• This topic has 36 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • your opinions/experience on Continental Mountain King Tyres
  • BMC09
    Free Member

Evening all

just wondering your opinions/experiences on Continental Mountain King Tyres.

cheers

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

willej

The Black Chili ones are OK, if you don’t mind your tyres “drifty”. Bloody expensive too. I was given a pair but I won’t be buying another.

RealMan
    Free Member

Is this a troll?

They’re very good at what they’re made for I think. They make for a fast, light, grippy tyre that I find is quite good for climbing. I’ve used the tubeless versions and I really liked them. Cornering they can be very dodgy, but you can learn to control the drift if its slippery enough.

If you want a bit more grip for descents, and a bit more volume, look at the rubber queens.

Now over to the rest of STW for a full report on how bad they are as a DH tyre.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

RealMan

Now over to the rest of STW for a full report on how bad they are as a DH tyre.

I think continental have said everything that needs to be said with the 2011 mountain king.

thomthumb
    Free Member

They’re very good at what they’re made for I think. They make for a fast, light, grippy tyre that I find is quite good for climbing. Cornering they can be very dodgy

good for climbing but not for cornering!! what sort of mountainbiking is this?

RealMan
    Free Member

That’s a completely different tread pattern. Why not come up with a new name as well? I think people would still buy the old version as well.

good for climbing but not for cornering!! what sort of mountainbiking is this?

Long distance enduro type rides where its not full on mud bath but still a bit wet, I think they work very well. You don’t need massive amounts of grip in the corners, but still want some traction.

martymac

i had a pair of (folding) 2.3s on my bike, wouldnt buy them again.
    the rear wore out almost instantly, they were impossible to get seated properly on the rim.
    on the plus side, they seemed to grip ok, and i havent had any punctures with them also they are pretty light.
    but when im looking for another pair of tyres it will probably be pana fire 2.4 (again)

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve really know idea why they are called Mountain Kings. i certainly wouldn’t bother with them in the Alps. had a set on the GFs bike and swapped ’em out for an old set of Conti Verts, and that’s saying something.

RealMan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use them in the Alps either, but I have seen guides run them (2.4 version).

nickc

The cheap OEM 2.2 versions that came on a lot a bikes were horrid slimy plasticy things that gave the proper 2.4 black chilli versions a bad name.

You get what you pay for, as they say.

rtb25
    Free Member

Yep, light, fast rolling, but tend to walk outwards in a disconcerting way in corners…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Many a bike demo ruined by Stock OEM MKs. Terrible corner grip. The new ones are a total redesign.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Just to be completely clear – not ridden them myself!

That said….They were pretty much the only tyre available to purchase on the TransWales 2008, so many people experienced them, or if not first hand, got to witness their performance on other people’s bikes over the space of seven (mainly wet) days. Utterly hopeless as soon as riders got anywhere near wet rock from what I saw (repeatedly). By all accounts/from rider feedback – pretty hopeless over a variety of terrain. A few people have tried selling them on in our club over last 12 months – with zero success. Never seen one tyre so universally slated by riders.

No offence intended to anyone who has a special place in their heart for them. 😀

mildred

Not all mountain kings are the same…

I got some 2.2 as OE on my Orange Crush – these are simply brilliant; sticky, predicatable, comfy etc. However, I also have some 2.4 UST version which are utter shite. No grip, heavy, unpredictable, and they somehow clog with mud easy too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I got some 2.2 as OE on my Orange Crush – these are simply brilliant; sticky, predicatable, comfy etc

I can sell you a pair that have done 2 rides if you like? So, virtually as new, £25 posted, email in profile. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a set of the 2.2 black chilli ones – very good. Surprising amount of grip even on wet grass

They need higher pressures than many tyres – too low and they knobbles fold in and reduce grip and they squirm really badly 35 psi minimum in the front and 45 rear for me

ononeorange

I’ve used one as a rear around our way for a few weeks and have largely been happy with it in performance terms – not had the problems described above but then I had come from Conti Speed Kings and have no rocks around our way.
    Haven’t noticed cornering problems, the only issue I have had (which is pretty poor, admittedly) is that I pretty much killed it after a few weeks’ use with a large flint cut across the tread. It’s currently held together with the toothpaste tube trick, but I suspect it hasn’t got long.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Look great.
    Although, i have NEVER had as many punctures in my life as that summer with continental.

