Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • your top tips for viewing a house
  • flipiddy
    Free Member

lol. Some good thoughts here. I think 🙂

Very general advice…. first visit should be led with your heart, second visit should be ALWAYS be led by your wallet.

Always have more than one viewing.

If you’re serious about buying, get separate contractors in to check the electrics, plumbing, etc. Surveyors can be utterly useless. It will likely save you money and give you negotiating power.

Also, make sure if you want to be taken seriously when putting in an offer, that you have a mortgage in principle agreed.

Have fun 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Check out any bookshelves, one we viewed had an amazing array of sexual technique books on a dedicated shelf in the bedroom. Seriously the shelf must have been 3 foot long and not one other subject made the selection. Really chintzy middle aged couple too, I gave her the sly old fox wink as we passed in the hallway.

More usefully. Check any obvious flaws in the structure, you don’t need to an engineer to spot loose tiles, guttering, poor pointing or brickwork. Any areas of discolouration on or around window frames. On second viewing check neighbours and the wider area, neighbours can make any house a hell hole.

The take lots of photos thing is good, take at least one ofte outside at the start of each visit so that you have a marker of what photos belong to which property.

Have a little vision, if the basic structure is solid then most everything else you’ll see in the house will be gone by the time you come to move in.

crikey
    Free Member

After the location thing, which you now know is important…

Remember this;

IT’S A BUSINESS DEAL

There is very little room for emotion, feeling, sympathy, humanity or any other touchy feelyness.

Get your RaceFace on.

wrecker
    Free Member

Your attitude to the house makes no difference whatsoever. You do not need to have a poker face. The vendors will have an amount in mind which, regardless of posturing, if you don’t hit will not be accepted. Remember that the lower your offer, the less room there is for negotiation at a later stage if anything is amiss.
    I’ve gone through this recently as a buyer and seller.
    Also check very early on if they have building regs paperwork for any alterations, particularly loft conversions. No docs; no bedroom.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Check the area before booking a visit, you might save wasting time. And then do so morning and late.

trevh
    Free Member

Take a compass to check the orientation. Ideally south or south west rear facing garden to get sun in the afternoon Iideal for relaxing after work. Got some funny looks getting the compass out. But you will be suprised how many people say oh yes we get the sun in the afternoon and compass comes out and it’s north facing. So don believe anything they say.

jonba
    Free Member

For us the first visits were all about feel. Layout, flow, light, proportions.

Second visit was detail. Tape measure, neighbours, wider area, quality, obvious work required etc. This is basically a case of working out if you will fit in it and if you can afford it.

samuri
    Free Member

Blah blah blah.

It will just feel right the instant you walk in the house. Both of you will look at each other, smile and know it’s the one.

This is the golden rule.

Jamie
    Free Member

It will just feel right the instant you walk in the house. Both of you will look at each other, smile and know it’s the one.

Phil, and his good lady, are the sort of soppy bastards who look over and smile at each other when buying worming tablets for the dog. So not sure that method could be applicable here.

bland

Crime stats for the area can be useful to look at and also car insurance postcode risk rating as believe me living in an f* area is not something I’d ever do again. The money you could save on two cars insurance would go a long way on a mortgage.

We have just bought a new place, I’d decided I wanted it from right move but had to look at a few others to keep mrs b happy. Just have vision and buy somewhere you want to be not somewhere nicely decorated in a crap location, been there done it and you will never settle as you want the shit house in the nice place to get your teeth into!

project
    Free Member

also check if theyre leaving the light fitings, worked at one house ,and the people who had just bought it failed to realise the light fittings had all been cut at the ceiling roses,also take pictures of the doors,worked at another house, the lady bought the house with 4 pannel doors, moved in and they had been replaced with badly painted old doors.

samuri
    Free Member

Phil, and his good lady, are the sort of soppy bastards who look over and smile at each other when buying worming tablets for the dog. So not sure that method could be applicable here.

It still matters. You do all that smiling at each other and you just know. Like the worming tablets. You can check out what the neighbours and crime is like later but unless you both go gooey at the knees when you walk in, you’re wasting your time. Buying a house is the wrong phrase.

You’re buying a place to have lots of sex in.

yunki
    Free Member

Try out all the beds, and the porridge

waveydave
    Free Member

Every post on here is most helpful, heres my thoughts

Do you wanna house to move straight into without any renovations or do wanna wreck to do up, this of course will be much cheaper. You will also need some vision of what it could look like, and you will need a ruck of mates to put your dreams together. At least if it is a wreck then you can put your own style into your home.

wallop

Slight thread hijack.

If a house has been on the market a few months, where is a good starting point for offers (in terms of % of asking price)?

cinnamon_girl

Go low, they can only say no.

After my recent experience I would strongly suggest asking to see the central heating working using timer and thermostat. Then go round every radiator to see if heat in equal measure comes from every single one.

I would also look at the shower head, run the water to see if it comes out and/or drains away.

Just remember that some sellers are lying dishonest gits.

weare138
    Free Member

Try the bathroom taps to check the water pressure.
    Ask if all the documentation is to hand. We are in the process of buying a house and the deeds are missing:-/

Conqueror
    Free Member

If there’s wallpaper bear in mind if you take it off it could be a “FML” moment as you realise theres stress cracks and work to do to get it smooth to paint on

trail_rat
    Free Member

It will be an fml moment – even in modern houses just outsde 10 years old shrinkage cracks

Its not that hard to sort just a bit of manual graft. Been taping a celing this morning in my third room of plaster work hell.

Go too low on yor offer an you risk being branded time waste.

Also be ware the smoker. Te only way youll get rid of a smokers smell is o strip back to bare plaster. Paper and woodwork all hold the stench badly.

Conqueror
    Free Member

It will be an fml moment – even in modern houses just outsde 10 years old shrinkage cracks

Its not that hard to sort just a bit of manual graft. Been taping a celing this morning in my third room of plaster work hell.

Yeah agree completely trail_rat..

Its a serious commitment time wise that should definitely be factored in

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘your top tips for viewing a house’ is closed to new replies.