• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hock.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Your tool kit / best multi-tool
  • hock

Hi there,

did a quick search but didn’t find anything helpful, so here’s my question:
    – what kind of tools do you take with you on regular trip or max. day-trip
    – how do you transport the stuff

Background:
    – want to assemble ideal kit for upcoming trip to the Alps (only day-trips, no transalp)
    – don’t want it to be bulky, heavy, break my back when I fall onto it
    – have multi-tool but often find it compromised and hard to handle in tight spaces etc.

Aproach:
    – thinking of taking separate tools instead of multi-tool
    – allen keys separately bundled with cut inner-tubes etc.
    – I also wrap spare tubes in old socks so that they don’t get chaffed

Any other experiences, advise:
    – suitable tools (pliers?!)
    – ways of wrapping it all up so it’s easy to use but not breaking bones…

Cheers!
    hock

namastebuzz
    Free Member

A kit to ride with is different to a kit to take on holiday and tweak/repair your bikes in the evening.

IME taking separate tools out on the trail is a bit of a hassle as they’re easy to put down/lose.

I use a cheap standard mult-tool covering all allen keys up to 8mm plus screwdrivers/torx key and small ring spanners. I agree multi-tools can be a little bulky and awkward to use but you balance that against their convenience and infrequency of deployment. Mine splits into two smaller halves which makes it easier.

I also hve a separate small chain tool with joining links for 8/9/10spd zip-tied on. A (really) small adjustable spanner – the ONLY thing that works for straightening dents in rims. Also carry a mech hanger for my Iron Horse and a universal emergency mech hanger too (handy). Spare allen key bolts for spd cleats if you use clipless pedals.

A decent mini pump that works like a track pump (with a little foot that comes out) and has a gauge too has proved very handy. If I’m out in a group then that’s the pump which always gets used by the person with the puncture.

I used to have one of those cassette hypercracker things that allowed you to remove a cassette “in the field” but lost it at some point.

A leatherman is always useful as well.

I just have it sitting in the bottom of my camelbak pack. Rubber bands hold it all together and the chain tool/links are in a ziplock bag as they seem to rust otherwise.

If I was on holiday I’d take a set of proper workshop allen keys, a pedal spanner and some spoke keys for trueing bashed wheels.

dantsw13

For my Alps trip, I take a full toolbox in the car for evening fettling, and usual riding kit for the trail.

For riding, I have a top peak multitool with chain tool, which has always sorted trail side repairs, a set of mini pliers, a minipump(for mates – I’m tubeless!!!) and a CO2 with 2 bottles for me. All my chain links/pins are in a puncture kit box.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Topeak Alien +1.

Topeak Fold out pump too [Take a Joe Blow if you have a car].

In addition to all the standards, I also tape a couple of spare spokes to the chainstays. I am lucky as there are only 2 lengths of spoke on my Thorn.

I’d suggest you also carry a loose Spokey

Multitools usually suck for actually adjusting spokes, they get in the way of themselves and often lack the precision casting to fit the Nipple well. As they also usually have loads of leverage due to their length, I find they tend to bugger Nipples up half the time, which will NOT improve your mood if you are sitting on the dirt somewhere trying to fix a wheel!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Hypercracker sounds like genius!

mlke
    Free Member

I still dig out my old cooltool on occasions which has a great chain tool and a handy adjstable spanner

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

used to use the hypercracker (or a variation of it) back in the 90’s. worked great on a rigid frame, tried it once on an FS frame and couldn’t get it line up on either the chainstay or seatstay.

grum
    Free Member

Unless I’m being thick, the chain tool on the Topeak multi-tools requires another allen key/multi-tool to operate. Bit of a poor design IMO. I prefer the Crank Brothers tools.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

On my Mk 1 Alien, 1 half turns the chain tool on the other half via the 6mm hex key.

grum
    Free Member

Ah the alien splits in two – my Hexus doesn’t. Again, unless I’m being really thick.

colournoise

Topeak Alien and a Leatherman.

AlasdairMc

The sides of the Hexus come off. One has a 4mm Allen key which fits the chain tool.

I replaced my Alien with a Hexus as I have no use for ring spanners and have a blade on my Leatherman anyway.

GHill

Can’t fault my Topeak RatchetRocket. Wouldn’t go back to a regular multi-tool.

dantsw13

Grum – the sides of my TopPeak are removable tyre levers. One of them has a very stubby Allen key on the inside, which turns it into a handle for the chain tool – Hope that helps!!!!!

bigblackshed

On the bike: Topeak Hexus, Pocket Rocket, mini pointed nose pliers-leather man thing, small pump, could do with a bigger one (oo-er missus), puncture repair kit, proper tyre levers and a spare tube. Also 9 & 10 speed quick links, cable ties, small rag, and a few pairs of nitrile gloves.

Bigger days out I’ll add another tube and a shock pump.

Everything is in small plastic ziplock bags.

In the car is a track pump and a proper tool kit with spare cables and an assortment of bolts etc. Not massive but I’ve never been stuck.

grum
    Free Member

The sides of the Hexus come off. One has a 4mm Allen key which fits the chain tool.

Grum – the sides of my TopPeak are removable tyre levers. One of them has a very stubby Allen key on the inside, which turns it into a handle for the chain tool – Hope that helps!!!!!

Aha! Thanks. So I was being thick. I still find there’s too many bits on it that I will inevitably lose (already lost the chain holder thingy), but that does make it a lot more usable.

garage-dweller

For the trail…

Cheap multitool with torx, chain tool etc.
    Pump
    co2 x 2
    Tyre levers
    pliers
    Zip ties
    chain link
    tubes and (after a recent bad experience) i will be adding some kind of tyre boot or similar.

all wrapped in a plastic bag and stuffed down the bottom or side of the camelback.

For a trip away tool box goes in the car with the serious gear in.

Preventative maintenance means its rare anything comes out of the bag

hock

Many thanks!

Yes, proper tools in the car for the Alps.

I was most interested in what to take if you don’t want to be stuck during a day-trip. So Spokey, spare spokes and chain link all sound like good advise.

Cheers!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Your tool kit / best multi-tool’ is closed to new replies.