Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Your views on ‘On-One Mary bars’
  • AB
    Free Member

Thanks

pantsonfire
    Free Member

They look weird but for some strange reason they work. I bought mine because I suffer from numb hands. I tried my mates Single speed Inbred which had them fitted and I got a lot more miles before the pins and needles set in so I bought a pair and I love them.

ampthill

I’m curios too

Are the ends level but swept, or do the ends rise as well

cheers

John

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on the angle you tilt them at.

I founf them comfy but a bit less control than risers (or at least my DH tutor convinced me of that). No idea why people limit them to single speed bikes either.

tommid
    Free Member

They are quite simply brilliant, they inspire confidence. Not a patch on Jones H bars, but a blooming good substitute. Great on technical sections and more comfortable on longer rides. A more natural feel. I had a set then decided that I would try the Jones H bars and I could never go back to a riser or a straight bar.

Keva
    Free Member

They made me laugh. They work better than you’d expect.

Kev

thomthumb
    Free Member

weird didn’t like it – sold em.

salsa pro moto 17’s is where its at.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I like them a lot. Plenty of control, very comfy indeed. They look odd, and you have to play with the angle of them, but once you get it right they’re fab.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Fleegles are good too
    bit of a halfway house, a good sweep but not as much as a Mary

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have used them. For me:
    pro: vastly increased comfort as your hands and arms are held at a much more natural angle

Anti: makes the bike harder to control in the air

I personally found with cornering it makes little differerence

Stoner
    Free Member

Anti: makes the bike harder to control in the air

I have got to see pics of you and the tandem “in the air” TJ 🙂

meikle_partans
    Free Member

i didnt get on with them. what i found is that the angle at which you place your hands on them encourages a more elbows in style of riding which decreases control on the downs and the jumps. i just thought the angle of the bars was too much. i do still like some sweep though and that is why i also have the salsa pro moto 17degrees, which are great and allow a more elbows out im a big old downhill racer kind of style if you want

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

“Anti: makes the bike harder to control in the air”

I have got to see pics of you and the tandem “in the air” TJ

I do ride a solo as well – but always happy to post “the pic” not big air but a gap under both tyres

darrell
    Free Member

i’ve also got some on my inbred ss. yes they do look a bit odd and they take a little time to get used to but i find them to be excellent bars. on the trails round here where i ride my ss i think they are super comfy and just as good as any other bar i have used.

Moses

I’ve said this a couple of times before, I know:
    My wife had very painful shoulders & writsts for many years after an accident on her commute to work. We fitted Marys, and the pain cleared up quickly. V comfy.

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my singlespeed and my rigid MTB tourer.

On the SS I find the Marys helpful on the steeper climbs for generating power when out of the saddle and therefore chanelling my facial muscles towards smiling rather than gurning!

I often have a childseat on the back of my tourer. When I had normal risers on the bike the front was twitchy when going uphill, sometimes the front wheel tended to lift off the ground on the steeper climbs (I live in a hilly part of Devon). The Mary bars have cured all that with all round better control when pedalling along and uphill with a four year old on the back.

thekingofsweden

I run them the other way up to most people and find them sooo comfy and there is certainly no probs getting air with them on

Sam
    jfeb
    Free Member

I liked them but found them a bit narrow and struggled to get my brakes and shifters positioned where I wanted them. I have kept hold of them though as I suspect I will play with them again at some point

mavisto
    Free Member

Just started to use them.

Pros – Very comfy most of the time especially in the saddle climbing. They seem to put your hands at just the right angle.

Cons – Could do with being wider. On the flat or on the road, I find I ride with the palms of my hands right on the ends of the bars.
    Difficult to fit bar mount accessories lights, computer

Shack
    Free Member

They are very comfy, put hands at just the right angle. I used to suffer with numb hands about two hours into a ride, switched to Marys and have done 12 hours+ with no problems.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Difficult to fit bar mount accessories lights, computer

Pure sex. 😯

UpQuickDownSlow

I love Mary Bars. As I grasp my handgrips my wrists do not flex left or right. When riding I don’t think about them at all.

jonb
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with them for proper mountain bike riding. Too narrow and generally didn’t inspire confidence compared to a 700mm riser.

Great on my singlespeed commuter. Lots of hand positions and good for cruising and grinding up hills.

finnegan
    Free Member

Love them – have them on my SS InBred, on the 1×8 Summer Season, on Mrs F’s Alfine’d InBred, on the SS commuter, and tried them on a friend who was sceptical because a) they’re called ‘Mary’ (some kind of macho resistance thing going on) and b) they look like shopping bike bars, but he found that c) they’re much more comfortable than straight bars.

I was going to say, a bit fiddly to fit lights, but BigDummy has answered that very nicely – thank you BD, I’m off to SJS right now!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

What is the recommended stem length to use with Mary Bars?
    I am just about to fit a set on an On-one Scandal, I used a 100mm stem with riser bars, should I use the same stem with the Marys?

rOcKeTdOg

got a pair to fit to the swift, had a pair ages ago but couldn't get on with them on the unit, wasn't the right length stem and too little height adjustment to get them to work perfectly, swift has all those so hoping for better results this time, if not look out on the classifieds

monkeychild
    Free Member

I use a longish (can't remember the length) ea50 stem with my Mary bars and I find it ok. The only issue is the steering is a bit slower but it's on my rigid ss so it's not too much of an issue.

miketually
    Free Member

I have them on my SS MTB and love them. They also make it easier when switching between my bikes, as my other two bikes have swept back cruiser bars and drop bars.

Looking forward to getting some Ragley Carnegie bars on my new bike.

simon1975

What is the recommended stem length to use with Mary Bars?

Should be OK with whatever you're running – you'll just have to try and see. I love my Mary bars on the SS and the commuter. Comfy for all day riding too.

ratadog

Came with my 456 and moved frames when I upgraded. Use Ergons with conventional risers and find Mary's just as good for avoiding wrist ache. Would need runway of heathrow proportions to get properly airborne so can't comment on suitability for low flying. Stem length is probably no different to normal risers as double bend forwards then aft cancels out.

epicyclo

They are similar to the old Great North Road bars of years gone by.

Very comfortable for some people and work either way up – which is nice if you are touring because you can change your riding position simply by flipping them.

shermer75
    Free Member

As above- v comfy, great for leverage when things turn upwards, absolutely pants for jumps and stuff

yunki
    Free Member

I love them… don't find any reduced control in any of my riding.. plus extra comfort..

and any air time.. drifting.. looks twice as rad to a casual observer when you've got 'old biddy' handlebars..

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

On One make chocolate bars now..?

Woody
    Free Member

Found them a little narrow, otherwise comfortable.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Your views on ‘On-One Mary bars’’ is closed to new replies.