Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Your thoughts? n+1 with a twist
  • Kryton57

So…, it’s been my dream to replace my winter Giant Defy with an Enigma Ti road bike, probably like for like with the Etape leaving my Bianchi for racing. Originally I was waiting until my 50th birthday so my wife could treat me (seven years) but I think I’d like her not to be burdened with a single minded object. And my Defy isn’t wearing well.

However, although I have no current intention of riding CX the cost of the purchase makes me wonder whether I should buy a bike that could enter CX If I decide too. That would mean changing to Enigma’s Ecroix, but this feels like a compromise, I think I want the purity of the road bike. Obviously this is a long term purchase.

What might you do?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here we go again 🙂

FWIW, spend some cash revitalising the Defy for winter duties, then get a proper no compromise CX racer. Then get something nice and Ti for your 50th if that’s still what you want.

Kryton57

Of course, the overriding view is to get the Enigma sooner, and not spend money on the Defy (basically upgrading the sora group & crankset, for which I could almost by a new sale Defy tbh). Not sure I have space for a third drop bar bike in the form of a CX bike in my marriage.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*bookmarked for revisiting at Christmas for a mid term update

Kryton57

Lol!

The decisions made tbh, I’d go for the Etape. If I wanted to try cross I could by a cheapo for an experiment. I just wanted to endure I hadn’t missed something.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Smashing, now go get the credit card.

Thread closed.

Kryton57

Hold on, that was too easy….

robowns
    Free Member

Planning a purchase 7 years into the future is not cool, I can barely wait a week.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a bike that is compromised for its intended use just so you can try something you currently have no intention of doing?

See where I’m going?

How’s the “consume less” mantra going? :mrgreen:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THose Enigmas look a bit bland for an expensive frame. I’d get a disc braked road bike with a fair amount of clearance, then you could build up some 650B disc wheels and run them with CX tyres if you fancied giving CX a go. something like one of them new Mason cycles.

Kryton57

“Consume less” cynic-Al?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eye, 7 years is a loooong old time to plan a bike. Simply put your thoughts will be different then for sure. You’ll have ridden a bit more on the road, on the trails, racing and quite possibly CX..

I’d bin the long distance view, go short term and buy a CX’er, a decent one for racing through not some half arsed compromise triangle. Spend at least £2.5 k on it, something like the Focus below.. easily bought for my budget suggested and clearly proper race ready out of the box..
    I shall post a pick then walk away from the thread whilst you take the Laptop to the Loo…

vinnyeh

To be fair to Al, a quick look back over your started topics does show a brief flirtation with Lenten abstinence, bookended with extensive homage to consumerism.

In sort of related stuff, heard a bloke on the radio the other day say ‘memories last longer than dreams’.
    I liked that.

How long did the Sora last then? Always felt that was a step too far in the cost/longetivity balance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A while ago you said you were going to consume less. I guess it didn’t last.

Kryton57

Did i? I’m certainly a lot less materialistic since I’ve been practising mindfulness, is that what your are remembering? I’m far happier with what I have and my thought processes are starting to change a fair bit.

@bikebuoy I don’t want to race CX so why would I consider that?

In actual fact since I’ve start crit racing I want my bikes to be reversed; my posh bike aka the Enigma would be for everyday riding, sportives, bimbling and touring. My cheaper bike would be the one risked on the track.

Re the Sora Vinny – it’s fine and still functional. My Defy is used even in Summer for turbo work as well so it’s had a pounding, and has been sweated on a lot. The stems bolted are rusted, there is rust on the oem caliber washers and “chrome” bits, and the chaining a will probably be no good on a new chain – but the crankset is square taper. Of course all of that is replaceable but it makes the bike look tired. The bike is fine and has been good to me – I don’t “need” a new one tbh.

rickon
    Free Member

I don’t want to race CX

should buy a bike that could enter CX

Does not compute.

I’d not want 100% of my riding to be compromised because I might decide to do something that I don’t want to do, to justify the purchase of a bike for the 100% of my riding, which is now compromised, and I don’t enjoy as much as the bike is a compromise.

I love bad grammar.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bikebouy, nice that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bikebouy, nice that, very nice indeed

Is it like a magic eye picture or something all I’m getting is acid flashback with wheels. Looks fast though.

Kryton – cyclocross is a sport reserved for people who’s self loathing and need for penance outweighs their concern for their washing machine. Avoid.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

No point in getting a CX bike or similar if you are just going to be using it on the road. Get the road bike, keep it for sunny days.

