Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • YT Wicked 160 LTD or Cube Stereo Super HPC 160 Race
  • dardoz
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I had all but decided upon the Wicked until yesterday. I had actually thought that it couldn’t be beaten for value of spec as well as BOS suspension.

Then I came across Cube’s new enduro offering yesterday which has a better geometry imo, and is 1kg lighter. The Cube is a little more expensive, but will come in around the same with the bike to work scheme.

I want to buy this bike for racing the Gravity Enduro series in 2013, and mucking about on downhill tracks with friends etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as its a lot of money I’m about to spend on this ‘Do it all’ bike.

Cheers, Darren

AlexSimon

They look like different beasts to me.
    Is the Cube 650b?

dardoz
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlexSimon

Seems pretty amazing value to be honest.
    Carbon
    650b
    Not SRAM 🙂
    Fox 34

Only things it’s missing are the dropper post and chain guides.

On the other side is the lure of BOS

To be honest, the Cube looks like a long-legged trail bike, whereas the Wicked looks like more of an enduro sled.

mafiafish
    Free Member

That looks great! If it were a degree slacker (considering it has talas forks) it would be spot on. Pity the 34s aren’t a 20mm axle though.

bluebird
    Free Member

Nicolas Lau rides a Cube and he’s pretty handy in Enduro terms. Not sure if that helps.

dardoz
    Free Member

I really am torn between them.

YT Wicked
    + BOS suspension
    + Dropper seatpost
    – Frame weight (3.4kg with shock)
    – 1kg heavier
    – lengthy delivery time & based in Germany

Cube
    + LBS support
    + Carbon frame (2kg with shock)
    + 1kg lighter
    + 650B
    – 650b – replacement tyres & rims will be expensive (€60 on CRC)
    – no chain device

AlexSimon

I don’t think anyone else is going to be able to make that decision for you 🙂
    If it were me, I’d choose the lighter one, but that’s because I only weigh 60kg.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

How does the geometry compare?

dardoz
    Free Member

Depends what you’re into I guess…

Both have 66.5 degree head angles, but the Cube has a more upright seatpost at 74.6, compared to 73.5 on the YT.

Since I want this as my ‘do everything’ bike, I’d be more attracted to the Cube since it probably climbs a bit better.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve not seen that Cube before and I think it looks awesome… of those two I’d be rolling the big wheels 😆

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

is it my eyes or does the YT look like a tweaked lapierre?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Both are mentioned in the new Dirt 100, YT as a proper inclusion and the cube is mentioned as a last minute ” stop press – this bike needs to be added – its amazing” but they haven’t put it in as they want to see what other companies do in 2013.

Pfff I wouldn’t like to choose between them!

dardoz
    Free Member

link?

AlexSimon

Page 24 of the Dirt 100 special edition. It’s a half page ‘review’ of the Cube by Ray Mysterio. He loves it.

The actual Dirt 100 are listed here: http://dirt.mpora.com/dirt-100, but I can’t see the YT Wicked entry for some reason.
    It’s on page 55 of the mag.

AlexSimon

I’d take photos, but you may as well just go out and buy it 🙂

dardoz
    Free Member

I’ll have to try find someone who stocks it..

What’s the exact name so I can try find someone who stocks it?

I have found someone who has the Dirt magazine, but no a special edition.

dardoz
    Free Member

so frustrating…

I’ve rang every book store chain in Dublin and nobody has it.

AlexSimon

Maybe it hasn’t hit shops yet. Subscribers got it a couple of days ago.
    email me on my gmail address which is thingswelike1

AlexSimon

So – have you decided yet?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Alexsimon – the bit talking about the cube is in the startgate article. And the website is only 2012 parts, not 2013.
    Dardoz – did you get a copy off anyone?

dardoz
    Free Member

Ye, Alex emailed me a copy of the articles.

I think I’m going to go with the YT tbh. I’m aiming to do a year of Enduro to build up my fitness and then go to Megavalanche 2014. I’ve read too much about carbon bikes being a liability at it because of the rocks hitting your bike.

I guess it’s also about forgiving the 1kg extra weight in the YT, and choosing it because it has everything I need.

elltell
    Free Member

ive just gone for the wicked 160ltd………….calculated risk, we shall see.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The Cube for sure. You can always have the 34’s fettled with to perform how you want.

1) It’s a bike you can actually buy from your LBS for a start…

2) BOS forks are a pain in the arse in terms of parts availability and servicing without having to send them back to YT if anything goes wrong with them.

3) I’d also be more worried about rocks hitting light almost coke-bottle thick Aluminium frames than I would with carbon. Although I’m unsure of carbon in terms of ride feel sometimes.

4) 650B MIGHT be better

5) The cubes is 1 kg lighter = more fun on the ups and downs despite what people say to the contrary.

andysandes
    Free Member

Rode my wicked for the first time today. I know everyone always says this about their new bikes, but………it is really good. The bos suspension is really quite amazing reminding me if a shorter travel fox 40. None of the dive you get from other air forks I’ve ridden.

Overall the bike is light for a 160 and the wheels are stupid light for the size of them, this really seems ito help it go up hill really well.

