Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Your opinion: my bike just has been serviced….
  • SD-253
    Free Member

.jamj1974 – Member
    OP – I agree they have taken a liberty.

. Getting those derailer just right is a real pain. Unless you do it everyday I could have pushed the bike the 6 miles to the shop and got it done quicker. And paid him a £10 (tip included)
    Seriously, it doesn’t take long to get the hang of gear adjusting well after 15 years plus I haven’t got the hang of it. Okay most of the time I don’t try or I give up to easy….aka lazy. I have as usual 3 bikes and one on the way, I will therefore have to get rid of one with derailleurs. Leaving me with 2 bikes one Rohloff and one Alfine 11 equipped. The other one will have to remain with derailleur as it has ice tyres on. No gritting here. So sod gear adjusting and disc brakes are brill maintenance wise. I reckon I will get my money back in less than 5 years on the second hand Thorn Rohloff (£1250). The Alfine 11 is a spare bike (second hand £620 delivered) so just splashing out there. Although I intend on changing the gears so I can pull trailers up hill easier. Getting to old for pulling trailer full of wood/apples up steep hills. Or possibly to lazy.

AdamW
    Free Member

Last time I put my bike in for a full service (front/rear shock/gears/brakes) I didn’t complain about the price, but they could have at least dialled in the gears before I rode it home! I had to push quite a distance as they were all over the place.

Which reminds me, gear cables need replacing most probably with outers too, as changing from granny ring requires herculean strength. 😀

Drac

What’s the worst that could happen if you don’t keep your cables maintained?

Well for starters.

RichPenny
    Free Member

This happened to me once. Wasn’t happy, didn’t use the shop again. None of the bike have been serviced since 2006 mind.

I have friends more mechanically minded than me who actually enjoy fixing bikes, so tend to rely on them.

Can’t see the problem in paying someone else to fix your bike. My free time is worth more to me than the labour charge involved.

jamj1974

Sorry, wasn’t trying to ridicule anyone who finds adjusting gears difficult!

I never thought I was particularly capable – but did work in bike shops whilst at university and for a year full time afterwards – including the workshop. Also learnt how to sort things myself as a teenager with bugger all cash!

SD-253
    Free Member

.AdamW – Member
    Last time I put my bike in for a full service (front/rear shock/gears/brakes) I didn’t complain about the price, but they could have at least dialled in the gears before I rode it home.

. Cheeky sods!

Which reminds me, gear cables need replacing most probably with outers too, as changing from granny ring requires herculean strength.

not with Rohloff and Alfine 11. God i do love bragging about that 😆

SD-253
    Free Member

.jamj1974 – Member
    Sorry, wasn’t trying to ridicule anyone who finds adjusting gears difficult

I didn’t think you were ridiculing more encourage us to. Anyway I like helping the community by spending my money in local shops. Very important in rural areas…….no I am lying I am bone idol 😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

not with Rohloff and Alfine 11. God do love bragging about that

When I had a Rohloff the gear cables needed changing more frequently than on a derailleur set up , there are 2 to change at the same time and they are twice as fiddly to do .
    Bet you won’t be bragging for long 😀

SD-253
    Free Member

Bet you won’t be bragging for long.

6 years (mine and previous owner) for the Rohloff and I could have got away with another year according to one shop.

Took to another shop charged me £25 got cables from Thorn cheaper than Ebay £16 I think. Mechanic send it took him 2.5 hours but charged me for one as he had learnt something new! Nearest actual Rohloff trained mechanic was 60 miles away if I was crow. New cable covers are not supposed to be as good as old ones so might not be as lucky next time.
    Been meaning to complain about a lack of Rohloff trained mechanics in Lincolnshire. Supposed to be 2 one said previous owner who sold up ten years ago did and he won’t. Other shop denies ever doing Rohloff in the Twenty years they have owned the shop.
    Right pub awaits 6 miles there beautiful ride even in the dark also i often supply the light for a barn owl to hunt so makes the ride even better! As the bike knows the way back should only be 6 miles home 😆

jameso

Your opinion: my bike just has been serviced….

