Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Your worst christmas/birthday present?
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

Came down the stairs into the living room and there on the mat, on it’s stand, was a Grifter. That mental image will always be with me. Utter childhood joy.

Funny how timing is everything – I got a grifter too one Christmas, but it was the year that everyone (and I really do mean everyone) was getting a BMX. My mum knew what I wanted but decided she knew best and went for the grifter because the saddle looked more comfortable. I can’t claim it was the worst gift I ever got, but I still feel the pain today.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

A selection of episodes of Danger Mouse and Quackula taped off the telly.

😆

Almost the winner… DM was quite good.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh yes, a pair of indian mocashin-style house slippers. Not the coolest at age 15. Best bit though, was one was a size 8, the other a size 9.

A garden spade with woodworm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaRC_L

A plastic wasp catcher – a joint present to me & MrsD

But high on the list is the ceramic Green Man for the garden; when my wife came back that summer so, so excited that she’d found the ‘perfect Xmas pressie for you; you’ll love it” a small knot formed in my stomach. She’d been at a garden craft show with a friend.
    A lovely friend, except for her taste.

I’m also shockingly s-h-one-t at hiding my initial reaction to presents. Mrs D was blubbing at how she could have got it sooo wrong
    “I thought I knew you…” For the sake of our marriage I had to blame the friend.

grunty
    Free Member

a Petronas F1 Team golf umbrella from my brother-in-law

I don’t F1 or Golf! Perhaps he was trying to tell me something ….

IHN

I’m often accused of being tight by my family, but I’m a firm believer that shit presents are worse than no presents

A-men brother.

xcgb
    Free Member

Some related gold on here too

http://whydidyoubuymethat.com/

xcgb
    Free Member

Double post

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Kitchen scales, so shoddily made they don’t balance …

Bean bag, minus the beans … (I am NOT kidding, I should really have terminated the relationship there, but she had huge breasts, what can I say?)

hounslow
    Free Member

You guys are making me feel bad for getting an electric toothbrush for my little brother. He’s just got braces so i thought it might help.
    I don’t have a problem with anything i get given, other than socks/scarves/etc.

edlong
    Free Member

I politely informed her I would not be going to that and gave them straight back.

I’ve had some truly shockingly awful presents from various nearest and dearest over the years and without exception I’ve been extremely grateful anyway. The thought of someone going to the effort of buying me something, however misguidedly, and me throwing it back in their face just because I didn’t like it doesn’t compute for me. It really is the thought that counts, as far as I’m concerned.

bernard
    Free Member

£4.38

I gave my brother a present which cost about £5….so he deducted the 62p I had borrowed off him a couple of weeks previous (which I had forgotton about)and gave me what was left over in coppers.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Jeebus I’ve got my mum an electric toothbrush for xmas! Shittest present for me os whenever my wife buys me a book that I’ve already read. It’s happened 3 times now including this year for my birthday-she bought me the book that I was reading at the time!

IHN

It really is the thought that counts, as far as I’m concerned.

When my sister bought me the Outkast CD for my 30th, the only thought that had gone through her mind was “sh1t, I’m in a motorway service station on my way to see my brother for his 30th birthday and I haven’t bought a present”.

She got the CD back.

zippykona

A wine bottle stop. I’ve never even had a glass of wine in my entire life.

IHN

Use it as a butt plug.

neilthewheel

This was hardly my parents’ fault…but my 9th birthday coincided with a flu epidemic. For a week before and after my birthday, the local bike shop was closed because both the old boys who ran it were ill. My new bike was inside. Every day I would peer through the window into the darkened shop, imagining I could see my new bike among the line-up of front wheels.
    Meanwhile, on my actual birthday, all I got was a bar of Bournville chocolate.

robbonzo
    Free Member

My mates mum and dad got him a loo seat one year. ‘Err cheers’

maccruiskeen

Oh yes, a pair of indian mocashin-style house slippers

In a pub I used to drink in there was a ‘retired hells angel’ we used to chat too from time to time. One Christmas, all of us who knew him got little parcels through the door containing hand knitted moccasins, made from stripes of different colour left over wool. With pompoms on the toes. They were from his mum, thanking us for looking after his boy. I loved them!

tang
    Free Member

When I was 15 my dad and step mum gave me a stack of books from their own bookshelves that had been there for years. I think I had read most of them. Disappointed doesn’t come close. I think I pinched £20 out of dads wallet and spent it on hash the next day.

atlaz
    Free Member

Christmas – As a kid my grandmother gave my pyjamas she’d made. For my cousins. Who were 5 years older. And they’d refused to have them.

