Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • YT Jeffsy 29…Just about to hit the button
  • russyh
    Free Member

Hi all,
    So I have been thinking about (and bottled a number of times over the last year) hitting the button on a Jeffsy 29. Last time I bottled it I resorted to standard and purchased a new Orange Five frame. Thing is I have a hankering for a 29er. I want something that pedals well, can be used for all day epics as well as Enduro racing…Welsh Gravity Enduros, Ard Rock to name a few.

We have a demo day locally to me in a month, but there is an “Offer” on currently with YT and i’m worried I will miss the boat.

So…Does anyone around the FOD, Cheltenham area have a medium Jeffsy i could swing my leg over?

Secondly am I making a mistake? Should i be looking at something else? i am normally so bloody decisive, this new fangled consideration is driving me insane.

submarined
    Free Member

How tall are you? Best mate has one, was out with him at the weekend. He’s falling more and more in love with it every time he rides it, it seems.

Commented at one point he reckoned it was significantly quicker than his old Remedy on basically everything, and is quicker, and easier to flick about. It just does everything so well. Despite being too small for me, I blummin’ love it as well. Everyone who rides it is blown away by how flickable yet stable it is.
    Pedals very, very well.

FWIW, he’s doing the Ard Rock on it as well 🙂 I’m pretty sure that was part of the internal justification he used for it 😀
    Only issue he’s had is the Monarch throwing in the towel. Not YT’s fault, and once he’d got to the top of their CS queue, it was dealt with very quickly.Had it repaired and returned within about a week of sending it off.

I want one.

russyh
    Free Member

I am 5’9. But little legs! That’s a good write up and largely what I wanted to hear.

submarined
    Free Member

I think he’s around 5’8 and seems comfortable on a medium. Certainly doesn’t seem an issue when he’s snapping at my heels on my 160 Enduro bike!

Trimix
    Free Member

They are doing demos at Swinley and the FoD cycle centre in a few weeks.

gemini29
    Free Member

If only I didn’t love the looks of the Orange Segment so much, I’d have onze in a heartbeat..

antennae
    Free Member

I am 5’9. But little legs!

OP, I’m exactly the same height and relatively little legs too (I wear 30″ leg jeans).

I have a Jeffsy 27 in medium, and it’s bang on. Seat tube couldn’t be any higher though or I wouldn’t fit the 150mm dropper! Seatpost is slammed. So the large would probably be no go for me.

Jeffsy 29 is a bit shorter in the top tube than the 27 though, so might come up a touch short for you, depending on what stem you like to run?

mahalo

what is the ‘offer’ they have on?

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I must admit im 5′ 7 with 29” legs riding a medium but wouldn’t want the bike any smaller. That’s with the stock 50mm stem. I have about an inch of seat post showing.

They are great bikes. Very capable. The 2016 AL one isn’t light though.

russyh
    Free Member

They have some outlet offers so the carbon 1 is £2500 they say reduced from £3k but in reality it was £2800.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Interested to know if you have tried both the 27 and 29 version antennae as I’m currently without a bike and have been considering one of these but the lack of being able to demo one is a little bit annoying and coming from a Spitfire with 160mm upfront I’m not sure what’d be better out of the two of them as I like the idea of 150mm travel on the 27.

submarined
    Free Member

Demo days at Swinley, Sherwood Pines and FOD in the next few weeks 🙂

therag
    Free Member

I’m 6ft on an xl Jef 29 with a shorter stem. I also have a 27.5 large transition patrol.
    When i first got it I thought it was way too big but within 3 rides it just seems right and the patrol feels too small.
    The transition hardly gets used now, although it feels easier/stronger through very fast rough sections, maybe down to the 36s compared to 34s or Ali to Carbon rims I don’t know? But over the full ride, for me the jeffsy is a better day out.
    I’ve broken a Carbon wheel and a set of Carbon cranks but I sent them back to the uk distributiors and they were replaced very efficiently.
    I use it in the steeper xc shock position as I mainly ride easy/fast trails such as bpw and Welsh trail centres but I’m sure it would cope with any trails.

russyh
    Free Member

Demo days at Swinley, Sherwood Pines and FOD in the next few weeks

Yeah, I have pencilled myself in for the FOD demo day as its my local. But was hoping to sit on a medium prior to this in all honesty. Probably best to wait, but if i could swing a leg over for sizing prior to that it would help make my next decision a little less fuzzy

bedfordrd

I have the 2016 AL Comp 1 29er in a Medium – absolutely awesome bike. If I had to have ‘one bike to rule them all’, this would be it!

Used it at Coedy at the weekend (MBR trail) – brilliant, then did a very wet day at Stiniog on Sunday, and it loved that too! (only the blue/reds/end of black – I’m not that brave!)

My Giant Trance 27.5 is now up for sale as it’s completely superfluous, and the Reign 27.5 is now very, very rarely ridden!

Will also be doing the ‘Ard Rock on it in August, and would have done the Les Arcs Enduro2 this year if it wasn’t for Trail Addiction woes.

Will probably take it and Reign to Morzine – but I have a feeling I’ll be riding the Jeffsy more often there too.

