Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Your most prized possesion – past or present?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

oh the love that dare not speak it’s name…..between man and road bike!

turns my stomach 🙂

The S&M is on it’s post and I’ve sanded it smooth. Might have to make a cover though as my arse isn’t match fit.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The guitar my grandfather gave me for my 21st. Sadly I don’t even begin to do it justice (especially with a fecked wrist at the mo)

The paintings of his that I’ve collected over the years – especially his last self-portrait.

The one-off Mint Sauce my SO gave me for my 30th.

The bikes, much as I love them, are replaceable. The Soda would be the first one to be saved though.

When I was much younger, it would have been Ted and my big box of lego.

monksie
    Free Member

You’ve sanded it smooth? NOOOOOO! Those pointy bits are the only grip you’ll have! Get some padding on the back of the stem, quick! You’ll need it.
    I’ll have it back for the price paid if you don’t feel its’ baer carbon love. I have a few orders and no seats to paint.

stratobiker
    Free Member

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My health. Years of backpain make me value a pain free day most.

Being a creative type, I hope most of my valued possesions are hanging and still looking fresh on a gallery wall somewhere.

To that end this is my favourite. Painted in a couple of blissful days, it hangs in the Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art in Oslo.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s pretty cool mcmoonter!

SaxonRider

I’ve got a few books I would hate to part with, but I also love my old 700-series Volvo estate with nigh on 400000 on the clock. I had outfitted it with extra lights for some long, Canadian, snow-laden drives, and it safely carried my family, me (and my bike) on many adventures.

SaxonRider

Oh, and very nice piece that is, mcmoonter.

RealMan
    Free Member

Definitely got to be my ribble and my santa cruz. Also got a hoody I love, and my watch has been with my for so long I think I’d feel weird without it or with a different one.

firestarter
    Free Member

My four medals from the forces, only problem is I realised on a few weeks ago I’d accidentally thrown them away during a move 🙁

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A tie between our cars (110 Defender, 335d BM), the boat and my prized MTB. Tri gold medal is nice too.

amplebrew

Got to be the brand new and unused Honda SP1 that I managed to get just over a year ago.

I was a huge Joey Dunlop fan and always wanted an SP1 after watching him riding and winning a race version during the Isle Of Man TT.

Not as fast or as easy to ride as more modern bikes, but to me…….. it’s a million times more special.

toys19
    Free Member

I had a ww2 pussers dirk ( navy jack knife) like this below. My dad gave it to me and made a pouch of leather and embossed a red indian on the front. You can get these off the blade forums but mine was special because it locked, to close it you had to open the marlin spike. I’ve bought 20 or 30 over the years from websites hoping they would lock and none do. BOO HOO

It was nicked from me when I was aboput 13 by a scrap metal dealers son who was spoiled and rich, bar steward.

Northwind

Not sure, I’m not that attached to most of my stuff. My hot rod stratocaster probably, it’s a lovely thing to play or even just to hold and it’d be hard to replace, never mind all the time and labour I’ve invested in bringing it up to scratch. Though it’s in bits just now and won’t be put back together for a while, it’s just waiting. It’s either that or my childhood teddy bears I guess! And the strat’s insured so if there was a fire tonight I’d grab brown bear and orange bear first.

I’m pleased with, proud of and halfway in love with my Hemlock but if it went away I’d just buy another one exactly the same so it’s hard to feel attached to that.

If you’d asked 3 years ago it’d be the motorbike but now it’s nicely worn down and I can treat it like it ought to be, a tool for going quickly not a garage ornament.

noteeth
    Free Member

I don’t get overly sentimental about material things (apart from, uhh, Bontrager frames), but I was seriously gutted when I lost my signet ring (21st birthday present) whilst throwing a stick for the dog, one cold & wet day in south devon.

I’m a trained archaeologist…. and could I find it? No.

I replaced it, but all the same… 🙁

j-cru
    Free Member

“Got to be the brand new and unused Honda SP1 that I managed to get just over a year ago.”

Amplebrew, please tell me you’ve ridden that since getting it, it’s a waste otherwise.

TheFlyingOx

Used to be this:

Now it’s this:

kiwijohn

The water colour of the farmhouse I grew up in my parents had painted in 81.
    Dads Irish beer mugs & green stone letter opener.
    My Salsa Ala Carte.
    My custom made Korker sandals & Last Footwear Co boots. Both are well over 10 years old.
    My Cactus Climbing messenger bag. Old as well.
    The Vans Old Skool hi-tops, Van Halen editions, I got when I started uni.
    My copy of “The Monkey Wrench Gang”

slimtubing
    Free Member

would probably be my record collection from 1981-1991, mostly post punk alternative stuff but a good mix of chart stuff on 7″ too. sadly thrown out in its entirity by my dad at somepoint by accident in the last 8 years or so. if you’re in the Cupar, Freuchie area and find a large brown suitcase weighing about 40 kgs, open it its got my most prized possession in it. 😥

Joe

My canon 5D mk2 is my baby at the moment.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not as accomplished as McMoonter.. so my masterpieces are unfortunately still at home..
    one in particular would probably rate as my prized possesion.. It certainly couldn’t be replaced.. and has been exhibited in some highly esteemed company..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m torn between the following;
    Maternal grandfather’s cufflink collection (Am I allowed a collection?)
    Maternal grandfather’s gamekeeper’s stick – It’s a lovley piece of Blackthorn as a walking stick with a healthy “priest” as the top!
    Paternal granfather’s Belly Button Fluff Remover – Sounds mad, but it sums the man up. He was an absolute legend!
    The original Andrew Vicari painting and William Morris mirror that I am still struggling to find wall space for! (They’re in secure storage at the moment!)