And the price is nuts…….

On a side note I hadn’t ridden a clutch mech till today, they make the whole drive chain silent.

Cheers

Andy

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Carbon is not so robust either. It isn’t very damage tolerant, often damage is invisible or difficult to spot and they are not very tolerant to abrasions as it exposes the subsurface material and de lamination is a risk. For the sake of 1kg more, I’d feel better about the more robust Al Alloy frame.

I’m eyeing up a Wicked 160ltd too, will be interested to see what the delivery timescale is like.

bwaarp
    Free Member

An aluminium is robust? Give me a break. Durability is not the problem with carbon these days…carbon frames with enough flex designed into them to give trail feel is the main issue.

nasher
    Free Member

THe Wicked also has a reverb….so add £300 and about 400g if you want a dropper post… For UK enduros i think you will be fine on either….but bigger european stuff then i would go for the wicked…

Try Nirvana cycles in Dorking, Surrey I think thy will have the cube in as a test bike..

bwaarp
    Free Member

Why go for the YT for European Enduro’s, the geometries on both are equally suited.

There’s so much bollocks spouted on here it’s unreal.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Right in terms of geometry lets look at the 17.7 inch YT vs the 18 inch Cube.

* Wheelbase: The Cube has a longer wheelbase. This will be more suited to high speed runs than the YT. The YT will be slightly better in twisty terrain.

* Chainstay length: The Cube has a longer chainstay length. It will be more stable but less easy to manual and a little more difficult to jump with.

* The cockpit: The cube seems shorter, it will have a more upright position – it might help with lifting the front up I guess.

* Wheel size: The 650b wheels on the Cube should theoretically roll better and add stability but may be a little harder to jump.

Conclusion – The Cube will be a bit better for steep fast high speed runs whilst the YT will be a bit more playful in tight trails and jumps. However the 1KG weight difference should go a long way in making the Cube more poppy/playful off jumps than it normally would be.

That would be my analysis if I were trying to decide between the two bikes without riding them. I’d definitely go for the Cube – because of it’s light weight coupled with it’s long and low stability inducing geometry.

The sizing on the YT’s is weird as well, the next size up… the large has an 18.89 inch seatube. It’s wheelbase is a little longer than the 20 inch Cube – so this analysis doesn’t really play out for the larger model.

If I had the choice between the 18.7 YT and the 20 inch Cube – I’d go with the YT for the longer front end and shorter chainstay. I wouldn’t buy it with BOS forks in a million years though.

nasher
    Free Member

Why go for the YT for European Enduro’s, the geometries on both are equally suited.

There’s so much bollocks spouted on here it’s unreal. [quote]

That was my opinion and since I have raced and helped some of the Italian super Enduro’s and also guide on the terrain I know what Bike I would go for….mainly for the kit and the suspension thats on the wicked….i.e its enduro ready, the cube is gonna need dropper post chain guides..

But If I was in the UK then it’s a flip of the coin..

andysandes
    Free Member

@ bwaarp people are allowed their own opinion, take it easy. Seen you on several threads being quite scaving of people!!!! Good to hear all peoples opinions. Found your post about the dimensions very informative, but annoying because it seemed you only got your spreadsheet out to prove a point :p

@ wobbliscott if they are in stock they turn up in less than 2 weeks. Come really nicely prepped just put the wheels, bars and pedals on and add some air to the shocks e.g. they have set the gears breaks etc before posting

Cheers

Andy

bwaarp
    Free Member

Okay okay, sorry guys. I’ll be nicer next time.

Chainguide = 30 quid from Superstar?

AlexSimon

There’s a full (well as full as Dirt ever get) review of the Cube in the latest normal Dirt.
    They like it, though at times it seems as if the only reason is the 650b.
    Lots of talk about the rear shock letting it down, but no specifics and no mention of the fact that surely a tune would fix.

I think this was a higher model though, as it had the stealth reverb. Maybe the SL version (haven’t got the mag with me).

honourablegeorge

The lack of chainguide on the Cube is a huge disadvantage for me.

honourablegeorge

And the Cube has a pressfit BB, so no BB mounted chainguides either.

For a supposed Enduro bike, that’s downright stupid.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Andysandes, thanks for your comments. I’m sold. Just need to get it past the Missus now – the biggest hurdle as usual. Normally I’d just go for it and beg for forgiveness rather than permission, but this will impact on home improvement plans so I need to tread carefully!

Cubes are great bikes, but I’m not keen on the rear suspension layout where the shock is vertical with a rocker. I know it obviously works fine, but It just doesn’t look as neat and ‘right’ as the arrangement the Wicked has, but that’s my personal preference, as well as my aversion to carbon MTB frames.

bwaarp
    Free Member

And the Cube has a pressfit BB, so no BB mounted chainguides either.

Bionicon V2 chainguide.

honourablegeorge

Never used the Bionicon, but I have the feeling it wouldn’t be enough on it’s own for 1×10, probably does Ok with a front mech

Edit – you might get a direct mount top guide on the Cube, the front mech is direct

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘YT Wicked 160 LTD or Cube Stereo Super HPC 160 Race’ is closed to new replies.