Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Your lunch vs. MacD's med. big mac meal
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

my lunch (no idea of calorific values):

butty comprised of home baked bread, home made steamed red seitan (a wheat gluten based veggie protein/meat substitute), sliced roasted beetroot and a small amount of egg free garlic mayo.
    1 banana.
    1 mug of green tea with lemon juice.

i’ll have a large bowl of home made chickpea and broccoli soup for tea when i get home.

i’m working on losing weight. so this is part of a change in the way i eat; i have something similar each work day and so far it’s working fine, i’ve lost around 2kg in the last 6 weeks. only another 6-8 to go til i reach my target!

zilog6128

Pasta/tuna/vegetables/chilli sauce/bit of low-fat mayo

No salt other than what’s in the Tuna, no fat other than the spoon of mayo, sugars? no idea – probly some in the veg.
    Not that this meal isn’t healthy, but I find it alarming that people still equate the amount of fat in a meal with it’s healthiness. Eating fat isn’t the reason people are fat and it isn’t the main cause of concern in McDonalds/other junk foods.

tomhoward

Apologies packer, misunderstood your post.

Carry on…

hammerite
    Free Member

nedrapier – is this the Sainsbury’s sandwich in a bag Ham Hock and cheese sandwich? If so I think it’s probably my favourite supermarket packet sandwich. Proper nice.

For lunch I had….

Marks and Spencer – The Club (sandwich) – 630 cals, 33g fat (6g sat), 2.45g salt.
    Sushi snack pack – 140 cals, 1g fat, 0.85g salt
    Walkers Ready Salted crisps – 134 cals, 8.5g fat (0.6g sat), 0.15g salt
    Muller corner – vanilla and choc balls, can’t bothered to do maths as their nutritional info is for 100g yet the “yoghurt” is 135g.
    Crunchie – 185 cals, 7.6g fat (4.9 sat), 0.28g salt.

So in without the muller…. 1085 cals, 40g-ish fat (10g-ish sat), 3.5g of salt.

I walked into the office with an M&S christmas sandwich the other day. Can’t remember what was in it, but some of the women gasped at the nutritional value on there. I think basically it was a heart attack between two bits of bread, but I don’t usually pay attention to that sort of thing!

Coyote
    Free Member

egg free garlic mayo

The mind boggles. Egg free mayo?

Junkyard
    Free Member

its preety hard to tell it from the real stuff

Dont expect the same witht he cheeses

xherbivorex
    Free Member

The mind boggles. Egg free mayo?

http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/egg-free-mayo/

works for me anyway.

johnnie- there’s been advancements in the cheese department. some very good ones available now. but then again, it’s been 20 years since i’ve eaten actual cheese made from milk so i don’t really have any reference point for a comparison…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Crackers with mayo and grated cheese followed by a soya yogurt.

I didn’t want to eat the soya yogurt but I saw it advertised on the television, so I had no choice.

wrecker
    Free Member

soup meal. 400cals, green on everything except salt (amber) and 2 of my 5 a day.

midlifecrashes

Two rashers of bacon, bought from local butcher who cures it himself, all traceable, from a farm near Marr, 4-5 miles away. Served with Sunday dinner leftovers refried, Spud, Carrot and Swede, Cabbage, all from farm six miles out of town in the opposite direction. Good squirt of HP, probably imported (to Yorkshire). Big mug of Yorkshire Tea, handpicked in Yorkshire, obviously. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

this melts really well for Pizza or nacho topping but tastes of absolutely nothing whatsoever but is my one of choice currently
    I settlled for nice melty one and gave up expecting a nice tasting one

The cream in can is pretty good as well Soyatoo iirc soya or roce variations and both taste the same – non vegans say it is ok too

sbob
    Free Member

Bacon, rocket, tomato, Morrocan style hummous, in a pitta.
    Like a posh BLT.
    What kind of slack jawed faggots know how many calories are in a meal, unless you’re trying to beat a record?

WRT to snobbery and McD’s, I don’t eat there because the food tastes like shit. That’s as far as the thought process needs to go.
    🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Homemade fruit salad (pineapple, pink grapefruit, orange and pomegranate) and a Total 0% Greek yoghurt…bloody delicious!

