Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You're going to hate me but… (Dilemma content)
  • Kryton57

Yep, re-read the STW review – states a firm ride, which isnt what I’m after.

Anyone here who can comment on the RZ120’s so called firm ride?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Your in london?
    Evans stock Trek and Ghost

LimboJimbo

My wife has a RZ120 (with a Monarch) and after a bit of faffing with shock pressures she doesn’t find it firm at all. It climbs well, descends well and isn’t too weighty. Her only criticism is the stand over height isn’t brilliant.

I have a T120 and I flippin love it. It’s quite slack for a 120 and reminds me of my old 456. I stuck Nevegals, a wider bar and a chain device and it did me two weeks in the Alps admirably. The new is meant to be a bit lighter, although I don’t think mine’s particularly heavy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I would give my self more time while buying. Whats the rush its winter. You can demo bikes on evans rides, afan, CyB, mates etc. Treat it as a days riding and youw ont have lost anything and had a great time. Hopefully you will even have found that elusive beast the perfect bike 😉 We all use different bikes, I dont know why so many people base their entire buying choice on someone elses opinion without throwing a leg over a few bikes before dropping several £k on a bike they have never ridden?

jedi

i never test ride bikes 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

The Specialized Camber should be on your list rather than or as well as the Epic, 2011’s being sold off at pretty good prices (expert or pro), use the rest of your budget to get a decent wheelset and some nice finishing kit and you’ve got a sorted bike – my mate got an Expert and replaced the rear with a 521/pro 2 for £1800 and is loving it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I went for an Anthem without more than a sit on one, and use it for the type of riding you suggest and its the best full susser I’ve ever riden. Not sure why you need 120mm though surely its about how the bike rides?

I used to ride a 130mm travel bike and the Anthem is better in every way. It climbs like nothing else, fast agile handling and feels very nimble.

Some bargains on 2011 anthems which are better specced than 2012.

Kryton57

I looked at the Camber, seemed a tad, well, boring… sorry.

T120 time tomorrow…. I’ll feedback.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’m sure Head For The Hills in Dorking have some Trek demo bikes – not sure which ones, but a couple of friends tried them there and ended up buying them! I’ve always found them very helpful.

simondbarnes

Trek – don’t supply test bikes anymore

Really? You mean I wasted my time this afternoon choosing the 2012 Trek demo fleet for the shop I work at?

Spesh – Pay £60 for the bike to be delivered to LBS for testing.

Only if your local Spesh test centre hasn’t got the model/size that you’re after in their own demo fleet.

Kryton57

Sorry Simon, just relaying what my LBS’s have been telling me – where are you – maybe I can test a bike and you might sell me one eh?

Re the spesh – true.

simondbarnes

Altrincham, just South of Manchester.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just put a build together yourself starting with something this
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FTTITFTMCARRS/titus-ftm-carbon-frame-and-monarch-shock
    lighter ,better value and can be specced with your own preferences and plenty enough bike for your riding.

Kryton57

Simon, i’ll do you a deal – lend me a 2012 EX8 to test in t’peaks for a weekend soon and if I buy one, I’ll buy it from you.

Thoughts?

simondbarnes

What size are you after?

Kryton57

P.S. I’m happy to bring the biscuits….

Kryton57

‘kin ‘ell that was quick.

18.5 I believe – I’m 5.11 and 3/4 with a 31″ inside leg. The black one.

simondbarnes

YGM

knottyknotty
    Free Member

just bought this years top fuel 9, first real ride at coed enduro bike was awesome ,only 100 mm but coped extremely well.best thing being i got 1000 quid off retail price after evans price matched a price i found in buckinghamshire .my other ride is a scott mc genius and although i love it ,the trek point and go gave me so much more confidence on the singletrack sections and climbing was a dream with the douBle lockout ,43 and loving it 3 hours 50 for 50k, but its not about the bike 😉

showerman
    Free Member

never test ridden a bike before buying just buy and ride, always need a little tweek to make fit correctly.Have a canyon and you cannot beat the price but i just hope the do not now start uping their prices as they now have a foot hold in the market place

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Santa cruz superlite.

benjbish

I’ve got a Superlight recently. Absolutely love it, very little to go wrong. I’m 16 stone and no problems with bottoming out. Feels more burly riding it than you would expect. There’s some good deals around. Might be worth asking a shop to spec you a bike. I’ve gone with Fox Floats and they seem very good.

Kryton57

Well, the T120’s a star isnt it. Taut, lightish , the comfy side of firm, and very eager and aggressive. Well damped too as I didnt feel the rear moving too much at all. I’d be happy to ride that anywhere.

Thats the marker thrown down…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ride an Anthem to move the marker some what

sparkyspice
    Free Member

ACTiV of Folkestone will let you test the Trek Range and I’m sure they’ve got a couple of Ally Ex’s, and also a Rumblefish (Gary Fisher 29er). 01303 240110.
    If they haven’t got the bike you want they’ll let you borrow their own bike if it helps.
    My EX9.9 rocks!!! 50% of the bikes round here are EX’s of various grades and ages – they just work!

Kevevs
    Free Member

people aren’t gonna hete you for the bike choice you make. Gotta try harder..

Nobby

If Activ have got demos you can try there’s enough local riding to give ’em a workout. The locals are always out & about and the Team Active riders I’ve met are always willing to show folk around.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I want to test a Santa cruz tallboy, a ibis SLR and a Cannondale Jekyll ultimate, any clues on where to start with this quest?

London based But happy to go to say south Wales to try.

Nobby

For Cannondale try Evans or Chelmer Cycles (in Chelmsford, Santa Cruz used to have demo bikes that any of their dealers could call upon if available.

Ibis – good luck with that one.

flyingfox
    Free Member

I didn’t rate the Ghost when I tried it but not everyone is the same and I guess I cannot go against all the positive reviews it has had. I tried the Lapierre X-Flow and it blew me away though. I am definitely getting some of those in as demo bikes now.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘You're going to hate me but… (Dilemma content)’ is closed to new replies.