Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Your project for today – help me find some cheap internal racking for my van
  • PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Or give me ideas of how you do it.

I don’t want the bikes to be taken apart as that sort of negates the idea of having a van….

So far I’m contemplating something like this – but from pricing up the bits online it’s coming out about £40-50, for the same price I could get 2 of these.

Do you know if you you can just buy the clamps for those racks? As an alternative I’m thinking of installing a wheel grip on the bulkhead & a clamp on a hinge on the floor that will come up from the floor in the same style as a roof mounted carrier.

Any other ideas welcome!

Thanks

slinkybike
    Free Member

If you own the van I would make or buy something that secures the fork to the floor and then remove a wheel.

Using something like this

Fork Grip 15mm x 100

Andy-R

I just use a couple of those cheap wheel grip stands fastened to the bulkhead and when I have the bikes in I just turn the front wheels through 90 degrees and fasten them together with a bungee.
    They never seem to go anywhere. This is in a Fiat Doblo BTW.

Drac

When I had my van I just bungied them against the side.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Per Drac

Small supply of Removers blankets and some bungees. Really no need for anything fancier & makes the van interior far more flexible.

Unless it’s a Team Van / you’re trying to look the part 😉

robarnold
    Free Member

Something like this?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Andy r – that’s the other thing I was thinking of but was struggling to work out how to keep them in place looks like bungees are the answer.

Andy-R

They stay wedged in the wheel stands well enough – I just bungee the front wheels together (if I’m carrying two) for a bit more stabilty.
    They can’t really come out of the wheel stands anyway in my van as it’s just the right length with the wheels turned through 90 degrees.

These are what I used – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Bicycle-mountain-bike-floor-wall-mounted-stand-rack-parking-rail-storage-/130636606950?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1e6a8c6de6

ThePinkster

How about a couple of these?

Seem a pretty good price for what you’re after. If you wanted to make them a bit more stable but easy to remove you could even bolt them to a piece a floor board for not much more.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I used to transport my mx bikes by just wedging front wheel against bulkhead and strapping down. Those front wheel holder things just do the same thing and are ideal – we never really worried about the back wheel it never went anywhere.

For a mx you had to use straps to compress the front forks else a good bump and with the weight etc they would droop let the straps go and fall over. So make sure you put on your for lockout or use bungees under enough tension, course if you can rig it to just strap on the fork arch that’d do it.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Ooh I quite like those cheap wheel holders, could be just the ticket, was thinking ratchet straps as well…

robarnold
    Free Member

If you mount the racks AndyR has highlighted vertically and ram the rear wheel in, compressing the tyre in, it should more or less stay put without having to tie anything down at all. The problem comes when you mount bikes by the front wheel and they can swivel about the headset bearings easily. Anchored by the rear wheel it’s going nowhere

belugabob
    Free Member

How good are you at DIY?

Andy-R

robarnold – Member
    If you mount the racks AndyR has highlighted vertically and ram the rear wheel in, compressing the tyre in, it should more or less stay put without having to tie anything down at all. The problem comes when you mount bikes by the front wheel and they can swivel about the headset bearings easily. Anchored by the rear wheel it’s going nowhere

That’s it exactly, as long as you have a bulkhead (or do like I did and build a half bulkhead out of 19mm ply) it’s a perfect and cheap system

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Your project for today – help me find some cheap internal racking for my van’ is closed to new replies.