Shackleton

2.4 BC folders run tubeless on a wide rim work very well in softer conditions, on rocks and hardpack they were squirmy but in general were a tyre that could cope predictably with almost any condition, even if they weren’t brilliant in any specific area. And they definitely weren’t downhill tyres and tended to pinch flat when run with tubes at pressures low enough (~30psi for a 14.5 stone rider on a full susser) to get the best out of them.

Anything narrower than the 2.4 or non-black chilli versions are best avoided.

Basically there seemed to be many versions but only 1 or 2 worth having.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I GAVE AWAY a set of MK Protections (almost £40 each) with very little wear on them – that is how much I didn’t get on with them.

Vaguely okay in light mud and dry stuff, dreadful on any hardpack, proper mud and for some reason, I got billions of flats – one tyre went porous and started bubbling air from the sidewall too. I replaced it but still had issues. No no and no again.

I love Conti car tyres but don’t rate their tubes (often split at the base of the valve) or bike tyres at all.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Gave away my 2.2s too – hated them – front was horrible on corners

joolsburger
    Free Member

I used 2.4’s since February. Pump them up to above 40 PSI and have an incredibly cheap, fast and light tyre for it’s size. Even I have to now admit that my replacement tyres are significantly more confidence inspiring on fast, flat, loose corners and I like MK’s. Just shows you can get used to anything I suppose. Personally I think that there are better tyres but not for a tenner.

poppa
    Free Member

Funny, I nearly bought some a couple of years back, based on this review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/mountain-king-protection-22in-32025

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have a selection in my shed from never used to a few rides old – they’ve come on a selection of bikes.

Anyone who loves them want them?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Tried one on the front once and found it just didn’t grip in loose corners.

The new tread pattern looks promising though.

ononeorange

Steve_B77 – What have you got / where are you / how much etc?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i had the 2.2s in the peaks last autumn and they were totally rubbish. i found them easy to pinch flat and crap in the corners and on the loose stuff. much better tyres out there for less money IMO

whytetrash

Non black chilli ones are scary on wet rocks… I won one at the Dyfi so didn’t mind giving it a way to a (suitably health warning-ed mate)…he still managed to crash land on a pub roof when it refused to grip on a wet rock 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve got one on the back of my Singlespeed. I find it very similar the conti verticals – pretty good rolling and moderate grip in a straight line, and lethal on leaned corners. I got it as a ‘worsening summer/dry autumn’ tyre and for that, on the rear, its good. I’d not ever put one on the front though.

Have you seen the price of dental surgery?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Funny, I nearly bought some a couple of years back, based on this review:

Funny that most products that get good reviews are often made by big advertisers in the mags…

nickc

‘worsening summer/dry autumn’

wow, that’s impressively specific 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thanks 😛

Normally I only have Dry-intermediate and intermediate-wet tyres, but with the SS the way one uses torque and power output is different, so I’m still experimenting with tyres for various conditions.

It’ll be the mudX soon I expect though.

nickc

I suspect you’re right.

AlasdairMc

Hideous tyres (2.2 OEM here). I couldn’t get the balance between snakebite and grip right and they were especially awful up front.

However, as a higher pressure commuting tyre, they were fine.

shortcut

Running mk’s on my 29er in 2.4. No worries here, quite like them actually!

j_me
    Free Member

i had a pair of 2.4 foldables. They lived up to their name, front tyre folded while cornering. Trip to a&e to get chin super glued, and tryres given away free.

Utterly useless if the trail ixnt bone dry. Never run at less the 80psi.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘your opinions/experience on Continental Mountain King Tyres’ is closed to new replies.