Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Your second hand secrets……
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member

True confession. I love my secondhand bikes more than my new ones.
    I hear you.

welshfarmer

My mate was selling a 2 month old 55 inch flat screen the other day for £20. Only trouble was the sound was stuck on MAX.

Well I couldn’t turn it down.

RustySpanner

Wife has reminded me she has discovered a reliable source of genuine ‘posh’ handbags in a nearby charity shop.

Must be some local fashionista with a conscience and a short attention span.
    I hope she takes up cycling.

jimbobo
    Free Member

I fix broken guitars. Buy for peanuts, fix for a few quid and sell on at “bargain prices”. I mostly give them
    Away to kids now as too
    Many people are becoming traders!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Freecycle/Freegle

Most of our furniture if not all is recycled via the landfill-phobic and/or the YWCA shop

ie a gigantic Tetrad grande Chesterfield that was mostly unused but a bit stinky-damp-stored.

We split it in half (designed this way), stood on end, ran a fan heater and kept the windows open for about three or four days. Used some anti-mould/enzyme spray (if I remember correctly) just to be sure. Estimated cost was less than 100 quid in energy/cleaning product. We later discovered the sofa cost about £2500 new, and ours was now like new! Quality product. Heirloom stuff.

10 years later it’s just had new cushion covers (made by local sewing genius) and the buffalo-hide (wt??) is going strong and looks set to out-last us both.

Last week picked up another Freegle chesterfield (two seater) and it cost us just £45*. We gave away two armchairs to make space.

*Yes, should have been ‘free’ but cost £45 quid to replace the car tyre. There were 6″ nails on their driveway. A trap!

True confession. I love my secondhand bikes more than my new ones.

I get this too. Currently looking at a shabby/neglected retro Raleigh money-pit that I adopted. Spent 30 minutes removing grime/seeing shine and then began that inevitable attachment/white-knight syndrome 😉

bedmaker

On the flipside, I paid £1250 for a lovely Myryad Mi a few years ago. It really wasn’t used much and my wife we’ve rejigged the house a bit so recently removed it.
    Looked at what they are going for on eBay 😯

Bit of a bummer…

gobuchul
    Free Member

Wife has reminded me she has discovered a reliable source of genuine ‘posh’ handbags in a nearby charity shop.

So she says! There’s a very healthy and expensive market for s/h handbags. 🙂

tomhoward

Bought some 18 month old Pikes on here 18 months ago for a couple of hundred, gave them to lbs to drop the travel, lbs sent to fishers, fishers sent back new forks, having seen they were goosed (unbeknown to me, they felt fine) 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Your second hand secrets……’ is closed to new replies.