• This topic has 148 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Youtube – cyclist knocked off bike…
  • Cougar

Yeah, but if you look at her road position at the start of the video:

I’m struggling to see how she didn’t see him.

If she was looking right, she’d have seen the accident. If she was looking left, she’d have seen him go down. Far as I can tell, anyway. She must’ve been daydreaming, surely.

Cougar

when it flips between clip you lose vital seconds in the recording

It says it saves every five minutes; do you get a load of five-minute clips, then?

warton
    Free Member

I think what these videos show is there are idiots on this world. Some drive cars, some ride bikes. Unfortunately idiots in cars do a lot more damage than idiots on bikes.

DezB
    Free Member

vital seconds

Er, can’t say I’ve ever lost “vital seconds”! 😆
    Whaddaya want for 15 quid?

Here’s my last example loaded to Youtube – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqICht1HZF8

Yes, it cuts the files down into 5 min .avi files. Makes it easier to go through to find the ‘good bits’. Any bigger and editing would be a bit of a bind.

(btw, some quality is lost loading to youtube, but they are by no means HD)

GrahamS

I think what these videos show is there are idiots on this world. Some drive cars..

This is quite an impressive linked video too:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWENoBDxuS4[/video]

Indignant squeaky-voiced weegie ned: “Ye seen me indakaten. Ye seen me f**kin indakaten ya stupit c***”

Yeah, I’m not sure you’ve entirely grasped exactly how the indicating thing works there pal. Specifically, it doesn’t actually allow you to pass directly through other road users 😯

The AirZound was probably more useful than the camera on that one!

DezB
    Free Member

F^&*ing amazing. He actually hits him. Tries to push him out of the way because he has his indicator on. I probably would’ve got a beating there as I would have totally lost it!

GrahamS

I wonder what his response would be if someone driving an HGV did exactly the same thing to him?

Lifer
    Free Member

Sorry Dez haven’t got sound, did you hit that woman in the mini after she pulled out on you?

D0NK

Tries to push him out of the way because he has his indicator on.

woman tried to left hook me the other week, I followed her home (she was turning into an estate) her excuse was that she was indicating so it was OK. She was behind me, indicated left, started to overtake, didn’t complete the overtake turned left, but it was OK because she was indicating. Nowadays indicating means being allowed to push cyclists around the road. apparently.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry Dez haven’t got sound, did you hit that woman in the mini after she pulled out on you?

Ha! Sound wouldn’t have helped as I’ve dubbed stupid music over it! (to hide my swearing mainly)
    Yes, I did, but only because the dozy mare actually STOPPED right in front of me. I saw her coming out (always happens there), so slowed to time the pass behind her. So she stops. Right across the cycle lane. Duh.

Cougar

Here’s my last example loaded to Youtube

Ta. Not the best for recording l33t skilz on the trail, but ideal for documenting myopic halfwits in Minis, it’d seem. Cool.

Sorry Dez haven’t got sound

It’s better that way, trust me.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s better that way, trust me.

😆 (see above)

Cougar

Wow, yeah. Saved him getting mashed. Gotta get me one of those. (-:

billysugger
    Free Member

Some reactionary modwannabe will probably report me for sharing my own personal experiences but here goes..

I’ve driven tens of thousands of miles, seen good and bad male and female drivers but there is definitely a trend I have noticed. When a car approaches the road I am on from a side road and the person is looking left it is more often than not a woman. IME and all that.

I have male friends who are less coordinated and aware when driving than female friends but this does seem to be a trend.

DezB
    Free Member

did you hit that woman in the mini after she pulled out on you?

Hang on, just read this again… No, I’d never hit a woman. Even if she is a myopic halfwit!

GrahamS

When a car approaches the road I am on from a side road and the person is looking left it is more often than not a woman. IME and all that.

I’m not sure looking left is exactly a fault. Surely folk should check BOTH ways at junctions?