Would guess at about 300 cals, mostly simple carbs and a bit of protein from the yoghurt. Not my usual lunch but it was easy to hand and I’m having a deliberately light day today cos I ate like a **** gannet last night.

jfletch
    Free Member

The mind boggles as to why someone would choose to be a vegan and then search high and low for a fake alternative to cheese.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you not eat chesse then – dont find it useful on certain dishes

Why would I be any different?

I object to the source not the taste – same goes for meat

IHN

WRT to snobbery and McD’s, I don’t eat there because the food tastes like shit.

See, you’re wrong there too. Big Macs are goooooooood 🙂

nedrapier

I started this beacuse I was eating my lunch and looking at the “wheel of death” on the front of the sandwich and thinking about yesterday’s thread and the presumtion that MacD’s was responsible for obesity.

Given that people say fat gain is due to calories vs. calories burnt, I thought this was interesting info. I could just as easily pick up a sausage roll and a packet of biscuits to go with my Sainsbo’s meal deal as I could ask for super size or an extra mcflurry at McD’s.

The “snobbery” point comes from the fact it’s apparently OK for Sby’s to offer me, and me to choose what I buy there, but it’s not OK for McD’s to offer, and for people to choose what they buy there.

My choices, and the choices of people like me, are apparently superior than the choices of people who eat at McDonalds, even when they’re very likely to result in the same calorific input.

convert

Beans On.

Surely the way the op should be read is the other way around. Take the McDs as a datum for “not too healthy” as a daily lunch. Then look at the alternative you have chosen because it’s vaguely healthy. When it turns out your middle class alternative is not that much better as you had previously anticipated, it doesn’t mean McDs is actually OK but rather you need to try harder and have been inadvertently “super-sized” without realising.

molgrips
    Free Member

Shudder at the processed chemical products for the vegan crowd.

I had a relatively high fat lunch btw but very low GI.

You make a good point nedrapier. Lots of snobbery, not enough knowledge around the subject of fast food. I doubt for example that McDs have found a way to remove all the protein, vitamins and minerals from the beef they use.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Shudder at the processed chemical products for the vegan crowd.

I was trying to get a physique like yours 😉

All things in moderation I eat about one of the packs every 3 months I think i will still remain a racing whippet [ in looks not pace]

Ingredients
    Water, palm oil, tofu, soy protein, stabilizer (carrageenan, guar and carob bean gum), maltodextrin, vinegar, corn starch, emulsifying salt (calcium phosphate, potassium phosphate), potato flakes, salt, adipic acid, soy lecithin, natural flavours, natural colours, preservative (potassium sorbate).
    Nutritional Information
    Typical values per 100g:
    Energy 420kcal/1760kJ, Protein 10.5g, Carbohydrate 10.5g of which sugars 0.0g, Fat 31.5g, of which polyunsaturates 15.7g, of which saturates 15.8g, of which cholesterol 0.0g, Fibre 0.0g, Sodium 1.5g

Still be healthier than cheeses which i assume we must also consider to be highly processed and all food is made of chemicals

IHN

The “snobbery” point comes from the fact it’s apparently OK for Sby’s to offer me, and me to choose what I buy there, but it’s not OK for McD’s to offer, and for people to choose what they buy there.

My choices, and the choices of people like me, are apparently superior than the choices of people who eat at McDonalds, even when they’re very likely to result in the same calorific input.

Well said.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

molly- tbh, no more “processed chemicals” than the non-vegan equivalents in most cases.

The mind boggles as to why someone would choose to be a vegan and then search high and low for a fake alternative to cheese

ah well, boggle away! i don’t care what you choose to eat (or not), so there’s that…

nedrapier

Palm oil, Junkyard? Look it up. Terrible stuff. Worse than meat…

I’m going to add one of these 🙂 because it might not be, but it’s still pretty reprehensible.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Surely the way the op should be read is the other way around. Take the McDs as a datum for “not too healthy” as a daily lunch. Then look at the alternative you have chosen because it’s vaguely healthy. When it turns out your middle class alternative is not that much better as you had previously anticipated, it doesn’t mean McDs is actually OK but rather you need to try harder and have been inadvertently “super-sized” without realising

exactly.
    i’m no fan of mcDs (for probably obvious reasons), but they do tend to get singled out for criticism unfairly when you look at the bigger picture (and their competitors).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just finished a Jacket Spud & Mexican Mushroom Chilli.. No idea about calories but hazard at 550’ish??

