Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Your strangest mechanical.
  • Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Yesterday one of my (spoke) nipples managed to unscrew itself and started rattling around inside the rim. Could hear a rattle but took ages to figure out what it was.

RealMan
    Free Member

I've had a pebble somewhere in my frame for the past few weeks. Rattles about now and then. Can't be assed to get it out.

angryratio
    Free Member

Most annoying is the weld that comes loose in every single mavic 717s and proceeds to click and rattle at certain speeds.
    50 quid a rim complete with nervous breakdown everytime you go out, or ride faster so you can't hear for the air rushing past your ears

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

Most annoying is the weld that comes loose in every single mavic 717s and proceeds to click and rattle at certain speeds.

I've had this with my 717 and 721. Fixed it in the 721 by dripping a load of superglue around the weld (inside the rim). Seems ok so far! Haven't bothered with the 717 yet since I don't have any replacement rim tape for it.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Had a brand new tyre roll off the rim twice, swapped it around (i.e. the tread setup for front tyre not rear) and it's not come off since.

crikey
    Free Member

Road riding a brand new race frame; just built up, first training ride in anger, rode over a piece of steel bar the size and shape of a pencil.

It flicked up, caught in the derailleur, snapped the derailleur off, snapped the dropout, took two spokes out of the rear wheel.

Broken derailleur, knackered wheel, 'replaceable dropout' was no longer stocked, frame given away to mate.

Happened at 6 in the morning, pre-mobile days, had to walk 2 miles to a phone…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This was odd, my mate took his Patriot off the chairlift in Chatel & the chain was out of the cage. You'll notice the bolt is loose, but only cos he loosened it to get the chain back round the pulley. We tried like **** to get it back on before he slackened the bolt off.

trout
    Free Member

my mates over the bar moment very strange

project
    Free Member

When i was in college,we took a mates inner tube out and tied a bit of string tight about 4 inches apart, right opposite the valve, so when the tyre was pumped up, it showed a flat if the wheel was left at that point, otherwise it was ok, he rode 25 miles without noticeing it.

Garry_Lager

I replaced a cracked rear axle once without looking up how to do it properly. Went for a ride and after about 10 miles it completely siezed the hub – can't turn won't turn. After a ball-aching carry of the bike out and phone me missus to get picked up, it turns out the bearings are completely asploded and the hub's a write-off.

I can see doing it up too tight, but to ride 10 miles nae bother and it suddenly goes bang seems weird? Never understood it but there's probably an obvious explanation.

crazy-legs

I got my chain jammed in a sort of chainsuck style once, it was in between two chainrings and nothing but nothing would get it out of there. In the end we had to loosen the granny ring, lever it out a bit to create a gap and spilt the chain to untangle it all then rejoin the chain. How on earth could the chain get into that gap in the first place?!

RealMan
    Free Member

trout – wtf??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Your strangest mechanical.’ is closed to new replies.