Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Your most adventurous road trip?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s the furthest/most remote/least developed place you’ve driven to from the UK? Or have planned, or have thought about?

I was a little surprised when we went to Munich to see virtually no British cars – there were plenty of Brits living and working there, but apparently they all thought it too far to drive. I fancy going back there one day with the caravan and possibly going on to the Czech Reupblic. Another fun trip might be the Nordkapp.

Stoner
    Free Member

Taking the campervan to Corsica this summer.

Houns

Scotland

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bregante

I went to Merseyside on Saturday.

sandwicheater

Honeymoon had us drive through Germany, Austria, Italy and France in a camper. I love a good road trip.

We didn’t have any plans so just muddled along. Some really remote places in Italy.

thehustler
    Free Member

South of spain

annebr
    Free Member

We’ve driven to Croatia, going back there again at the end of August.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Drove to Tuscany and then Catollica year before last, had a cracking time taking in all the beautiful mountain roads and managed to divert back via an overnight in Munich which was excellent too.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

In the summer of 2003 we drove our aging diesel 205 to Corsica, and then back up the west coast of France. Think it was about 3000 miles in total over about 6 weeks. It was in the middle of the heatwave, I remember driving on the ring road round Milan at about 5 in the evening, and seeing 35C on a signpost thermometer.

Those were the days – our campsite in Corsica (with my now long ago stolen Trek 4500):

Edukator
    Free Member

Driven?

I’ve hitch hiked further than I’ve driven, just into north Africa. And ridden from Paris to Copenhagen and back.

tangoman19
    Free Member

We drove to the Euros in Ukraine 2012, mate took his motorhome… Took the route through the south of Poland to Donetsk, back to Kiev, back to Donetsk, back to Kiev, then home. 3 weeks. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish, well, apart from being knocked out on penalties, again.

scotroutes

Driven to Austria (Otztaler Alps), motorbiked to Provence a couple of times, to Bologna once.

ourmaninthenorth

None of mine have been especially adventurous or off the beaten track:

Sydney to Cairns and back
    San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite
    South of France is a pretty standard (i.e. most years), with detours back through Italy and Switzerland not uncommon
    New Orleans to Nashville via Memphis

Lots of our holidays are based around these sort of mini-adventures.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Drove to one of the southern Croatian islands in 2012: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pimpmasterjazz/sets/72157631537644890/

(And used a ferry, obviously)

Aimed to do the the Mongol Rally several years back, but my co-driver’s wife stepped in and vito’d it. Then we all got married and had kids. Still, there’s time…

annebr
    Free Member

^ reminds me I’ve driven Canberra to Mackay in Australia and back also

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dallas to Crested Butte, Colorado. Through the panhandle of Texas. A landscape extraordinary for it’s boringness.

trail_rat
    Free Member

From uk – aberdeen to embrun

From den helder , bruge and hanover

Bakersfield to big bear and back to LA

Turkmenistan from ashgabat to balkanabat

New zealand ive cycled from christchurch to invercargill and back to cambridge and driven to cape reinga

Most interesting/scary …..port harcourt to onne port in nigeria ….. Burnt out cars and trucks , crowds of people assembled at the side of the road for no apparent reason and lots of shouting ( in nigeria this probably means it was a wedding)

The train through ukraine from simpheropol in crimea to kiev and onwards to poltava im the east was an amaizing trip.

marcus
    Free Member

Drove from the UK down and into the northern Sahara in Morocco last year. Family of 4 with no support. Not something to be taken lightly.

kayak23

Drove out to Northern Norway a few years back, through Denmark and all that. 32 hours in one go…

Myself and two mates drove out to Andorra two years back, into Spain, then Italy, then back up the Italian and French Alps visiting bikeparks and mainly wild camping for 3 weeks. Awesome.

Kind of a road trip but last year for my fortieth I cycled from Cuzco down into La Paz in Bolivia with a group over 2.5 weeks.

This year, we are driving to our mates homeland in Czech (Czech-mate), going via Germany and maybe Poland and visiting bikeparks again all over the shop.

Got to love a road trip 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Green Lanes, N4, on a winters evening, in rush hour.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not recently but hitchhiked, camped and slept rough around Europe for a few months in my younger days.

Managed France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Italy, Denmark and Belgium.

Very brief stay in the then Yugoslavia as my paperwork was wrong (bloody British Embassy in Paris) so was deported; arrested for (I think – Italian very poor) vagrancy while visiting Pisa but released without charge and got off with a lass in Venice who actually only lived 4 miles from me back home.

Not one night indoors for the whole trip, used to wander out into woods on the outskirts of towns to camp or hide at the back of the massive railway goods yards that seem to exist in many European cities/towns.

Not long after, I got married and had kids, they are getting older now and my wanderlust is returning. This summer we are taking nearly a month off and taking the van, tent and kids around the Alps.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I took my old Volvo Amazon from Orkney to Bergen across to the Baltic and back. Not especially daring but it was fun in a forty year old cardI’d replaced the engine in a couple of days before departure.

