• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by duff.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • …YT Jeffsy (al one) vs Transition Scout (4) vs Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 ex
  • maffs
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    Im on the lookout for a new bouncy bike to replace a 2014 Orange 5 Pro. I’ve narrowed it down with the help of a friend to:
    YT Jeffsy (al one) vs Transition Scout (4) vs Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 ex

Currently these all come in at around the same money @ £2200.

Would anyone be able to add any further info to one of these bikes please? I would add that despite only being 5’7” ; 29” inside leg I have a longer upper body and prefer a longer reach than a small frame offers.

Many thanks for any help given,

Chris

Teetosugars
    Free Member

In typical stw fashion of advising your own?
    A WhteT130-s..

maffs
    Free Member

I’ll add a Whyte T130 s to the list. I have considered this too.
    Thanks,

joebristol

If you want a long reach but short seat tube then they’re are bikes that might suit that better. Bird Aeris and airdrop Edit both have a long reach. I’m biased as I have the Bird – if 145 is too much travel then perhaps you should consider the 120 version.

One of the guys I’ve ridden with has the mark 1.5’bird but has test ridden the Aeris 145 against the Jeffsy at Swinley and much preferred the Aeris.

£2200 is a very similar amount of money to what my bike cost. I haven’t checked the spec of the bikes you’re looking at but suspect they’ll have a higher spec of components for the money but you can pick and chose your bits with the Aeris. For that I got a 145 with Yaris / GX 11 speed / upgraded shock etc.

I could have got a YT Capra with lyrics for the same money but I liked the idea of the uk manufacturer / support.

maffs
    Free Member

Thanks – thats a good tip-off. Cheers

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I don’t think a Jeffsy would fit you. They have silly long seat tubes. Great bike though

poah
    Free Member

consider waiting for the new transition to be released later.

russyh
    Free Member

29″ inside leg is fine on a medium Jeffsy, I am 5’9 with the same inside leg as you so I am very much long in the body. I found the medium Jeffsy 29 perfect for me fit wise. Happy to let you swing a leg over if you are anywhere near Gloucestershire

rascal
    Free Member

Will be keeping tabs on this thread with interest…I too find myself potentially in the market for a new bike and the Scout and Spectral are both on the list, along with the T130. Had a Pivot Mach 6 all frameset in my hands yesterday and that is a stunning bit of kit. Also on the radar is a Cotic Flare. Not considered a Jeffsy but having had a look on their site that could be a contender too. Looking at the Alu 2 at 2600€ – it’s a lot of bike when you consider the Pivot frame alone is knocking o for £1500. It’s all in the ride quality though and I’d want to try before I buy in each case – could be tricky with some of these too! Just wondering how much better they are than the pull shock Cannondale Trigger I currently ride…sorry for the slight hijack OP 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m similar body shape to you OP, so I know how hard it is to find a bike with a long-enough TT but short-enough ST.

All those bikes would come up a bit short for me in medium.

Bird and Whyte probably do the best options for the kind of bike you’re after.

The chainstays on the Whyte T130 would be too short for my liking, but it does have a lot of fans. The Bird likewise, and the geo looks a bit better balanced to me.

Leku
    Free Member

I have a Medium Jeffsy. 5’6″ and no ‘only’ about it.

Great bike with some flaws. Hate the push fit bottom bracket and headset. For the price was able to overlook this (got the carbon one for £2500 in sale). DT wheels M1700 are rather soft (had to re-rim rear after 4 months).

Demed Bird, Whyte and Cotic and preferred the YT.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and had a medium scout which felt a bit cramped and I ended up replacing it with a large Nomad which fitted fine but was a bit dull to ride so replaced that with a large scout, happy now. Rode a large Jeffsy 29er the week before getting the 2nd scout frame, it was quite nice but felt tall, like I was perched on it, the scout just feels right.

If the jeffsy was available as frame only I might have been interested in the 27.5 one but the scout is a really good bike for nobbing around easy wakey trails, trail centres or the peaks and more fun to ride than the nomad

chestrockwell

If you like the 5 there’s some great deals kicking about atm. Segment worth a look, love mine. Winstanleys and sunset mtb have big discounts on most of the current Orange’s.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

I too am 5’7, 29″ leg. I’m on a medium scout with a 35mm stem/760mm bars. It fits perfectly. And it’s also bloody amazing. The rear feels like it has way more than 125mm travel. Running 150mm Fox 34s up front and it’s really plush.

joebristol

That Scout looks lovely. So wanted a green bike!

One of the guys who rides out with our group has a yellow one and it is lovely.

maffs
    Free Member

Thanks Gents.
    There lots of superb advice and offers in the replies. The Jeffsy does offer a lot from a components point of view…infact the frame is free if you were to buy the parts separately.

Does anyone know the release of the new transition?

I am finding a problem 2018 bikes being under spec’d to try and keep the cost down.

Is a transition scout 4 better value than a YT Jeffsy in 27 in the long run?

hmmmmm. 🙂

ehrob

The new Transitions will be along next year I’d expect – presumably replacements for Scout, Smuggler and Patrol – but nothing confirmed as yet, total speculation on my part. The Sentinel 29er will be available around October in theory. It’s going to be quite a lot of bike, but pretty reachy. So could be up your street.

I have a Scout. I absolutely love it. I’m just under 5 foot 9, averagely proportioned, and ride a medium with a 35mm stem and 760mm bars. 150mm Pike up front, and a Float X out back. Good fit for me.

maffs
    Free Member

buttocks…. I’m now liking the scout, liking it a lot…. 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

I have a free weekend and want to try some of these bikes out (plus a Cotic Flare)…how best to do so?
    Pop along to Cannock and say ‘hello mister, can I have a go on your bike please?’ prob wouldn’t go down that well 😕

joebristol

Just to add a photo on the Bird Aeris front – this also comes in green. Also comes with Sram GX eagle now if that floats your boat. Easy to test ride at Swinley and see where they are assembled / speak to one of the owners of the company.

Think they also have Aeris 120’s at Cwmcarn now.

maffs
    Free Member

Does anyone have a Medium sized Jeffsy 27.5 anywhere near North East Wales so I could have a look at it/sit on it please?

Cheers,

rascal
    Free Member

Same here – if anyone within 70 miles of Loughborough has a large Bird 145, large Jeffsy 27.5 or large Spectral I could sling my leg over I’d love you forever

duff
    Free Member

Norco Sight C7.2 is currently £2200 at Evans. The spec may not be the best but they have a pretty generous ETT.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘…YT Jeffsy (al one) vs Transition Scout (4) vs Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 ex’ is closed to new replies.