• This topic has 23 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Your subscriptions and what fund us please guilt trip works?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

As with the ads threads, what gets your cash and who’s please pay us for delivering this guilt trip or paywall has worked on you?
    Stw
    Guardian
    Nyt
    Netflix
    Amazon
    Spotify
    Are mine so far, most bike sites are white listed if I’m using any kind of ad stuff, in the end a hey this costs money was about all it took, but for the papers it’s a response to the need for good journalism in the current world and that needs supporting bigly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I cut the subs to 6 of my most used/subscription sites just after Xmas. I’ve only got one running now, even that’s on the hit list when it runs out ..

Jamie
    Free Member

That is one unwieldy topic thread.

tjagain

I pay for nothing on the internet ( apart from spotify). I do realise this is probably unsustainable for providers long term. I am considering paying the guardian “join us” that they keep on advertising as I used to buy the paper copy but no longer do.

I have never put a penny Murdochs way and never will. I have no subscriptions to any TV, netflix or anything similar bar spotify.

I used to pirate download music until spotify came along which allows me to pay what I consider a reasonable amount for on line music. I thought the price of music on iTunes etc was well out of order but the £5 a month I pay to spotify seems reasonable. I didn’t really want to steal music but neither do I want to pay the rippoff iTunes prices

For me the answer is micropricing. Not “pay £100 for unlimited access” but “pay £0.02 for this article”. Ie the company has your billing details. click on a link it warns it will cost you a small amount then you can decide if you want to read it or not

footflaps

Internet wise I support STW and The Guardian.

lunge

Spotify and STW here. Both very good value IMO.

juanghia
    Free Member

I’ve edited my Localhosts through terminal, the internet is a completely Advertising free experience for me 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Internet subs – only this place, and a huge amount of pron sites. 😉

weeksy

STW
    KTM forum
    Therevcounter.co.uk

That’s it currently.

prawny

Currently only Amazon prime, which is a new thing for me and the family – and I’m miffed that it doesn’t work with chromecast!

Planning on paying for STW, but literally every penny is accounted from my own personal money at the minute, when I can spare £1.50 I’ll do a digital sub.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Amazon Prime
    Netflix
    TrainerRoad
    OS Maps
    Richard Herring monthly badger (for the Leicester Sq Theatre podcasts)
    and occasional one off payments to various podcasts.

Amazon Prime is mostly for the free delivery, I’ve only watched half a dozen shows and I probably need to get around to cancelling Netflix as I’m only using it for maybe 1-2 hours a week at most. No Spotify, I prefer to buy my music.

SaxonRider

STW and Netflix for me. That’s it. If I want to pay otherwise, I’ll buy a hard copy. That tends to be Cycling Weekly.

simon_g

STW (although that’s for a paper mag, the digital is bonus)
    NYT and WaPo for now, during this fascinating and horrifying time in American history – was always running out of “free” articles.
    Ars Technica

Amazon Prime (more for delivery though)
    Netflix (would probably have gone by now, but need to find an alternative source of Wiggles for the toddler)
    Apple – pay for more iCloud storage and Apple Music for family

Patreon for youtubers:
    – Bad Obsession Motorsport
    – Laura Kampf
    – Chris Salomone
    – Clickspring

I think I’ve chipped in via kickstarter for each Richard Herring project he’s asked for, rather than doing monthly.

I’d agree micropayments would be nice, no-one seems to have made it work well yet. Stick some money in your account each month, either pay upfront or tip a small amount for each thing you read/listened/watched. There’s plenty of other youtubers making great stuff but I’d be broke if I even did $1/month for all of them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I actually only pay the first 2 myself, got legal access to the others though.

Stw
    google play music
    netflix
    btsport
    skygo

Sundayjumper

Netflix
    STW
    Gixen

And ebay I guess.

slowoldman

STW

Feeling a bit guilty about Grauniad and a bit more guilty about IMSLP (a repository of public domain classical music scores). Might stump up for those.

whitestone
    Free Member

Micro-payments could work, maybe something like:

Pay a fiver or similar up front.
    Begin reading articles. The articles have the intro text in the same way that The Times does, if you continue beyond this then the micro-payment is deducted from your account. This way you don’t get charged for content that you go to either by accident or that you follow a headline or link before realising that you have no interest in the subject matter.

scotroutes

STW.

Amazon Prime, but mostly for the fast/free delivery which is a godsend if you’re in the Highlands and Islands.

OS Maps

Veloviewer.

Plus I’ve paid a minimal fee to support a few other apps that I use.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Netflix, NOW TV and Amazon Prime, and NextUp which I’d strongly recommend for Comedy fans

Stopped STW because the user experience and management attitude towards the forum wasn’t brilliant.

I would do the Guardian – BUT my partner has and it hasn’t reduced the number of ads she sees at all, or given really any extra benefits – I think they need to look at what they are offering contributors.

Northwind

STW, kind of- I’m a mag subscriber, but if it wasn’t for the forum I wouldn’t be any more, it’s only the combination of the mag and the P that keeps me subbed.

Amazon Prime, similarly, just for the full package not for any one part- I barely use the online subs service

Motortrend- I sub every so often and binge on videos, it’s not worth the regular sub though.

And that’s it I think. I don’t scam anything, if it’s worth having I pay for it. Motortrend’s a good example, you can easily abuse the free trial forever, if you choose, I don’t though.

IHN

Grauniad
    OS Maps
    Netflix
    Spotify
    Sky

For me the answer is micropricing. Not “pay £100 for unlimited access” but “pay £0.02 for this article”. Ie the company has your billing details. click on a link it warns it will cost you a small amount then you can decide if you want to read it or not

I think this too for TV, especially now that different stuff, even different series of the same stuff, is spread over different platforms. I think I’d rather pay an amount to stream the individual shows/films that I want to watch than pay multiple subscriptions.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was a subscriber here for years before Jedi told me there was a forum 4 years ago.

I don’t subscribe to anything else like newspapers, streaming services (music or tv). I am a member of a few sailing clubs one with a monthly magazine.

EDIT: I see OS Maps is listed above, I pay for that too.

MSP

STW
    Strava
    Trainerroad
    Netflix
    NowTV
    Amazon prime
    Itunes (online music backup in the cloud)
    Audible (just signed up last week to give it a try)

I have been on netflix for years, but since they killed of proxy use it isn’t worth it anymore, Germany seems to be one of the worst served countries by them. Tried nowtv for the past month or so, don’t see sticking with it. Trainerroad is getting towards the time of year I will drop my sub. Amazon for the deliveries, I think they need to separate out the video service from the deliveries.

sbob
    Free Member

I pay towards two different forums/websites that both work and refrain from spamming you with adverts.
    Lord knows how they make their business models work, probably witchcraft.
    Yep, witchcraft. Carry on.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Your subscriptions and what fund us please guilt trip works?’ is closed to new replies.