Stunning landscape I should really re explore by bicycle.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Done a fair few roadtrips around Europe over the last couple of decades, but longest was riding an XT600 through France/Italy/Greece (down to Santorini, on the ferry) and back up through the Balkans to the Dolomites and Austria /Germany/France. Serbia was a pleasant shock to the system and Bosnia quite humbling.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve spent 9 mths touring Spain in my Van with my bike and my windsurfing gear. I followed the Americas Cup in Valencia at the time too…

IHN

Our 2011 road trip went:

Devon, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Germany, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech republic, Germany, Belgium, home.

It was fun. Furthest point out was the Carpathians (Bran) in Romania.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Drove from Vancouver to Tijuana in 1988 at the tender age of 19.

Awesome doesn’t touch that trip.

A young (slim) derek_starship on the Pacific Highway.

marcus
    Free Member

Somewhere on the edge of a desert

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There’s a lovely picture on our wall of my rather prim and proper grandparents sitting round their picnic table having a bog standard afternoon tea from the stove kept in the boot of their bog standard Volvo saloon car. It all just looks so beautifully English except that they’re in the desert somewhere in the vicinity of Isfahan.

This was about 45 years ago, and I don’t think they had really left the UK until that point when they decided to drive over to see my newly born sister in Kuwait.

andytherocketeer

from the uk? here

from here? Bovec, Slovenia (well a small village up a mountain just outside Bovec)

most remote drive? Moscow to Samara and back (but I obviously flew to/from Moscow)

molgrips
    Free Member

Mostly tame so far. Driving to the Med area isn’t that adventurous really, nor is the US west coast. Marcus’s looks good, depending on where he is.

My neighbour’s from Zimbabwe, and he drove his knackered old minibus full of junk back to Zimbabwe, from Cardiff. Got a boat to Mozambique from Portugal I think though.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I cycled 400 miles in Japan in a week in 1998. Would love to go back for more.

marcus
    Free Member

Mol – Just south of Forum Ziguid in Morocco. When that photo was taken we were following one of the old Paris Dakar tracks, before driving across an old dried up lake and then getting into the desert proper. Nearest tarmac and town was about 60 miles away and outside temps were about 45C. I boiled 2 shocks on the Landy not long after that photo was taken, before getting lost for a couple of hours in a sandstorm and stuck in few dunes.

alanf
    Free Member

Czech Republic to watch WSBK at Brno by motorcycle – fairly tame but good fun.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

summer 2009: Calgary – Canmore (6 nights) – back to Calgary (2 nights) – Kamloops (1 night) – Vancouver (3 nights) – Lake Louise (1 night) – back to Calgary.

fantastic scenery. I think that goes without saying…

before that, 1995, Bradford – Perigeux via Dreux, back via Chartres a week later

Pigface
    Free Member

Uk to Israel on a Tenere in 89 parts of the then Yugoslavia were interesting.

mark90
    Free Member

Like Marcus I have done a road trip to Morocco, down the coast and back up the interior. At one point we might have strayed into Algeria 😯 certainly close to the ‘boarder’ – not that the two countries agree where the boarder is.

My missus has done a number of raod trips far into the empty quarter, that’s fairly remote. Although admitedly not starting from the UK, she was living in Saudi at the time.

dknwhy

Our holidays with the kids tend to be European driving holidays.
    Slovakia’s the furthest we’ve been. Was great as we went via Poland and back via Austria.

OzInbred

6 month road trip in 2009, UK, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, France and back to the UK. All in a 1988 VW Camper, absolutely fantastic time, just need to save some cash to have a crack at the Nordics and Artic Circle next.

freeagent
    Free Member

Like Marcus and Mark90 I’ve done 2 x road-trips to Morocco.
    The first was an organized tour – 15 4×4 vehicles with a guide/mechanical support.

The second was 2 cars and 5 people – we did a circular route, which took in a bit of the Northern Sahara and drove some of the Dakar Rally tracks up the Algerian border.
    They were awesome trips, to a beautiful country.
    Not particularly remote by global standards, but we did have to drive 5 hours to a desert hospital after my mate de-gloved his finger on a bolt.
    Hacksawing his wedding ring off with a dirty old saw in order to save his finger was fun as well!
    I’m planning to buy another Landrover/Toyota and take the kids on a similar trip when they are a bit older.

I also drove in a rally from London to Sarajevo in 2001, not long after the Bosnian war had finished. This was to take aid to the people of Bosnia.
    Sarajevo was the 4th most dangerous place on earth at that point – we had some sobering and downright scary moments.
    Being told by Canadian UN forces that if your vehicle goes off the road, you need to walk back up your tyre tracks to avoid landmines was a bit of a reality check, as was going to a ‘Gentlemans club’ where the doorman had UZIs tucked under their arms.

I also did a 4×4 trek into the Snowy mountains in Victoria (Australia) Again, some might say that isn’t very remote but it took 4 hours driving to get a mobile phone signal after one of our party fell down a ravine, and we needed a helicopter to get him to Melbourne hospital.
    I was in the group who winched him back out of the ravine with a Turfor, and carried him back up a valley on a stretcher made of branches and tow ropes.
    I can remember feeling like we were very isolated at that moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Your most adventurous road trip?’ is closed to new replies.