Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 316 total)
  • You're Fatist!
  • oldboy
    Free Member

“Fatness is not always due to over-eating.

Just reading Stalingrad by Antony Beevor and the above made me smile!

footflaps

Insulin response
    Genetics
    metabolism
    etc etc

You still have to eat (too much) to become fat though, just that it might not be a conscious choice.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

To lighten the mood a little on this lovely sunny Friday, here is something that really did happen.

A fox sat in my garden

peteimpreza

MSP – nope.

With all of those if you eat too much you get fat.

Its a simple equation. Too may calories in vs those used and you put on weight.

Those conditions may make it harder to control but the principle is the same.

slowoldman

Ah…

slowoldman

Insulin response
    Genetics
    metabolism
    etc etc

…or sitting on your arse eating supermarket microwaveable crap because you don’t have time to cook a sensible meal. After all there are 3 hours of soaps to watch. Not to mention daytime TV.

Apparently 2/3rds of the UK population are now deemed overweight or obese. Don’t tell me the human race is suddenly developing a balloon gene.

Meanwhile, how much food gets thrown away? It’s simple overindulgence, wastefulness and laziness. So there.

xterramac
    Free Member

eat less and/or move more = weight loss. Its not hard 🙄 As for all the old cobblers about genetics, insulin response, metabolism etc, stick a cork in it (literally) that should help

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyway…I once had a petrol station with a shop & one day this ‘large’girl’ came in, filled up with petrol & came in the shop. She looked at all the lovely confectionery with a big grin on her face & said out loud, ‘right, what do I want’? & I said to myself, ‘your jaws wiring together’.
    She bought something like a Mars bar, 2 bags of crisps, a bag of boiled sweets & the obligatory Diet Coke.

footflaps

Its not hard

If you’ve spent 20 odd years using food as a coping mechanism for emotional issues, you’re not exactly going to be able to just stop. Bit like telling an anorexic to ‘just eat more’.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

FWIW – I just checked and I count as clinically obese at the moment* and I still found the retort funny

I guess it is true that us fatties are all self haters

*Actively looking to shift the weight I put on while sat around waiting for my foot to reattach to the leg. I have identified my main calorie source and reduced the intake by ~40%-60% and gradually increasing exercise as the leg gets stronger

binners

esselgruntfuttock – diet coke dissolves calories. Tsk! Everyone knows that!! 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Meanwhile, how much food gets thrown away?

Can’t be much if all these people are getting fat.

legend
    Free Member

A fox sat in my garden

Look at it just sitting there! It’d better not come crying on here when it ends up fat!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – diet coke dissolves calories. Tsk! Everyone knows that!!

Ha, she needed to drink more of it then!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

If you’ve spent 20 odd years using food as a coping mechanism for emotional issues, you’re not exactly going to be able to just stop.

Have you considered exercise as an alternative…

piemonster

When did bullying and tormenting people become a fun pastime?

Primary School, at the latest.

crankrider
    Free Member

Obesity due to illness is a modern day excuse and a load of rubbish in most cases.

Embarrassing bodies did tests on a family of 3 fatties who were convinced it was because they had a genetic predisposition – turned out their metabolism was faster than the slim doctor testing them and there were NO medical reasons to explain their weight.

It is rather simple, we eat food now that wasn’t available 20 years ago and we eat lots of it.

If we don’t crack down on this namby pamby crap where it is ok to be a lard-arse society is going to have one hell of a problem a few years down the line!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

i confess I am fattist. as human beings we are equipped with a brain that knows whats good or bad for us. apparently reports say being fat is the normal now. thats a shame but on the whole it is an individuals problem to resolve. weight control isnt rocket science, eat less, do more exercise. but it seems the general population cant do it. shame. it’ll be the death of us.

I like the fox picture.

crankrider
    Free Member

My OH is thin and she gets quite a bit of abuse from random fat women!

Blow away in the wind, she needs to eat something…. (she is a size 6-8, her BMI is the low end of normal!!)

The fatties are fighting back!

legend
    Free Member

The fatties are fighting back!

