Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Your weekly cycling related bigotry, courtesy of James Martin & The Daily Mail!
  • paul4stones

It's a great review of the car but she doesn't understand the comments – it's a British thing apparently!

Oh and she's sent him an email. That should sort it.

kimbers

his blog doesnt seem to be accepting any posts now?

Dark-Side

Its made the Telegraph now:story

retro83
    Free Member

Oh dear, that is unfortunate for him!

sockpuppet

walleater – Member

So ignoring the fact that the story is probably made up, a cyclist acts like a **** by banging on a car drivers roof, so the driver retaliates later on by blasting his horn as he drives passed in his silent car, scaring the crap out of the aforementioned ****? What's the problem? If I was driving an electric car and some 'One Less Car' douchebag got arsy with me, then I think this would be a pretty damn funny way to get back at him.

nice of walleater to add to the debate earlier on. (my bold, btw)

he has clearly never had this happen to him. last time it happened to me i nearly ended up under the wheels of the car behind the one with the idiot in it.

glenp
    Free Member

I suspect that walleater doesn't ride on the road at all?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Is this thread going to be bigger than FruitGate?

kimbers

im surprised the the guardian havent lept on it it is in the mail after all

i can see the bbc not wanting to out one of their own

and the times, well i fully expect a clarkson editorial nominating martin for an obe for services against whingy cyclists

allankelly

I think the reason he can sneak up on cyclists is that it's an electric car, isn't it? He is raising a valid point – electric cars are dangerous due to their silence. There's been concerns raised by blind groups, and we should have an effort from the cycling community. These things need "brum brum" noise-makers under the bonnet.

Seriously!

Cheers, al.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well it looks like the IT business is mostly made of fatfucks
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/15/james_martin_wikikicking/comments/

thefirstpancake
    Free Member

I've been thinking about this all morning, wanted to go and heckle him in Nottingham tomorrow but I decided to write a little piece about how we respond to such idiocy, here.

feenster
    Free Member

Daily Mail have removed the offending last two paras from the on-line article.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Road CC site: linky

"Surely, these comments should have been seen as unacceptable, even in the Mail on Sunday."

yuk yuk yuk 😀

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Some interesting comments on some of those articles/blogs. I particularly like the one on the guardian article where the guy reckons that the safest way to cycle is to pull into the side of the road and stop whenever you hear a vehicle approaching from behind!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A little provocative substitution…

"the safest way to walk is to pull into the side of the trail and stop whenever you hear a mountain bike approaching from behind"

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

anyone got a spideman outfit I could borrow? I fancy a trip to nottingham

clubber
    Free Member

I have to say that I find the backlash quite positive – not necessarily in the venom directed against JM that's often OTT but rather that the number of people out there who have enough of an interest in cycling to comment seems to be rapidly growing to a point where I think we'll soon get to a point where columnists actually won't feel free to make comments like this.

samuri
    Free Member

I think we'll soon get to a point where columnists actually won't feel free to make comments like this.

Assuming this happens because it clearly is unacceptable to make comments like that because it's cycl'ist rather than just restricting their freedom of speech.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, that was what I was suggesting…

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

The grovelling c0ck has issued an apology:

• 4.45pm Update:
    Regarding the The Tesla Roadster Article…
    May I take this opportunity to apologize [sic] for any offence I have caused through the article in last weekend's Mail on Sunday. It was never my intention to offend the many cyclists who share our roads across the country. What was intended to be a humorous piece was clearly misjudged. Further more I do not condone any form of reckless driving.

Once again, I am sincerely sorry for any upset caused in relation to this article.

James Martin

Too late chum, damage done

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

share our roads

*our* roads eh chum? Just whose are they?

grotty
    Free Member

I've always thought James Martin was a right royal C U Next Tuesday…and this pretty much 'firms it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just whose are they?

everyones ? Hence "our"

[edit] oooops, I didn't read the post. In that case "his" :o)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

This is all thanks to Web 2.0; facebook, twitter, comments on websites, forums… POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

AT
    Free Member

An amussing article / blog here. I like the 'Rollerball' idea.

mirror.co.uk

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is all thanks to Web 2.0; facebook, twitter, comments on websites, forums… POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

What power do the people have? The power to make a disproportionnate and deranged fuss every time an idiot writes something dim on the internet? Wow. Feel the power. 😉

feenster
    Free Member

Further more I do not condone any form of reckless driving.

So why did you write so proudly about doing it then JM?

Good that he has apolgised, but not enough for me, he needs to show that he understands why his idea of a joke was so dangerous, and offended so many.

MrAgreeable

The power to make a disproportionnate and deranged fuss

You want deranged, check out the lfgss thread. They're a bit like a bunch of 12 year olds who have just learned how to swear, but it made me laugh.

ourmaninthenorth

i do like the fact that it has PR consultant all over it.

But it is an apology nonethless, so those of you who got right proper angry (as they may say in Yorkshire), can go back home to your wives* tonight for some nice, homemade food using a James Martin recipe and consider a job well done.

Even if it was all done from yuor work computer instead of actually doing what you're paid for.

😉

*Other life partners are available.

ransos
    Free Member

The comments on The Register give a pretty good idea of who's deranged, and it's not the cyclists. Apparently, using your vehicle as a murder weapon is acceptable retribution for a minor cycling misdemeanour.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

If he didn't twig that it was "misjudged" while he was writing it, its a teeny bit late now.
    Top Tip James: If you don't 'get' why your actions get us all hot & bothered; type "cyclist" into google news, and skim read the headlines on an average day.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That lfgs thread is brilliant. I love the randomness of it:

I hpe Palestinian youths throw stones at him.

I hope he runs the tap and the water lands on a spoon, directing spray everywhere.

😀

CountZero

I read the original feature, 'cos I was interested in seeing how the Tesla shaped up, as it's had it's fair share of problems. I thought he was a coq, what with all his 'lycra-clad' crap, just using the same tired old journalistic cliche. The sad bit is that most on here are also using the Daily Hate Mail cliche for it's supposed anti-cyclist stance, when the Live mag on Sunday regularly features quality high-end bikes and kit in a very positive manner, something which was pointed out by someone on this forum a while back who is involved with the production of features, because they never turn down an opportunity to have bikes in there. The anti-cyclist thing isn't uniquely Mail, just lazy urban journalism. James is a ****t, though he does have some nice cars featured, and he owns an original Fiat 500, which is neat.

feenster
    Free Member

Wow. Feel the power.

JM is getting the combinied wrath of all cyclists who have ever been slighted by an in competent and/or aggressive driver directed towards him.

It's like we've all caught up with him at the next set of lights, and all banged on his roof at the same time.

The web has allowed all those cyclists to simultaneously give him the mother of all virtual bangs on his roof.

…but sadly though, that's probably all it is, he clearly still doesn't realise why his roof his been banged so loudly by so many

genesis
    Free Member

Anyone going to the book signing then?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I would say the most appropriate response would be some sort of critical mass style ride outside his house, if he has problems overtaking 4 cyclists lets see how he gets on with a few hundred clogging up his precious country lanes.

Toddboy
    Free Member

He should get on a bike himself, he could do with losing that double chin that he has 😈

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Your weekly cycling related bigotry, courtesy of James Martin & The Daily Mail!’ is closed to new replies.