Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Your thoughts please on 2nd hand values….
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

If selling a used 2004 frame how much difference would you lot calculate very little use (hardly any marks on paintwork etc, bearings in great shape, shock like new) make to the value? What % of its original price might it fetch?

hora
    Free Member

1 year say upto 70% of RRP depending on how desirable? So if its a giant it would go straight to 50%? otherwise…circa 2yrs 50% of RRP? Older say 30% of RRP? So a 2004 Heckler would be £300 (£899) when new?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If it helps I’m trying to sell a frame I have used three of four times, at about a quarter of the new price, its still for sale if your interested 🙂

AndyPaice
    Free Member

one rough rule is 50% of RRP plus another 10% off for each year over one year old. but if it’s a desirable item, then you may get more for it.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Regardless of condition?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I probably shouldn’t do this but… what’s the frame 2unfit2ride??

dmjb4
    Free Member

50% less an extra 10% per year is the traditional benchmark. unless its something really in demand. you might have looked after it, but unless selling to a mate who is going to be totally convinced?

hora
    Free Member

Regardless of condition? It could have been ridden loads by a rider who meticulously cleaned it and put frame protectors on. The rider could still have ridden numerous drop offs etc. Just because a frame looks good doesnt mean its not had a hard life. MTB riders know that?

Whereas I store my frames in a coal bunker, they look terrible yet they’ve hardly had any use! 8)

2unfit- what is it?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I think that is for ‘average’ condition, which for a 4 year old mtb usually means battered/well used Stick a bit more on if it’s ‘mint’

Or just put it on ebay, tagged as ‘Retro’ and ask silly money for it 😉

oldgrump08
    Free Member

hora – but knackered bearings, pivots and shocks are difficult to disguise, even if the paint looks good.

james
    Free Member

When you say 2 years old, do you mean 2 model years, or actually 2 years old?

Would my 2007 (bought mid-december 2007) Specialized S-works Stumpjumper FSR frameset be 1(+2 months) or 2 years old on that basis?

How desireable/run of the mill does anyone reckon it would be?
    ie one of these

hora
    Free Member

James I’d LOVE one of those! I’d say that would be worth £450?

james
    Free Member

Is that your final offer?
    £450 doesn’t exaclty fit your own guidelines you put up before .. or the other ones

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

oldgrump & hora, anything for a free ad in the main forum 😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-banshee-chaparral

hora
    Free Member

Oldgrump totally agree – pivots can be replaced and a shock’s condition can be subjective. A sellers ‘ok’ could be a buyers ‘probably close to a service’. You don’t know until the frame is built up and test-ridden? Very nice Banshee but totally overkill for my level of riding 🙁

James- are you selling? Why? I had one of those (of Gingerflash) and sold it waay to prematurely.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

2unfit – sorry, I’m a single pivot kinda guy 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Oh come on guys, at least make an offer 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

50% – 10% a year +/- 10% for condition +/- 10% for desirability?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts – might as well keep mine!

nasher
    Free Member

I would have thought that with price hikes of about 305 across the board on bike bits (except hope)

That all of a sudden an 08 bike would be worth more? I mean if an 08 bike is on sale at 30% off the new modelv will be 60% more expensive jsu tfor a different coat of paint?

zaskar
    Free Member

Whatever price you feel it’s worth!

Obviously use commonsense £500 for Tesco hardtail won’t get a thing.

50% within a year and 10% for each following year depending on condition.

Cove Stiffee is a frame in demand and can demand more cash.

While a Trek 4300 is a mass and cheap with any other major brand.

hora
    Free Member

Spot on Nasher! Zaskar, agree it is highly subjective. Chameleons tend to buck the %rules

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Your thoughts please on 2nd hand values….’ is closed to new replies.