OP, our opinions don’t really matter here – your opinion does and you should call the shop, calmly explain what was supposed to happen vs what did, what you’re not happy about and ask why it was done and if they think it’s correct. Customers should be happy, even if they’re not always right : ) We all make gaffs, I do, I’m sure you have, what counts is how you listen to the complaints and what the business can do to fix problems.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

When they saw the CK hubs they probably thought he was loaded and money was no object

vincienup
    Free Member

OP, our opinions don’t really matter here – your opinion does and you should call the shop, calmly explain what was supposed to happen vs what did, what you’re not happy about and ask why it was done and if they think it’s correct. Customers should be happy, even if they’re not always right : ) We all make gaffs, I do, I’m sure you have, what counts is how you listen to the complaints and what the business can do to fix problems.

Surprising how many on STW don’t agree with this sentiment …

jameso

The sentiment that we all make gaffs? )

chief9000
    Free Member

I love the term service when its used for a bike. It implies that some real complex engineering procedure must be carried out.

I think 250 notes is a lot for what OP has had done, mind you if that is the rate it is what it is. I got stung some time ago getting a “service” on a bike, never again. Its true you can probably get all the tools and do it yourself.

Its crazy but the bike scene seems to have gone crazy whether its for bikes or parts or labour the costs are far more than what the products are really worth.

ruffride
    Free Member

In glad I do all my own work that’s a lot of cash

dave_h
    Free Member

Surprising how many on STW don’t agree with this sentiment …

This is STW and like most internet forums, the purpose is to completely disagree with the sentiment regardless of the poster’s actual thoughts.

psling
    Free Member

chief9000 – Member 

I think 250 notes is a lot for what OP has had done, mind you if that is the rate it is what it is.

Blimey, 25% increase in 1 day! That’s inflation for you 😯

When you consider the retail price of a lot of bike components these days, especially things like suspension forks, I’m not surprised that servicing/repair costs have increased accordingly. Not necessarily just because the net cost of components has increased that much but also because the perceived value of the industry has increased so dramatically over the last few years as cycling has become ‘fashionable’.

SD-253
    Free Member

I only know the price of labour in 1 shop. Its a mid market shop and £25 an hour. Is that reasonable? or do they not actually tell people there labour costs. The other shop I use never gives a receipt, he is also rarely not hammered with work but seems very reasonable. Sometimes does not bother changing at all for small jobs.

donncha

For info:
    Fox front shock service £59.99
    Fox rear can service £39.99
    Service Chris King rear hub £45
    Service Chris King front hub £20
    Bleed brakes x2 £30
    Replace inner cables £7.98

donncha – Member

Yes, I know I should service everything myself. I expected to get flamed for this but bear in mind:
    1. Some of the tools required (e.g. Chris King Hub Service Tool) are quite expensive.
    2. I really don’t have much free time so if I have half –a-day per week I would much prefer to ride the bike than tinker.
    3. Most importantly I am completely abysmal to servicing or anything mechanical. Just don’t have the aptitude for it all. I’m fine fettling with gears, brake pads, etc but when it comes to the suspension I’d prefer pay to someone competent.

cookeaa

TBH while I do not use shops to service my bikes as I can do it myself, have the tools and the time, I see nothing wrong with people using shops for this purpose, circumstances, incomes and experience varies from person to person.

I’m quite surprised that shops, especially a bigger chain like the OP mentions don’t do “Job Cards” or similar; duplicate records of the requested works, one for the customer, one for the workshop with an estimate of cost and any instructions to contact the owner for permission to proceed with unscheduled work (having provided a cost)…

The bigger chain stores with workshops need to behave more like Car Main dealer workshops if they want to build any sort of reputation, expensive maybe, but honest, diligent and not garnishing jobs with “hidden extras” that only come to light when the customer comes to pick up the bike…

dantsw13

Have you ever been to a Car Main Dealer?? They are the biggest rip-off of the lot. 3 years in a row “Your Brake pads are worn, shall we replace them?” No thanks!

cookeaa

But they do ask…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

well o/t but what shop? one of the girl who rides with us was bigging up new mecahnic out that way who’d sorted out her brakes and gears recently, have to see if it was you

Moores Cycles, Isleworth. Near the station. 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Your opinion: my bike just has been serviced….’ is closed to new replies.