Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Youth hostel security for bikes
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience or opinions of how safe your bike is in a yha bike shed. I’m off up to the lakes for a week, for hopefully some great mountain biking and will staying in youth hostels.

I currently don’t have a lock (as I never leave my bike) so need to get one before we go, but for some of the days we’ll be leaving the car behind, and I’m not overly keen of on adding a 3kg uber-lock to the already long list of essentials (tools, change of clothes, waterproofs, food, my backpack’s getting full) on a 45km, 2000m epic.

Is that kind of lock overkill for a youth hostel in the Lakes (I have a Orange 5 Pro)? My instinct is maybe yes, but is it worth the risk? I’ve always used tiny cable locks in the past and didn’t think twice, when I had a cheap bike.

Anyone got any suggestions, or experience to share on this?

roblerner
    Free Member

this is probably one of the strongest locks you can buy, better than big chunky chain locks. It’s still ~2kg but is quite compact (smaller means less space to fit lock-busting tools in).

I’ve never stored by bike in a YH, but I would take a big lock. You might think carrying around 2kg of lock will suck but I can promise you losing your bike will be worse.

trail_rat
    Free Member

have stored bikes in many hostels while touring , here , in nz , in aus and generally they have somewhere you can store bikes.(shed or such like) I then use a smallish 12.99 deterant lock from abus , weighs sub kg.

Not trying to stop thiefs just people walking off

robinbetts
    Free Member

this is probably one of the strongest locks you can buy,

roblerner, what lock is it?

All locks are ultimatly just a deterant, but the question is, how likely is it that someone coming to yha will have bolt cutters etc with them…

roblerner
    Free Member

this one (click)

Your average youth hostel go-er won’t take bolt cutters, but bike thieves who know people with expensive bikes stay in youth hostels without good locks probably take an array of stuff with them!

13thfloormonk

We stored two relatively expensive hardtails and one super expensive Whyte at Glen Nevis, they’ve got a big padlocked shed, and we used two £10 kryptonite cables as well. Didn’t really occur to me to worry about the bikes, but i sleep so badly in rooms full of fourteen other cattle guys that i’d hear any potential thieves long before they got near the bikes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Youth hostel security for bikes’ is closed to new replies.