Would have eaten when you lot did but meetings and more meetings 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Palm oil, Junkyard? Look it up. Terrible stuff. Worse than meat…

I’m going to add one of these because it might not be, but it’s still pretty reprehensible.

Ingnores smiley and goes on a rant 😉

Please not BS herbiovore Bingo on this thread as well 😯

A fair point actually – i did not knwo the ingredients till i searched tbh I will see how ethically they source it

sbob
    Free Member

See, you’re wrong there too. Big Macs are goooooooood

You see fortunately, as you think Big Macs taste goooooooood, your opinion is worthless and needs not to be considered. 😛

stumpy01

Hmmm.

Lunch was a sandwich made with Hovis of some description, 2 slices of pastrami & pickle accompanied by some Walkers Baked crisps.
    Probably 400 cals, maybe 450 at at a push.

But have also eaten:
    – 1/2 a chopped pepper & 1 chopped carrot
    – tracker bar
    – 10 cherry tomatoes
    – banana
    – activia prune yogurt.

I have a satsuma still to eat, but am tempted to venture to the vending machine. But…I am having sausages & cauliflower cheese for dinner so will refrain.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

nedrapier- fwiw, the tofutti stuff that johnnie posted isn’t that great an example (possibly cos it’s an american brand and they shove palm oil or corn syrup in almost everything; both pretty unpleasant ingredients)- there’s a couple of european brands making non-dairy cheeses out of nut bases that have way fewer ingredients and use essentially the same methods and principles as regular cheesemakers, and they are way way better too (vegusto being my particular favourite brand).

sbob
    Free Member

Palm oil, Junkyard? Look it up. Terrible stuff.

Milk a cow or decimate an entire ecosystem?
    Tough choice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

And so the BS bingo begins

Iam out of this

herbivore will e-mail you re more ethical choices – tomorrow as today is ride night

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Tough choice.

whilst i agree that it’s a horrendous product (palm oil), do you think it’s only used in the production of vegetarian/vegan food items?

and let’s not get into the deforestation of vast swathes of south america to grow soya beans to make animal feed (97% of soya beans produced across the planet go to animal feed)…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Tough choice.

Nonsense…we can do both!

piemonster

druidh – Member
    Lorne sausage roll

You really are very Scottish aren’t you. Didn’t even know what these things are until recently.

I googled “Lawn Sausage” when I first heard of them.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lawn%20sausage

Didn’t fancy it in a Sarnie

greyman
    Free Member

Nothing.

Lunch is for wimps 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Still be healthier than cheeses

Sure? Cheese is fatty but it’s also pretty nutritous.

Cattle grazing has already decimated several ecosystems hasn’t it?

zilog6128

whilst i agree that it’s a horrendous product (palm oil), do you think it’s only used in the production of vegetarian/vegan food items?

I have nothing against vegans/veggies/herbivores/whatever but I do think processed foods of all sorts should be avoided wherever possible – that includes meat pies with god knows what in them AS WELL AS all these fake-meat/cheese/etc abominations.

miketually
    Free Member

No idea on fat or calories or whatever else, because the wife made it last night and I had the leftovers reheated today.

There were three big, fat sausages in it. And lentils, butter beans, passata, carrots, onions, some red wine, herbs, broccoli, and probably some other stuff that I’m forgetting.

No idea how much there was altogether, but it went a good way towards filling a 1.4 litre tub, so there must have been near enough to a kilogram? It was lovely.

nedrapier

Mike, that sounds awesome. Well done Mrs. tually.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I have nothing against vegans/veggies/herbivores/whatever but I do think processed foods of all sorts should be avoided wherever possible – that includes meat pies with god knows what in them AS WELL AS all these fake-meat/cheese/etc abominations.

i agree, and i do.
    hence why i’m a fan of the aforementioned vegusto; their “cheeses” are all entirely hand made and quite easy to replicate at home too, tbh.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Your lunch vs. MacD's med. big mac meal’ is closed to new replies.