Keep the Defy for winter, a bit of rust doesn’t really matter on a winter bike, if necessary get a new chain and cassette and put some proper mudguards on it if it doesn’t already have them. The outlay to keep a Sora winter bike going will probably save you money by preventing you from knackering up your Ultegra/Dura-Ace on your good bike.

Then race bike for racing.

TiRed

You can race cross on anything – I did and wasn’t that far off the pace. What you want is a nicer R-O-A-D bike. R-O-A-D bike…

Titanium is nice to ride, but only really in the same way that steel is nice to ride. Just a bit lighter. No bad thing but I don’t think it is the magic metal I used to when I had one.

What sir wants is a Giant Defy Advanced SL. Simples. After all just ask John 😉

amedias
    Free Member

The stems bolted are rusted, there is rust on the oem caliber washers and “chrome” bits, and the chaining a will probably be no good on a new chain – but the crankset is square taper. Of course all of that is replaceable but it makes the bike look tired. The bike is fine and has been good to me

so <£5 worth of bolts and maybe £15-£20 on a chainring?

doesn’t really compute with

basically upgrading the sora group & crankset, for which I could almost by a new sale Defy tbh)

even if you did upgrade the entire groupset, Tiagra 10s groups can be had for a smidge over £200, even 105 is only £300 and if you like the frame and it fits you would get you another years or few from it and at a better spec level than another low end sale Defy.

I’m all for buying something ‘because you want to’ if you have the cash, but don’t try and convince yourself it’s because Defy is knackered or beyond economic repair!

FWIW, whatever you ride as you winter bike will end up with trashed whirly bits, but frame and fork will be fine after a clean, especially if Ti, so my money would be on the Enigma (or other nice frame you like), throw a groupset at it that you’re happy to use and budget on a new groupset every year or so depending on your level of use and aversion to maintenance, you’ll often be able to sell bits of the knackered one (cranks, shifters etc) to offset the cost, and £200-300 on a new groupset every year or so isn’t that bad, and the beauty of it is that it feels like a brand new bike each time 🙂

If you want to go blingier then accept that it’ll cost more to replace parts when they are worn, but really 105 is pretty damn good and fine for a general rider or racing!

andyl
    Free Member

epicyclo

Ti bikes don’t get counted in N+1 calculations.

This is because of unique properties of some Ti alloys, namely the ability to return to its previous shape due to it being a SMA (shape-memory alloy).

A lot of Ti comes from recycled Russian submarines, so there’s every chance you could go out to your shed and find your Ti bike had reverted to a midget submarine – especially on a hot day.

Therefore Ti bikes are exempted by the UCI from N+1 calcs, so feel free to go out and buy one without any guilt. If your missus needs convincing you can go into the change from austenite to martensite upon cooling etc. 🙂

I’m surprised Enigma et al haven’t exploited this marketing advantage.

BigDummy
    Free Member

cyclocross is a sport reserved for people who’s self loathing and need for penance outweighs their concern for their washing machine. Avoid.

[Chortles] 😀

jools182
    Free Member

Stop talking about the 50 thing when you’re early 40’s

I’m the same age and already depressed 🙂

Nobby

Kryton – you’re going to buy the Enigma so just get on with that and enjoy riding it through the summer. You can worry about winter bikes & CX nonsense later.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have no idea what this thread is about 🙁
    What’s an ecrox?

epicyclo

wrecker – Member

What’s an ecrox?

It’s a ferocious arachnid from the Amazon. It lurks on the underside of bike saddles and eats goolies.

That’s why many cyclists wear thick pads in their shorts.

I hope you chaps appreciate the previously unknown facts I have revealed on this thread. 🙂

Kryton57

wrecker – Member
    I have no idea what this thread is about
    What’s an ecrox?

An Ecroix – its Enigma’s Ti Cross bike.

amedias – Member
    so <£5 worth of bolts and maybe £15-£20 on a chainring

Quite right. Having thought on it and in my (literally) new frame of mind I don’t need the Enigma at all. The Defy is and has been perfect for 2 years, it just needs some TLC. I aldready have cassette & chain for it, it already has guards, the rest should be easy I just need to source the bits.

I loved Andy’s pic, I am an much lower grade version of that with my Defy in the mancave and 159SW in the Garage, lol…

Then:

Stop talking about the 50 thing when you’re early 40’s

Indeed, in a mindful way I only need to be considering whats happening now. Should at some point in the future – a point which I cannot anticipate – I’m taken down a path where a new frame is required then the Enigma would be the replacement. Until then…

wrecker
    Free Member

An Ecroix – its Enigma’s Ti Cross bike.

Cool. How much travel has it got? Dropper yeah?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Your thoughts? n+1 with a twist’ is closed to new replies.