Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Your philosophy on being able to do "Things"
  • doris5000

if it’s more complicated than putting up shelves, then 2.

i’ve already got a hobby that i like – i don’t want to spend even less time doing that in favour of measuring and drilling

jeffl

Generally a 1, apart from plastering. Will pay someone to do things if the outlay on tools is going to be massively expensive and they only get one use or if I simply don’t have the space/time to do it or if it’s a ball ache of a job.

As an example I’ve done a fair bit around the house (plumbing, electrics here and there, fitting kitchen, fitting bathroom, digging up waste pipes, boarding out rooms, fitting a fireplace, opening up an old fireplace) as well as car servicing and faffing with bikes 🙂

TomB

Wish I was a 1. However, I’ve learnt the reality is I procrastinate and get bored too quickly, and create substandard work in a much longer time than it would take a professional to do a proper job. Also, I can do an overtime shift at work instead, and then for the same net time/cash cost, get it done properly.

footflaps

1 prefixed with ‘what tools can I justify buying’.

Yep, if there is a good excuse to increase my Festool collection, I’m up for it…..

fettlin

An optimistic 1, ‘how hard can it be’?

Very, apparently… but that never stops me trying. The new place needs a new bathroom (easy, just knock that wall down, new doorway. Fit bath and bog where they are now, new shower and sink, Bob’s your mothers) and a fireplace in the living room (see above).

Pics of the aftermath will be available. 🙂

Sundayjumper

Generally a 1. Traditionally due to having more time than money, and the appeal of buying tools. And a nagging distrust of tradespoeple. The only exceptions have been truly skilled jobs like plastering, and jobs that are so big they’d take up months and months of my weekends. There’s not many jobs I regard as skilled. Electrics, plumbing, tiling, kitchen units, I’ve done all of those myself over the years, and normally to a better standard than when I’ve paid someone to do it.

Nowadays becoming more of a 2 but I still don’t trust anyone to do a decent job. Even when paying what seems like good money – nobody around here seems to want to work for less than £250/day. That seems a lot. I certainly don’t take home £250/day. So the folk on here who don’t mind paying someone else when it’s less than their own rate are either making sheetloads in IT, or they don’t live in Berkshire !

The last tradesperson I spoke to wanted £200 for a half day’s labour, plus £300 markup on £180 of materials from B&Q. So effectively £1000/day for his services. GTF.

molgrips
    Free Member

1 for me. With the car, it was because I didn’t have confidence in the people I’d have to pay a fortune. However I am tempted to pay someone to replace the bushings, as it seems cost effective. I may also pay someone for the next cambelt because it’s such a ballache to do yourself, even though I’ve done a couple, and it’s similarly not that expensive. I paid someone to fix the Prius a while back because I just didn’t have the kit or the experience on the car.

On the other hand, I put some leak stop in the central heating last night at 10.30pm to fix a small leak, at a cost of £10 – that was definitely not worth calling out a plumber for. The only reason I knew how to do it was because I’d gained experience replacing a rad.

I do regret somewhat not having someone do the flooring in our house when we moved in. We did an ok job, but it’s only ok. But then – the DIY job would have been better if I’d removed the skirting board intsead of fitting edging.

Also opened up a camera lens at the weekend to remove a hair, instead of sending it off. It did take me most of the day though.

scaled
    Free Member

I tend to hit stuff with a sledge hammer to see how well stuck in it is, then go for option #2

Northwind

Basically 4 criteria. Does it look fun, how expensive will it be to get a pro to do it, how much hassle will it be to get a pro to do it, and how bad is it if it goes wrong. Lots of jobs are one-shot or hard to fix so I’m less inclined to steam into those…

So- car needs new rear suspension arm bushings. It’s a pretty easy job, and it scores high on “professional hassle” and “cost” because I’ll be without the car and need to drop it off and that, and it’ll cost a fair amount for the ease of the job. But, on the other hand, it’s no fun at all, it means lying under the car fighting ancient parts and getting rust in my eyes. So I reckon it’s a pro job. Changing the turbo? Lots of work but interesting to do, so I did it myself.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

1 – I understand technique easily enough but do appreciate I lack the skill to perform said technique to a high standard, but I like having a go and figuring things out. I am usually surprised at how simple some jobs can be it’s the time it takes to do them that puts me off.
    I do no paid work that involves use of tools. However yesterday having just got home from holiday I decided to have a go at fitting a new kitchen tap. Whilst doing so I removed the kitchen sink, re sealed everything and then successfully completed the job. Whilst waiting for the sealant to dry I nipped off and built the end frames for the bed in my ongoing monster van conversion. I have never done any of these jobs before. Currently, I feel quite pleased with myself 😀 (but secretly I keep having cataclysmic visions of returning home to a flooded kitchen).

molgrips
    Free Member

I try so hard to read instructions,

That could be the issue. It’s not about following instructions, although you do need to read them, it’s about understanding how things work and how materials and systems behave. Instructions are written by someone who has deep understanding of these things, and may not understand the viewpoint of someone who does not.

See also cooking.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oiling a chain? Do it myself.
    Reconstructive surgery? Get a professional to do it

I have recently had reason to tune my competence parameters. I will continue to be 1, but will try harder not to bollox stuff up.

CFH thats’s quite prophetic as Stoner notes 😐

For me depends very much what it is, appreciation of competance and lack of it, practical things I am generally poor at. Happy to rebuild computers, would not put anything of value on a shelf I put up

holmes81
    Free Member

Mainly 1 but slowly learning as and when to apply 2.

it appears to be a slow learning curve!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CFH thats’s quite prophetic as Stoner notes

ORLY?

ebygomm
    Free Member

If it was easier to get trades in and do a good job I’d be more inclined to 2, as it is it seems easier to do the work yourself.

And I’m still annoyed that one of the few things we paid someone to do they managed to get wrong – Kitchen spotlights not in a straight line.

Am actually looking forward to doing a bit of plastering again, one of my favourite DIY jobs.

ourmaninthenorth

CFH thats’s quite prosthetic as Stoner notes

FTFY

Yak

I used to be a 1 for everything. Now I’m older and no longer have the spare time for most things, so have become a reluctant 2.

But I do save the odd job for me. Usually something outside, or a bit built-in furniture that I can build with my kids.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ourman excellent 🙂

garage-dweller

Bit like Yak. I prefer to be a 1 (except plastering I flipping hate plastering and I’m crap at it) but often go 2 to get it done as time is at such a premium.

Being stuck behind a desk doing something cerebral all week makes me want to do something practical,creative or physical in my spare time. I encourage the same in my children learn to use the brains and the hands to keep your options in life open.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Your philosophy on being able to do "Things"’ is closed to new replies.