I love the way it feels ‘flighty’, probably due to short chain stays and top tube. I’m 5’9″ with a 31″ inside leg – fit is perfect for me, even with the 150mm Reverb.

Have changed the chainring to a 30t (was 32t), the saddle for my preferred Fabric, and the grips for my preferred – that’s about it. Oh, and the front tyre for a Magic Mary, but the Onza Ibex aren’t that bad actually.

orangespyderman

I’m also tempted (as I have been in the past) by a Jeffsy and I’ve been umm’in and aah’ing about the outlet CF Comp 1 that’s there. It seems like a good price point. There’s the CF One that has the eagle transmission and I can’t decide if it’s a better bike.

CF Comp 1 has RockShox Pike/Monarch and DT Swiss wheels, CF One has Fox Performance 34 and shock, with E*13 TRS+ wheels. I think I’d prefer the RockShox/DT Swiss, but I’m not sure I’m right to. And it’ll break my heart if I go for the more expensive one the first time I have to pay 300€+ to change the cassette…

I’m going to run this over once more in my head. Secretly, I suspect my subconscious is waiting for the outlet deal to sell out so I have no choice (as it were…) but to buy the CF One and be done with it. And start saving for the cassette.

russyh
    Free Member

I think I am going to list my Five frame for sale first now, if the outlet bikes go then they go. Will keep my wife happy which is important. For me though the one thing I don’t like is they are dripping with SRAM and seem to have a funny short reach

russyh
    Free Member

Sorry to rekindle this thread. I am about to hit buy, but am concerned the medium will be too short. Does anyone have a medium around Gloucester I can chuck a leg over. Failing that I’m going to wait until the demo day at FOD

Trimix
    Free Member

Im 5 11 and a Large is bang on right for me.

slowrider
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be fine on a medium looking at the geo. I’m 5’11” and I’d happily go for a medium. ‘Chuckable’ has fallen out of fashion now all enduro bikes have to be stable at warp speed. I just go down a size and enjoy the extra standover for the reach I know suits me

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    6ft on a large with a 50mm stem
    Size is bang on for me.
    Cheers
    Steve

russyh
    Free Member

So couldnt wait any longer! Medium in stealth black ordered. Its in stock any ideas on lead times?

Leku
    Free Member

Mine was about 10 days from payment to delivery.

Also medium.

russyh
    Free Member

Was it showing as physically in stock Leku?

Leku
    Free Member

Yes. I got one of the carbon ones in their sale.

russyh
    Free Member

So spoke with a very helpful chap from YT yesterday who has confirmed my Jeffsy will be with me by Friday at the latest….Expect full pics and review following delivery. This is the first new “complete” bike i have bought since my Bird Zero AM a few years back. So quite excited. Wife also pleased as the constant delivery of bits normally sends her over the edge.

Trimix
    Free Member

So you ordered it before you sat on it after asking the internet about size – Medium or Large. Hopefully you will be lucky 🙂

I did the YT demo on Saturday and rode the Jeffsy 27.5 back to back with the Jeffsy 29er. My mate joined me so we swopped every few minutes and sessioned sections several times.

One moment we thought the 29’er was faster, then we though the 27.5 was. In the end we reckoned the difference was due to tyres, not the bike. Perhaps after very careful consideration you could say the 29’er took a tiny bit more effort to corner, but so tiny you only noticed back to back. On its own you wouldn’t.

It also didn’t feel like any of the other 29’ers Id ridden. They all felt too big and too tall and too ponderous.

After the demo I bought the 29’er and my mate bought the 27.5 one.

His will be his only bike, whereas mine will complement my Capra, so I figured the 140mm of travel would be best for me.

The 29er felt ever so slightly shorter in reach than the 27.5, but not by much. Both were Large and I’m 5 foot 11.

mark90
    Free Member

The 29er felt ever so slightly shorter in reach than the 27.5,

I felt there was a significant difference in reach between the 29er and 27.5 bikes in size M. Admittedly I didn’t get as much time on the 27.5, I was mostly on the 29er.

Trimix
    Free Member

My Capra is 27.5, but the difference is nothing a change of stem / seat position / bar rolling forwards couldn’t change.

I didn’t find it mattered, just felt a tiny bit different. After a ride or two I don’t think you would care about it.

There is stuff you can measure but notice if you look hard, but out on the trail you wouldn’t bother.

mark90
    Free Member

I guess a large part of it is what you are used to / prefer.

The Jeffsy 29er is similar reach to a Capra for the same size bike so if one works for you the other probably will.

I’m used a longer bike where reach on the medium I ride is between a L and XL on a Jeffsy 29er or Capra. That is what I noticed most on riding the Jeffsy 29er. The seat tube length prevented sizing up on the YT’s.

russyh
    Free Member

Yep, I ordered one regardless after comparing the reach and other figures to other bikes I have tried. I can always return if it’s too small and there was no large in stock. The deal looked good to me so just decided to go with it…will wait til Friday and see how it feels when sat on it

slowrider
    Free Member

Hope you like it bud. I just went for a medium kona process despite trends saying I should ride a large. Fits like a glove

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘YT Jeffsy 29…Just about to hit the button’ is closed to new replies.