Dinnae worry, they’ll wear themselves out in no time

jon1973
    Free Member

human beings we are equipped with a brain that knows whats good or bad for us

We’re also equipped with a brain that should make us at least slightly empathetic towards other humans beings, but that doesn’t seem to stop a lot of people thinking it’s OK to openly insult a complete stranger because they’re overweight.

crankrider
    Free Member

We’re also equipped with a brain that should make us at least slightly empathetic towards other humans beings, but that doesn’t seem to stop a lot of people thinking it’s OK to openly insult a complete stranger because they’re overweight.

Jon – Though i would not go so far as to insult strangers in public (the internet will have to do!) will you show such empathy when the NHS is overrun by people with type 2 diabetes and other such obesity related illnesses?

wwaswas

My OH is thin and she gets quite a bit of abuse from random fat women!

There was a fair bit of muttering around my wife when she started getting near her goal weight at Weight Watchers. There seemed to be a reasonable proportion of attendees who felt that her success was somehow an insult directed at them.

Just saw this on twitter though which kind of sums up my attitude for most of this;

You have fat
    You are not fat
    You have fingernails
    You are not fingernails

It does upset me when I see people who’s health is suffering due to their weight (including family members) but often it’s a lifetime of choices that lead them to that place (even when there isn’t a medical condition at the heart of it) and finding a way out isn’t easy.

jon1973
    Free Member

Jon – Though i would not go so far as to insult strangers in public (the internet will have to do!) will you show such empathy when the NHS is overrun by people with type 2 diabetes and other such obesity related illnesses?

I just saying that insulting someone (like the OP gave an example of) apart from not being very nice, isn’t going to be the trigger to make them loose weight. Will you go on insulting people even when you realise it doesn’t solve the problem?

molgrips
    Free Member

Embarrassing bodies did tests on a family of 3 fatties who were convinced it was because they had a genetic predisposition

There is definitely a genetic predisposition to fatness. No question. However, it’s a predisposition to get fat IF you stuff your face. And it’s about more than basal metabolic rate too.

As for the term ‘over-eating’ – that’s a bit vague. The amount you should eat to maintain a decent weight varies on loads of factors, so one person’s over-eating is another person’s diet.

crankrider
    Free Member

Will you go on insulting people even when you realise it doesn’t solve the problem?

As I said above Jon, I would not insult strangers in public – that is wrong but I will state my opinion on places like this and to people I know: Being Obese is mostly due to you eating too much and not being active enough, simple.

There is definitely a genetic predisposition to fatness. No question. However, it’s a predisposition to get fat IF you stuff your face. And it’s about more than basal metabolic rate too.

That is undeniable – but just how many have these gene and low metabolic rate? – Why is obesity a relatively new problem, have our genes changed over the last 20 years? I am certain food and lifestyles have (junk food, cars ,office working etc etc…)

jon1973
    Free Member

As I said above Jon, I would not insult strangers in public – that is wrong

Then we agree. I’m not denying that obesity is an issue, far from it.

molgrips
    Free Member

as human beings we are equipped with a brain that knows whats good or bad for us.

Are we hells bells. The exact opposite, in fact.

crankrider
    Free Member

Then we agree.

On that yes – but I still think somebody needs to tell fat people they are fat – family, doctor, co-worker, who knows but it needs doing before we are all shopping at jackamo and simply be!

andyrm
    Free Member

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Maybe that woman had a binge eating disorder or bulimia. That comment could have pushed her over the edge.

There ARE conditions that cause you to put on weight more easily/make it harder to lose weight, particularly if you’re female. Medications can do that too – either triggering increased appetite, or slowing the metabolism.

Thyroid disorders
    Coeliac disease (and some other autoimmune conditions)
    Polycystic ovary syndrome
    Diabetes
    Endometriosis

Steroid medication
    Contraceptives
    Hormone replacement therapy
    Antidepressants

To name but a few.

Yes, MUCH of the obesity we see is down to eating too much/wrong food and not being active enough. But not every single obese person falls into the category of lazy fat pie-munching slob.