But, overall, I think it is my 1930’s Schwarz Geneve watch. I inherited it from a man who was a true hero of the Second War. I am researching his life and hope to write about him in more detail at some time, but the saddest thing is that I was never lucky enough to meet him. By wearing his watch, I feel that I am privileged to be keeping his memory alive.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

The Rolex Milguass that my lovely wife bought me on our wedding day.

pennine
    Free Member

My late father’s WW2 medals
    A ‘terror’ I bought in 1972 (ice climbing axe)
    Grundig tape recorder circa 1962 (rubbish sound quality now)

Kevevs
    Free Member

Like yer style mcMoonter.

Stamp album owned by my dad and his dad, we’ve each filled it with stamps when we were kids. It’s got signatures and little notes n stuff by my dad and grandfather in it, I defaced it with daft drawings when I was young, but I suppose that’s part of its charm.

I’ve got a full set of first print Cages signed by Dave Mckean when he came to my college, they were such a pain to get hold of originally that I can’t bear to part with ’em.

Chrome GT Freestyler Pro I had in the 80’s I stupidly sold it to buy a commodore Amiga A500!

sor
    Free Member

The one and only possession I value is the watch my parents bought me for my 16th birthday.

It wasn’t expensive when new, the glass is now chipped and scratched, and it only ever gives a vague approximation of what the time is, but I’ve worn it every day for over 20 years now.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

My work boots. They are irreplaceable, look good, comfy and I seriously could not do without them. Had them since 2003 and they are no longer made – italian lorica (i.e. non-leather) with steel toes and soles in size 4.

I am now in that position of thinking I should maybe not wear them as much as I do because one day they probably will start to fall apart, and then I shall be most distraught indeed.

mogrim

Like lobby_dosser, my Kobe would have to be one of the first things out the door.

But: probably my copy of Knight Crusader, cheesy young boy adventure book but my favourite as a child.

john_drummer
    Free Member

probably this:

combined with this:

or maybe my cymbal collection (seriously edited since the above photo):
    Zildjian Z Custom 14in hihats
    Zildjian Z Custom 20in ride
    Sabian AAX 15in Studio Crash
    Sabian AA 16in Studio Crash
    Sabian ProSonix 18in China
    Sabian ProSonix 12in Splash

need to do something about the Paiste 16in Alpha Thin Crash though

epicsteve
    Free Member

For me it’s probably my 1973 Linn LP12 with SME arm. Other bits of my set-up will come and go over the years (although the current Naim stuff has been there fore quite a few years now) but I can’t see me even parting with that.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Seems to be the norm, but my guitars (not expensive but mine)
    My Technics SL1210
    My cuddly gorilla the wife bought me
    My record collection

Personal possessions are not something i really collect, my wife and dog are way more important

PeteG55
    Free Member

I’m obviously a bit common, both my Seiko chronograph which my parents bought me for my 21st and my Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo. The first fast car I bought. 2.0ltr turbo engine since replaced with Saab V6, but I’ve still got it, 11 years later.

Dark-Side

My Magic House books. I hope my daughter draws as much pleasure from them as I did.

nonk
    Free Member

i have a haro extreme in lilac with orange graphics and a u-brake that i just cant seem to part with.

but my most prised would be the spoke key that my best mates mrs passed on to me after he died of cancer.
    he used to build wheels for everyone so its all worn.

Hohum
    Free Member

My garden:

I was doing a bit of house-keeping of my old photos the other day and found some I had taken when we first moved into our house and from Summer 2006.

The latest photos I took are not the best of the garden, but they do sort of line up with the first lot I had taken.

It is interesting to see how things have grown and developed since we moved in just over 7 years ago now.

The next lot are from July 2006

These were taken this summer

handyman
    Free Member

My first pair of levis i was gutted when at 15 i was to big for them i took 2 years wearing them in, my dads commando knife 8inch blade double edge highly illegal now but 60 years ago just what you needed.

theotherjonv

My prized possession isn’t mine at all. It’s my eldest daughter’s comforter, a small purple donkey from Jelly Kitten. He’s been lost once before, after he sneaked on the bus with us into town, and I walked the streets for ages to see where he’s jumped out of the pram and run off. We have a spare but that doesn’t matter. If he goes missing even though we know he hasn’t left the house I feel all panicky. That’s how much he means to her and hence me.

As for children being ‘possessions’. Of course they aren’t, certainly not girls. As my Dad put it on the day she was born ‘She’s not yours to keep – you can look after her for as long as it takes to find someone who can take care of her but then have to pass her on’ (I think boys are different, they remain the possession of their mums for ever)

theotherjonv

love the garden by the way.

mieszko
    Free Member

The only thing I would not part with is the watch my mum gave me after my dad passed away. He got it from her on the wedding day. It might not be the most expensive/fancy watch but my father always wore it and it reminds me of him. The watch is now around 27 years old and still works and looks great.

Everything else material I have I would be able to put a price on and would be able to sell if I had to, but this watch is priceless and means a lot to me. I do like my Lemond Sarthe a lot but it’s not the same.

Things I would love to have are my grandfather’s medals.
    My grandfather and his brother both fought in the WWII. My grandmother showed me their medals once, both received Virtuti Militari medal which is an equivalent of a Victoria Cross. My grandmother, now in her nineties, does not remember where the medals are 🙁

Tinners

McMoonter you are one hell of a talented man. That painting is phenomenal. No offence to the other contributors, but everything else on this thread pales into insignificance. You have a rare talent, that’s for sure. Massive respect.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Your most prized possesion – past or present?’ is closed to new replies.