he start he had far more of an edge to his show but seems to have gone a bit corporate now imho .

Northwind

I’m not a fan, exactly, but I love his love of music… I remember seeing an interview he did with the Killers at t in the park, straight after their set, where he was as incoherent as the boy from the band, just totally away in the moment… That’s what you need.

jota180
    Free Member

Is Annie Nightingale still there?

chakaping
    Free Member

Him and apple are a match made in smug **** heaven.

Annie Mac is great and will get me listening to r1 in the evening again, now and then.

MartynS

Thought he was brilliant. His interviews became a bit odd, he’d ask a really long question which contained most of the answer the artist could have possibly given. He also (for me) ended up playing far to much rap and hip hop, it became Tim westwoods show (nearly)

He’s gone to Apple I belive.
    Good luck to him, his passion did always come through

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

He replaced Steve Lamacq not John Peel

You’re quite right. JP must have been after Steve Lamacq and Jo “I love Dave Grohl” Wiley

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

He alway came across as a huge fan of the music he played, which kind of made him entirely unsuitable for radio 1. Good luck to him wherever he goes, music radio needs more fans in front of mics.

CaptJon
    Free Member

CheesybeanZ – Member
    I don’t think he ever tried to be John Peel , when he start he had far more of an edge to his show but seems to have gone a bit corporate now imho .

Bit corporate? That’s an understatement. He’s producing records now, including Sam Smith… the same Sam Smith who features heavily on Radio 1. Oh, and he’s leaving the BBC to work for Apple – difficult to get more corporate than that!

I’m disappointed Mister Jam isn’t taking over. He’s more charismatic than Mac, and isn’t really annoying.

CountZero

Annie Mac is taking over. I like her, but I cant help thinking she’s a place holder. Surely someone from 6music could step over?

Why on earth would any 6Music presenter want to go to R1?
    Keaveney, perhaps, he’s the only one I can think of who might see it as a step up.

sadexpunk

Surely someone from 6music could step over?

CZ, just beat me to it. 6 music is for when you grow out of radio 1, why would you ever go the other way?? 🙂

lodious
    Free Member

I’d like Keaveny to go to Radio 1, or anywhere apart from 6 Music. I think Northwind summed Zane up perfectly, I don’t particularly like him, but I think he genuinely loves music, so I respect him for that.

mefty
    Free Member

CZ, just beat me to it. 6 music is for when you grow out of radio 1, why would you ever go the other way??

Better pay, bigger audience

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I respect his love of music but find him massively irritating and an enormous sycophant. I don’t care where he goes, as long as it’s not 6 Music.

wallop

Getting rid of Keaveney would be a massive bonus.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I was saddest when chappers left the scott mills show, but he’s on R5L now

jools182
    Free Member

He’s not someone you’d want to hang around with for too long, he’s like a 6 year old who’s eaten too many smarties, but

His passion for music is huge and that enthusiasm was infectious

Strange interview technique as was stated earlier, he almost answered the questions himself then gets the band to agree with him

zippykona

Keavney is indestructible.
    He never gets ill or takes a holiday. Every morning I turn the radio on hoping he won’t be there. It’s not as if I have to wait for a song to end to find out. Its always that grade one **** droning on in an oh so hilarious comedy voice. ****.

bigjim

Surely someone from 6music could step over?

Mark and Lard!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought he was brilliant but havent listened for a while as the OH would rather have the TV on, it did get a bit “the Kanye West show” though. Grimshaw would have been the better replacement if he wasn’t doing breakfast. I suspect Amnie mac will drag it into dance music like zane took it to hip hop, not all bad but it does leave a hole in the lineup for good old fashioned guitar driven indie/rock.

I listen to radio 6 as it at least isn’t irritating, but its just as bad as R1 for playing the same play lists all the time, wouldn’t actualy surprise me if R1 actualy played more variety in a week than the R6 breakfast shows.

Zane on R6 could have been great!

Pook

That bloody ‘give me all your money I’ll make you origami honey’ bilge on 6 is doing my swede at the mo.