Yes traffic will be coming from the right, but anything could be happening to your left: someone doing an odd manoeuvre or pulling out a driveway/shop next to the junction, a pedestrian crossing from the left, a cyclist lying in the road after being hit…

BoardinBob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWENoBDxuS4

Indignant squeaky-voiced weegie ned: “Ye seen me indakaten. Ye seen me f**kin indakaten ya stupit c***”

Yeah, I’m not sure you’ve entirely grasped exactly how the indicating thing works there pal. Specifically, it doesn’t actually allow you to pass directly through other road users

This guy seems to be a bit overzealous with what he considers dangerous. For every genuine incident he posts about 10 others where he simply doesn’t like what the driver’s done i.e. a guy doing a u-turn at a quiet junction. I cycle a lot of the roads in his videos and never have anywhere near the number of problems he thinks he has.

Lifer
    Free Member

Hang on, just read this again… No, I’d never hit a woman. Even if she is a myopic halfwit!

😆

Could see you slowing down but wasn’t sure if your bike and her motorcar had made contact (better?). She didn’t look very apologetic…

Lifer
    Free Member

This guy seems to be a bit overzealous with what he considers dangerous. For every genuine incident he posts about 10 others where he simply doesn’t like what the driver’s done i.e. a guy doing a u-turn at a quiet junction. I cycle a lot of the roads in his videos and never have anywhere near the number of problems he thinks he has.

I think that’s the same with a lot of the guys who regularly post that sort of vid. I do like this one though (bad words NSFW IIRC)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI[/video]

“I’ve just been closed out once by this massive metal machine of death, I know I’ll try again.”

Crazy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lifer – on that vid the second filtering looked fine assuming as it appeared stationary traffic ahead of the truck. The first was stupid tho.

Anyone riding a recumbent in traffic is daft IMO – you lose a lot of your own visibility and its much harder for cars to see you

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunun…

Curse you JandemTeremy!!!

😡

billysugger
    Free Member

Yes traffic will be coming from the right, but anything could be happening to your left: someone doing an odd manoeuvre or pulling out a driveway/shop next to the junction, a pedestrian crossing from the left, a cyclist lying in the road after being hit

So your first instinct is to look left? Don’t know about anyone else but I roll up to a junction looking right when I know this lane is clear I’ll then look left. I’m talking about people who look to get fliers from give way junctions, not stop junctions.

I’ve ridden motorbikes for a good 10 years and I see a lot of people caning it up to a give way all the while looking left. This used to scare the bejeesus out of me.

A couple of years back it was a farmer looking left while crossing my carriageway that nearly did for me.

I could start a thread about farmers and illegal vehicles/shit strewn roads blah blah

warton
    Free Member

lifer, that proves my point! there are idiots on bikes as wel!

Lifer
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Lifer – on that vid the second filtering looked fine assuming as it appeared stationary traffic ahead of the truck. The first was stupid tho.

Anyone riding a recumbent in traffic is daft IMO – you lose a lot of your own visibility and its much harder for cars to see you

True but didn’t look like much room.

If you read his comments he says he hasn’t had an incident with not being seen. I reckon it’s because it’s so unsual it stands out a mile

GrahamS

This guy seems to be a bit overzealous with what he considers dangerous. For every genuine incident he posts about 10 others where he simply doesn’t like what the driver’s done

Agreed, there are quite a few like him (see magnatom for example). In a way I’m glad they are trying to highlight cyclist safety, but sometimes I don’t think they do us any favours.

However that wee ned example seemed quite real. The guy actually pushed directly into him.

She didn’t look very apologetic…

Yeah, but she was pretty enough to get away with a smile 😀

GrahamS

So your first instinct is to look left? Don’t know about anyone else but I roll up to a junction looking right when I know this lane is clear I’ll then look left.

Depends on the junction, but yeah I’ll sometimes look left first to make sure I’ve got somewhere to go before watching to the right for a suitable gap, then finally checking left again as I start to pull off.

Obviously only looking left is plain stupid, but so is only looking right which is what your earlier post seemed to advocate.

Lifer
    Free Member

There are a lot of examples of drivers doing stupid things and causing/nearly causing accidents but there is also a lot of belligerent riding which is almost looking for a reaction.

