Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • your thoughts please (n+1 content)
  • twicewithchips
    Free Member

Hello,

Here at Procrastination Towers we are looking at bicycles.

There’s a bit of a gap in the shed between the Bob Jackson’s 23mm Gatorskins and the Sonder Transmitter’s 3″ Trail Boss. Having just been round the local sustrans routes, I think this space might be filled nicely by one of these gravel bikes everyone seems to be on about.

I’m looking at Sonder Camino – probably Apex 1×11, your thoughts on hydro vs cable brakes (BB5s) would be helpful. I don’t think I need/want 2×11, and haven’t been working hard enough to go for Ti.

Also on the list are:

Cotic Escapade – lovely looking but would I worry about scratching it, none of the build options are really grabbing me.

Genesis CdF – which seems a bit heavy and generally lower specced than the others

Arkose – the other thread suggests good things but I don’t really like the colour.

What else should I look at? Anything that I need to worry about? Thoughts on dynamo front hubs, build specs, etc welcome.

It’s for general purpose going about tracks and the like. Possibly the odd bothy/bikepacking trip (so not really looking for a full on CX bike).

alexpalacefan

I have a Genesis Vagabond for that gap in the shed.
    1.95 MTB XC tyres or 35mm gravel tyres and it’s almost 2 different bikes.
    Love it.

APF

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have been tempted by a few Akrose for sale on here, seem a lot of bike for the money.

As a Coric owner and fan its the Escapade which calls to me, it looks fabulous in the fast red 8)

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have a look at the vagabond too. Fast red cotic is rather smart isn’t it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a pinnacle arkose 4 as my wet weather commuter, I like it for commuting and it’s a great bike in many ways, but I do find it just a bit ponderous and not very exciting to ride.

I also have a boardman cx team which is 1*11 with hydro brakes and for the money I paid, a smidge over £600, I really really like it. Wheels are pretty heavy but they can be changed to something more lively soon enough.

ahwiles
    Free Member

scared of scratching the cotic? – that’s just daft, imho. (they’re painted properly, and underneath it’s steel – they’re as durable as bikes can get)

bb5’s are *ok*, they work, they’re reliable, the pads are cheap and they last. they’re not a joy to use, but they’re cheap. i’d say they’re a legitimate cost-saving compromise.

don’t dismiss Sora, it’s the un-sung hero of the shimano roadie range. it’s cheap, it’s reliable, it’s robust, ideal for a sustrans bimble-bike.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Just by way of closure… I went for the Camino.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘your thoughts please (n+1 content)’ is closed to new replies.