Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • YT Ind. Capra
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Popped into WhSmiths today and flicked through Dirt and read Steve Jones mini review of the new Capra from YT Industries.

It does look a very impressive piece of kit but Jones fawned over the thing essentially saying it’s the only bike you’ll ever need and leaves everything else of a similar ilk in its wake. Due to be be the bike of the year apparently. I’m intrigued by it so the write up has worked but do Dirt have some sort of deal with YT. I’ve never read such an overtly positive review before.

Northwind

Probably just means it comes in a really big XL for Jones, he’s even less interested in teh Little People than David Cameron. Oh and it’s got the requisite magic wheels obviously.

TBH they’ve never felt crooked exactly but sometimes they drink the kool-aid a bit too obviously- like, blowing their load over the mere suggestion that cane creek might release a standard-headtube angleset, and banging on about it for half a page, about how much of a gamechanger it would be… even though Works Components already made one!

iolo
    Free Member

He said the same thing about the 2005 S Works Enduro and to be honest he was right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craig5

It dose look like a blinder. 650b wheels yes, but strangely jonesy makes no mention of them in the review. Lets see whats said in next months 650b enduro bike test.

edd

Looks aren’t everything but I think it looks great.

crankrider
    Free Member

That YT looks amazing, they quote price at £3300 then they quote 3 different model prices so what was the cost?

OT but Dirt do my head in nowdays, had a subscription bought for me by the OH but wont be renewing.

The mag seems to get thinner in physical size and has less real content each issue.

Jones writes about riding bikes in an odd manner and constantly bangs on about XL this XL that….

The last bit of my rant is that they seem to be so ‘in’ with certain brands – just look at the article about people ‘stealing’ the narrow/wide SRAM ring design, it is totally misguided as i bought one for a shimano setup and would not have bought the ‘real deal’ SRAM product anyway due to changing so many parts over…. he also ranted about going to your lbs and ironically then praise YT industries, Superstar etc for their direct to customer pricing and business.

Used to be a great mag, now just tripe….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Steve Jones said this?

If yes, it’s automatically shit, should be consigned to the dustbin of history and then set on fire. The ashes then need to be secretly dumped at sea, lest we suffer a pandemic of Steve Jones bullshit.

andeh

He does ride, and review, bikes for a living, he probably knows what he’s on about, even if it is disguised in reams of testiculation.

Also, bike looks amazing!

crankrider
    Free Member

He does ride, and review, bikes for a living, he probably knows what he’s on about, even if it is disguised in reams of testiculation.

Dont get me wrong, he was a good rider in his day and probably does know his bikes but he cant seem to put it down on paper in a way i can understand properly…

Usually though, if he thinks something is rather good, it is… though he does hate fox at every opportunity and mention ‘friendly’ to Dirt companies quite often…

andeh

It must be quite hard writing qualitatively about bikes though. It’s easy to say “it’s this much faster”, but trying to describe how a bike rides is completely different.

Anyway, anybody care to post the article? 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

godzilla
    Free Member

I’m very very tempted, looking forward to seeing the other spec bikes, i wonder if they do one with Pikes.

Speeder

The XL obsession is interesting. He must believe that the sizing carries on through the ranges or it wouldn’t get so much coverage. I have to admit as a 5’8″ giant that I don’t get it and certainly if I was his editor I’d be telling him to reign it in a bit or get more appropriately sized testers for each bike if they come in in a size that wouldn’t suit him as it’s just dull.

godzilla – Member
    I’m very very tempted, looking forward to seeing the other spec bikes, i wonder if they do one with Pikes.

As much as I love my DeVilles I can’t help thinking they should offer an alternative suspension option on their top bike. I’m sure that the service issue puts a lot of people off purchasing these with the BOS stuff on.

Lovely looking bike whatever the wheel size.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Dirt is shit and it seems everyone knows it. How many threads are getting filled up whinging about one opinion no more constructive than the average PB commenter?

Nice bike.