I think another problem the OP vid highlights is our trust for other road users, the woman assumed because the black car was going that it was safe. My housemate had a accident last week, a woman coming off her drive & turning right – housemate coming from her left. She was flashed by a car coming from her right and just pulled straight out in front of my mate, assumed it was safe because the person coming the other way let her out.

DezB
    Free Member

he says he hasn’t had an incident with not being seen.

He either hasn’t been doing it much, or he’s a blimmin liar! I’ve had incidents where I haven’t been seen in my car!!

DezB
    Free Member

She didn’t look very apologetic…
    Yeah, but she was pretty enough to get away with a smile

If you look closely she is actually saying “Sorry”. Yep, she stopped right in front of me to say sorry. She got called a “dozy tart” in return iirc.

billysugger
    Free Member

You’re so money supermarket STW Graham.

Just don’t still be rolling up to junctions looking left when there’s traffic approaching from your right and we’ll all be happy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just to go back to the original vid.

The cyclist didn’t appear to take any avoiding action of the first car the one that turned right into him.

appears to have well more than a second to shout/ hit the brakes/ swerve.

While the drivers clearly are 100% at fault both morally and legally I would be well cross with myself if I got hit there as there was time and room to take some avoiding action / alert the car driver.

I have shouted at car drivers about to make that move and they have stopped before hitting me.

DezB
    Free Member

The cyclist didn’t appear to take any avoiding action of the first car the one that turned right into him.

Holy shit, I hope that’s a joke.
    If not, that’s gonna be a TJ classic.

antigee

junction outside our house regular minor shunts – cardrivers look right only and pull out turning left to join main rd – bus at bus stop, couple of cars stopped behind it – so bang

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does Edinburgh have a speakers corner?

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

So your first instinct is to look left? Don’t know about anyone else but I roll up to a junction looking right when I know this lane is clear I’ll then look left. I’m talking about people who look to get fliers from give way junctions, not stop junctions.

hear hear

If I’m approaching a GIVE WAY for me, I’ll always look at the direction of closest oncoming traffic first (i.e. right -in the uk, unless it’s a one way from the left).

As a driver + cyclist that’s suffered T-bones in both forms of transit, I know that this will provide confidence to the oncoming drivers/cyclist/motorcyclists so that they won’t feel quite so much of a need to slam on the brakes. Once I’ve actually stopped I’ll start looking other directions. Even if I don’t need to stop, I make sure I do double take left-right-left-right, just keeping an eye out for dodgy peds/cyclist on the pavement as much as anything that have taken me by surprise before I even think about crossing the white line.

antigee

TandemJeremy – Member
    Just to go back to the original vid.

The cyclist didn’t appear to take any avoiding action of the first car the one that turned right into him

appeared to me to pull to left and brake

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dez

read it in conjunction with

While the drivers clearly are 100% at fault both morally and legally

However from the car starting the dangerous manoeuvre to the impact is well over a second.

In similar circumstances a shout at the car has caused them to stop and the cyclist does not appear to even touch his brakes / shout or swerve

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

appeared to me to pull to left and brake

Hmmm- maybe you are right after another look

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve been beeped at in my car at t-junctions because I’ve not pulled out in front of cyclists that have right of way, or because I refuse to overtake a cyclist dangerously. I’ve said it before, but a lot of drivers don’t seem to register cyclists as living human beings with thoughts, feelings and families, but as irritating objects that just get in the way. :s

AlexSimon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWENoBDxuS4

Yeah, I’m not sure you’ve entirely grasped exactly how the indicating thing works there pal. Specifically, it doesn’t actually allow you to pass directly through other road users

I’ve absolutely no idea how he manages to stay so calm when faced by such stupidity and obnoxiousness. The guy is clearly going to do it again and again.

I probably would’ve got a beating there as I would have totally lost it!

Me too – although there were a few cyclists around for support.

Every time I cycle on a busy main road, there’s a stupid ‘creep past, pull in, stop’ or someone will pass when the road is too narrow and cars are coming the other way, forcing them to pull in before I’d like.

I don’t know how people manage it day-in day-out.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Youtube – cyclist knocked off bike…’ is closed to new replies.