In case you didn’t notice, obesity is more of a problem for the poor. Because junk food is cheap, and fruit and vegetables and healthy foods are less cheap. If the fat haters on here feel that strongly about preventing obesity, instead of pointing the finger, why don’t you go volunteer to give cooking classes to poorer families and educate them about food, or give your time to community gardens to help them access fresh fruit and veg. You know, do something constructive about the problem instead of pointing the finger at folk.

oldboy
    Free Member

Yes, MUCH of the obesity we see is down to eating too much/wrong food and not being active enough.

and the other reasons are…..?

aracer
    Free Member

Wear the fox hat

seosamh77
    Free Member

somethings can make you balloon up, guy I know takes steroids forsomething and he blew up something else, was always a skinny wee guy but there is a limit to it. If you are twice the weight you should be, you are eating too much, regardless of condition.

Ps I’m fat, about 4 stone or so overweight, but it’s purely becasue I eat shedloads! As are 99% of people.

aracer
    Free Member

<applause> I’m as fattist as the next active bloke who has no problem controlling his weight* but you have to realise that fundamentally whilst people with this problem don’t often have anything physically wrong with them, a lot have mental problems. Something I have a lot more sympathy for, being in the course of sorting out the issues my mum has due to similar problems.

Often suggested, but I’m not sure it’s actually true – it’s perfectly possible to eat very healthily cheaply, probably cheaper than eating junk. The issue as you identify is about education, as people often don’t know how.

* actually that’s not entirely true – having done no exercise at all for the best part of 3 months this winter I’ve piled on the weight** and it will probably take me twice as long to lose it.

** it’s all relative though – I’m now in 32″ trousers!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok – OP turns a well known joke into a real time (???) experience – and its Friday (hint?). Ok there is a nasty undertone in the story but lets keep some perspective.

BMI – reject, just look at all those rugby players….etc
    Eat less, exercise more – reject, look at all those extra factors involved

Co-incidently (or not?) Chief Medical Office announces this morning that “obesity has become the norm”. And we wonder why? Not really that difficult……..

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It’s an odd and unwelcome trait that people seem to have to despise others who don’t fit into their world-view of how we should all look.
    Why do fat people generate such hatred and disgust?

Just because being slim usually means you’re healthier than someone who is fat doesn’t mean their way of living is wrong, surely?

Nasty pieces of work some people.
    What’s worse is they’re often nasty and proud of it.

ourmaninthenorth

Often suggested, but I’m not sure it’s actually true – it’s perfectly possible to eat very healthily cheaply, probably cheaper than eating junk. The issue as you identify is about education, as people often don’t know how.

Used to be a neat correlation between wealth, education and diet, i.e. poor and poorly educated and fat through eating junk food. It’s well established in public health research. But now the picture is less clear, because everyone’s getting fat. And there’s loads of research being done into this and so far the conclusion hasn’t been the simple-minded prejudice of choice: eat less, move more. Because, amazingly, humans are rather more complicated than that.

There ARE conditions that cause you to put on weight more easily/make it harder to lose weight, particularly if you’re female. Medications can do that too – either triggering increased appetite, or slowing the metabolism.

I can think of one person I know who takes some heavy anti-psychotic medication. It makes her exhausted and sleepy, her gait is affected so she finds moving around less easy, and it makes her constantly crave food every waking moment. And, just for a split second, eating takes away some of her troubles. And yet I read above that actually, none of those factors are relevant and all she needs to do is eat less and move around more.

I can think of someone else who used to be very active. They’ve spend their whole life eating whatever and moving around loads and now are going through the diagnosis of a rare heart condition which effectively rules out almost all exercise. Their weight has ballooned as they come to terms with this overnight change to 40 odd years of ingrained behaviour.

Two examples don’t make the rule, but life is never quite so cut and dried as “eat less, move around more”.

Prejudiced arseholes.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe that woman had a binge eating disorder or bulimia. That comment could have pushed her over the edge.

[fatherted]see the “woman” she’s, not real

See the fox there, that’s real [/fatherted]

derekfish
    Free Member

First World Problem and not too many folk came out of Belsen fat at that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 316 total)

The topic ‘You're Fatist!’ is closed to new replies.