Bin.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It will most likely come with Pikes on the lower spec models judging how YT spec the not limited edition/pro models.

kimbers

I still like dirt and respect jonseys opinon

though he does have an obsession with l/xl sizings

its still the best bike mag out there!

and Id be willing to take a punt on a capra, if i hadnt just bought a bike

wiggles
    Free Member

??Didn’t picture him as a biker myself.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Really nice looking bike but if it’s 170 travel that’s more than I need for xc duties. YT going from strength to strength how long before we see a carbon Tues? Would be interested in similar bike with 140/150 travel and as for BOS I am blown away by my Idylle Rare air and Stoy shock probably doesn’t make me much faster but feel more comfortable and hand/arm fatigue whilst riding dh all day is reduced in comparison to the number of Fox 40’s I have run before. Do people think that Dirt may be influenced by the amount of advertising YT take out in their mag as surely they wouldn’t struggle to fill these pages.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Has anyone been on the YT website? No mention of an XL….

mrflaky
    Free Member

I appear to have ordered one 🙂

Andyfish
    Free Member

Me too, fingers kept slipping on the keyboard and before I knew it – ordered.
    Still have to announce its appearance to the missus somehow………

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Shame there’s no room for a water bottle, I might have been tempted myself.

happyrider
    Free Member

Looking forward to hearing what those that buy them think.

mrflaky
    Free Member

Andyfish – which one did you go for, couldnt resist the BOS goodness myself, it was actually the misses who made me do it, she got fed up with my mumblings, plus I think she has her eye on something she wants…..

warren569
    Free Member

I’ve been left completely confused with the Dirt reviews of late, especially with regard to the trail/enduro categories. A few copies back, they were banging on about 29’er enduro bikes being the future, although LT 29’er enduro bikes were “probably too much bike for UK”. The next issue they announce the Capra and say it is a game changer but no mention of it’s suitability for UK riding, or it’s ability vs the Enduro 29’er etc. I did note there was absolutely no mention of the wheel size in the Capra review either, to avoid highlighting this conflict no doubt?

kayak23

mikewsmith
    Free Member

has he actually ridden it?

Wait till you actually see one

happyrider
    Free Member

Has anyone got one yet?

maico
    Free Member

The Capra Pro scored a rare 10/10 in the may issue of the MBR enduro bike group test.
    The Boss suspension (170mm Deville TRC/Kirk shock) in particular being praised. The Pikes reign at the top didn’t last very long !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

maico – Member

The Capra Pro scored a rare 10/10 in the may issue of the MBR enduro bike group test.
    The Boss suspension (170mm Deville TRC/Kirk shock) in particular being praised. The Pikes reign at the top didn’t last very long !

The Pikes ‘reign’ will last longer than a BOS contract with whatever distributor is dealing with them this month.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

scored a rare 10/10 in the may issue of the MBR

I’m sure that only came when you got the back page ad and several in the mag. Forgetting the actual score (as from when I used to read it the score could have nothing to do with the review and sometimes appeared to be added by someone else/advertising department) what did they say about it?

hora
    Free Member

I stopped buying dirt. Compare it to a dirt mag from 2yrs ago and its insulting thin and light on content.

widge34
    Free Member

I have ridden the excact bike shown in the magazine. It’s a large. I’m 5ft 9 and it’s too big for me. Couldn’t believe how slack it’s front end felt.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in a good or bad way?

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve decided I want one but delivery estimate of week 37 means you won’t get to ride it until the summer’s over. Unless you want the basic one. They do look lovely though.

widge34
    Free Member

In a good way.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

How was standover clearance on the medium?

Northwind

Dead keen to try my mate’s when it turns up, the package is ridiculous value. Just the wait period that put me off really. Think you’ve got to be a bit brave to order a bike that hardly anyone has even seen never mind ridden mind- great reviews are one thing but nothing shows up issues in a bike or component like giving 500 of them to dobbers 😆

philfive
    Free Member

Would a more proven suspension package be better? I.E pikes and a CCDB air?

cookeaa

As a supposed Trail/Enduro bike I can’t help thinking 170/170 travel on the Capra “pro” seems a bit much TBH, in my mind that’s verging on being a “Mini DH” bike rather than an “Enduro” or “trail” bike, the “Comp” version is 160/165 apparently (and has a Pike RCT3) which is still quite a bit of travel but perhaps a more sensible choice.

As a bike you’d have to live with here in the UK how does the Capra really compare with something like a Process 153 or an ariel 152/162?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘YT Ind. Capra’ is closed to new replies.