Your post-ride maintenance regime

Home Forum Bike Forum Your post-ride maintenance regime

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Your post-ride maintenance regime
  • _tom_

I put my bike back in the shed.

Premier Icon hairyscary
    Subscriber

Post ride service involves leaving it in the boot of my car.

Clean it about once a month and give a full service about twice a year.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I do what tom does, except I don’t have a shed, so it goes in the hallway/bedroom/wherever there is space.

allthepies

Put in garage.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Spray with hose, wash with water, rinse, dry with towel (chain and frame), lube chain with Purple Extreme (it disperses remains water and lubes – no orange chains here since I started using it), may e spray the stanchions, fix anything that needs fixing, pour beer, have a bath.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Wash if its wet, leave if dry. If washing, warm water and Muc off, then dry, quick spray on mechs etc of GT85 and silicone spray on levers and shifters, spray some fork juice on stanchions. Takes 10 mins tops. Lube chain following day.

boxfish

Regular squirts of fork juicy type stuff, wipe chain down, maybe put some lube on it. Proper clean probably once a month in muddy conditions.

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

If seriously muddy – 90% of time. Dirtworker clean after ride. Lube and wipe chain with chainsaw oil and brush 5wt fork oil on all stanchions and wipe off. Helps if you have good chain in the first place – KMC gold nitride KMC X10SL are ace and cheapish on the bay from far off lands. But, I like a clean bike – seems to make bits last longer IMO. 10mins tops from dirt to lubed.
    Edit – note all the Premier users lube their forks and wipe grit away!

chrism110

Wash and rinse then towel dry lube chain & spray fork juice on. As I keep my bikes in the house they have to be spotless! But I do enjoy cleaning the bikes as much as I do my car

Premier Icon cheshirecat
    Subscriber

Spray with hose (careful around seals), bit of Muc-Off, brush, then spray off. Hang in garage, wipe chain dry and re-apply Squirt lube to chain. Maybe give the derailleurs and pedals a squirt with some (different) lube as well. Takes 10-15 minutes and I tend to do it every wet ride.

GiantJaunt

If it’s really minging I might hose it down otherwise it just goes in the shed. I don’t like faffing with my bike after a ride cos I can’t be bothered but I make sure it gets a clean after every couple of big rides. I put a bit of shampoo in warm water as I reckon it’s probably gentler then regular detergent. The chain gets a good clean with the muck off tool which works great, also squirt a bit on the cogs (being careful not to get any in the bearings) then scrub and rinse off. Chain gets re oiled once dry. Bit of chain oil on stanchions now and then to draw out dust and grit then wipe off.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

On days like this?

Put bike away, open beer. All is well with the world.

Superficial

Apologies in advanced for possibly the dullest question in the universe. After you ride, what sort of cleaning / greasing / oiling etc do you do?

I usually just wash my bike with a sponge and soapy water, then leave it. But the chain usually goes rusty, so recently I’ve been spraying GT85 on it to drive the water out (then add whatever chain lube before the next ride). Seems to work OK.

Does everyone do something similar?
    I know some people spray stuff on fork stanchions – does this make any difference? What to use?
    Anything else?

Superficial

What does everyone spray onto forks then?

Helps if you have good chain in the first place – KMC gold nitride KMC X10SL are ace and cheapish on the bay from far off lands

I think the 9 speed XTR chains were rust-proof, but the new 10 speed ones definitely go orange if they’re left wet. But so far, the 10 speed one is lasting significantly longer so no complaints here.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Nil.

Singlespeed, rigid hardtails, wunnerful things. 🙂

If the transmission is manky after a ride I clean it. I clean the bike when I look at it & think, ‘that bike’s hacky & really needs a wash’. Forks & shock always get a wipe down though.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Aye, if muddy gets a quick water over it.

Junkyard

winter clean with hose
    Summer nothing
    Full service twice a year including fork oil change

It is either very late after a night ride or I have ridden all day and I am tired

llama

Put it away and brush any mud off a few days layer when it dries

Muke

Oh the joys of Singlespeed, ride it and put it back in the garage, lube chain with 3in1 oil every now and then if feeling extravagant.

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

There’s a deep spot at the edge of the river. Dunk bike in that and most of the gunk is gone. Very handy.

Dibbs

Wash bike using hose, sponge, soft brush and car shampoo.
    Bounce it up and down a few times to see/hear if anything is loose and about to fall off and shake the water off.
    Lube chain using Finishine XC.

5thElefant

+1

skinnysteel

I have a shower.

brakes

Maintenance usually takes place the night before the next ride and generally involves cursing and searching the parts bin for bits that aren’t rusty

fuzzhead

I put my bike back in the shed

+1

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

I just go to the pub summer or winter. 😉

wobbliscott

As little as possible. Likes of today, nothing, if shitty I might hose it down and dry and lube the drivetrain, though i tend to prefer to let the mud dry then brush off the mud with a brush and microfibre cloth, then clean and lube the drivetrain.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Your post-ride maintenance regime’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top