Birthdays – 20th birthday was my grandfather’s funeral. 21st my (supposed) best mate tried to steal my girlfriend. Sort of gave up after that.

sbob
    Free Member

My Grandad lent my Dad a small amount of money for his birthday, and as it was his 18th the interest rate was almost reasonable. 😆
    What a bastard.
    Actually that might be true but that’s another story.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In Joke LOLZ

gooner69

Surely the worst ever is that my (ex)wife bought me a Celine Dion cd.

Never have i looked that shocked since!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i got back into golf the tail end of last year, first present the wife gave me were some golf balls…

fine you say…

but they were secondhand off ebay, to add insult she didnt even wrap them and they were still int the fekin courier plastic bag!!

i was too young to remember but there is the legendary tail of dad giving mum a food mixer one year, she kicked off and sulked all day.

PMK2060

I am a twin and as children we usually ended up with the same presents. We had both asked for tents one year and when my brother unwrapped a tent I knew I would have the same. There must have been a packing error in the factory though because inside my tent box was a Wendy house. It got swapped a few days later but I cam still remember being gutted.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

18th birthday present. From my parents. One of these:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW28AAAgfXI[/video]

“you like motorbikes don’t you”

dan1980
    Free Member

Birthday: My Girlfriend of 6 years decided that my 30th birthday was the ideal day to tell me she was leaving me for another women. She did promise me she she’d make my birthday memorable, and from that point of view, it was the gift that keeps on giving.

Christmas: An expired (as it turned out when I gave it away) iTunes voucher off my brother. I’ve never used iTunes and don’t own anything apple related.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

She did promise me she she’d make my birthday memorable

Other woman joined in?

molgrips
    Free Member

all of us who knew him got little parcels through the door containing hand knitted moccasins, made from stripes of different colour left over wool

That’s actually pretty sweet.. a mother’s love is indelible isn’t it?

retro83
    Free Member

When I was 8 or so, I wanted this:

Got this:

portlyone

You must have been very xANzquGRYk!

joolzed
    Free Member

A box of SugarPuffs…. He was an A••ehole…. Still is I believe….

flip
    Free Member

This year me and the Mrs have been given a Yankee candle by her brother, my wife peeked in the bag.

I fekin hate candle sh!t

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve got a German step mother. Never really “got” her sense of humour.
    At universtiy she sent me an advent calender (well box of 24 presents) Number 24 was a block of cheese. At no point did she instruct me to put any of the present in the fridge!
    Last year I got a fire blanket as she set fire to some takeaway pizzas she put in the over to keep warm. I’ve never had a kitchen fire, I wasn’t there at the time, I don’t buy takeaway pizzas, I’m not stupid enough to put cardboard in a hot oven.
    Hey ho.
    Tim

mogrim

That flying pig’s pretty cool. My mum bought my dad an RC helicopter for his birthday last week, that was an eye-opener for my wife when she realised there’s no hope of me “growing up” either 😀

Can’t think of any particularly bad presents, although I hate getting clothes. My sister bought me some expensive trainers from the Ferrari store in Rome, don’t much like Ferraris and like their branded goods even less.

jools182
    Free Member

every year, without fail, I get boxer shorts that are too big for me

McHamish
    Free Member

every year, without fail, I get boxer shorts that are too big for me

Maybe your wife is hoping you’ll grow into them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My dads step mums mum used to buy me the most random presents …. A book of manchester uniteds greatest players.

The fa cup annual for 1995 – for christmas 1996

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Your worst christmas/birthday present?’ is closed to new replies.