Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Your most adventurous road trip?
  • scud
    Free Member

Drove from Portsmouth to Cape Town in this old beast (Land Rover 101) plus numerous 5 week tours round Morocco.

Rode an old Africa Twin from Peru to Argentina, unfortunately my camera was stolen with 2 days to go of the trip, which was heartbreaking.

I was also in Libya when 9/11 happened which made watching it on a bad internet connection which was very surreal.

lasty
    Free Member

Turkey in mi old vw camper ….
    Intended to stay away for a year but managed to string it out to nearly 2 – Adventures galore , Happy days 8)

izakimak
    Free Member

Preston to Malia Crete in a mates bay window van two days after fitting a borrowed engine. Went via Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy and mainland Greece.
    My uncle used to be a Long distance international truck driver in the late 70’s early 80’s regular destinations were Afganistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria Saudia Arabia, Qatar. Its a bit different to doing it for fun i suppose but there were no tarmac roads across the deserts then and no mechanics to call out if something breaks. it wasn’t unusal for him to spend 3-4 days waiting to cross borders.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

In 1999 me and mrs Coolhandluke drove to Prague via Munich because it was cheaper to drive than fly, in those days.

We took my new Saab 9-3 turbo (company car) and tried to max it out on an autobahn. I bottled it at 140. Mrs Coolhandluke stopped at 125.

We drove back via Amsterdam and stopped there for a few days before doing Brugge and the. Ferry home.

Good trip that. Mrs Coolhandlukes memory is of me not stopping in France because I hated the French and refused to spend any money n their country. Drove almost non stop from getting off the boat until we got to Germany, the black Forrest area, Baden Baden I think.

Thanks for making me remember.

nicko74

Drove from Vancouver to Tijuana in 1988 at the tender age of 19.

Awesome doesn’t touch that trip.
    That is pretty special – one day I want to do the Trans American Highway.

Spent 4 months driving round the States in an E150 van about 10 years ago. Van was 25 years old, had 2 tanks for gas and one day I got a high of 12mpg. 13,000 miles in it, camping, biking and barbecuing dinner.
    edit: bought the van in Seattle, went up to Yellowstone, then down the Rockies to Moab, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Diego, up the coast to Seattle again, and ultimately across from Denver to New York, via Columbus. East of Denver is booooring…

More recently, travelled around Central Asia on the old Silk Road, via Pakistan, Kashmir and Ladakh to Delhi. Wish I’d had my own wheels – saw a guy going over the Srinagar-Leh road on an old Enfield which looked very cool and very scary.

And last year, flew up to Whitehorse in the Yukon, picked up a 4×4 and drove up the Dempster Highway, via Dawson City. It’s better as an ice road, but was fantastically boring and pretty awesome at the same time.

Very jealous of some of the above though – the Lanny 101 to Cape Town must’ve taken in some pretty special places.

cynic-al
    Free Member

All over France and Belgium in 2003 in my 89 Polo.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Your most adventurous road trip?’ is closed to new replies.