I’m finding Zane Lowe a bit sycophantic these days, and his hottest records have been utter bilge; though that may well be my subjective tastes shining through. I’ll miss him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t think he ever tried to be John Peel

Well, he didn’t shag teenagers, so that’s a start.

timc
    Free Member

woodlikesbeer – Member
    Annie Mac is taking over. I like her, but I cant help thinking she’s a place holder

I think a lot of people think this as well, the show will still have the same producers as Zane’s show sourcing music, programming etc.

Im guessing your over 30 though? which may go some way to explaining why you didn’t like a fair share of the content. 😉

R1 are on a mission to drive down the age of their listeners, The music & show programming reflect this, its something that comes from the BBC commission, R1 needs to have a defined place in the market, thats place is the under 30’s market competing with Capital & KISS amongst others.

Over 30’s are theoretically catered for by R2, 6Music etc.

batfink
    Free Member

I can see why some people don’t like him – but I don’t think you have to like him to acknowledge that he’s very good at what he does.

I think he’s awesome…. when he first started he made a lot of the other presenters look like total amateurs. I think R1 had to raise their game as a result.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I like the format of his shows and generally the content was ok and different. What are the rest of r1 gonna do without his content.. Oh wait ferne cotton is leaving..

sadexpunk

Well, he didn’t shag teenagers, so that’s a start.

when he hits 70, we may find out that he did.

bikebouy
    Free Member

R1 are on a mission to drive down the age of their listeners

Well our Nephews (7&6) enjoy “Grimmy” so it’s working 😆

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d like Keaveny to go to Radio 1, or anywhere apart from 6 Music. I think Northwind summed Zane up perfectly, I don’t particularly like him, but I think he genuinely loves music, so I respect him for that.

It took a while but I really like Keaveny now. Doesn’t work for me over breakfast (R4) but we get 90 minutes after we start on site and the humour works well. Better than any other music breakfast show I can remember (though Phil Jupitus stint on 6 was a regular listen back in the day)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Am I the only one to think ‘who’? (Grumbles into porridge)

RobHilton
    Free Member

radio 1

terrible tastes in music

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mandatory

lunge

I like him a lot and am sad to see him go. I’m crap at finding new music, I just listen to the same old stuff all the time so listening to his show gave me an opportunity to hear new stuff without it being pop bilge on the rest of Radio 1. He does play a lot of stuff I don’t like but that is fine, he also plays some I do, that’s what I listen for.

I’ll be sad to see him go but Annie Mac is not a bad choice to replace him, though I agree that she may not be a long term replacement.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Does anyone under the age of 8 listen to radio 1 anymore? Or care?

atlaz
    Free Member

I used to like him for the drive home when I lived in the UK. I’d take a passion for music combined with a bit too much ego over the placeholders or “wacky” characters of the majority of R1 DJs.

DezB
    Free Member

Never could stand the sound of his voice and his stupid semi-NZ/US accent. Glad to see the back of him.

timthetinyhorse

Grimshaw would have been the better replacement if he wasn’t doing breakfast.

Really? I fail to see in any way how he would be suitable to replace zane in this slot………..Yes zane could get irritating and play some garbage however this is all down to opinion. His passion and drive for music was obvious and this showed through interview and the way his show was produced (i know some of this is down to producers but open to be flamed anyhow :-)) Grimshaw however is a pop man, 1D etc, not the correct man in the slightest.

I like Annie however as said above i think the show could slide a little towards the dance side of things, no real issue there so long as they keep the balance right.

Just my 10p

chrisa87
    Free Member

I think its a shame he is leaving, like others said, his passion for music came through and he never played music he didn’t personally like.

And grimmy would be the worst person ever for the 7pm show. I think he is a short-term plant to drive older listeners away as he is so fricking terrible and spends half his life name-dropping. I mean who cares? Just play some good music at some point please!

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, a music thread on which DezB is the only person I agree with.

What are the chances of that happening?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m with DezB too – though not so much the accent as the near Whiley-esque sycophancy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Zane Lowe Leaving Radio 1’ is closed to new replies.