• This topic has 67 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by dpfr.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Your (longest) commute distance?
  • sirromj

Commute on 26″ ht 4miles each way, 5 days a week. just under two miles out of town onto country lanes and/or bridleways. I like the options of short commutes, can make them long one day and keep them short another. Usually one ride at the w/e.

senorj

25.2 miles each way.North London into Hertfordshire.
    In the winter months, I usually leave the car at work &ride home (lots of options to increase distance) then spin in the morning after.
    Glad we moved north from Kentish Town,now I don’t have to do Highgate West Hill every time. 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

My commute is only 14 and a bit miles each way but a I have to cross the Quantocks so there’s some pretty steep climbing involved.
    On the plus side I’ve got a year till I retire and then all my Quantocks riding will be just for fun. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yak

Used to do a 16mile commute. Was fine and c45 ish minutes, so about 50odd minutes once I’d got the bike in the building and had a quick shower. That was roughly the same as the train with the walks at either end. Horrible in bad weather though and there were always dodgy moments in the same few areas. (A6 – Levenshulme mostly).

g5604
    Free Member

I do 21 miles each way 5 x a week. Takes 1hr 15. I would like a shorter commute, but train fares / house prices mean it’s the only option.

soundninjauk

Currently 6 miles each way (west London into central) so do it on the bike every day I can. Wouldn’t mind something slightly longer, but not too much longer.

weeksy

19 miles each way. Takes 1hr 15 for me on the Charge Cooker 29er with Rocket Rons.

Worst parts of the commute are the first mile to work, up something called Apple Pie hill… which at 6am isn’t nice.
    Also the carrying of a bag full of clothes and a laptop which is WAY too heavy to be fun.

lowey

15 miles each way. Inbound is nearly all downhill. Wish it was the other way around to be honest. Try to do it twice a week, but struggling as need to be out of the office a lot at the moment.

There is however, no finer way to start the day.

bombjack
    Free Member

Used to do 30m (fairly hilly) each way, although there was no way I’d do it 5 days a week. TBH it was fine when the weather was good, if it was cold / wet it could get proper demoralising.
    Quite liked driving 1/2 way and doing 10/15m depending on the conditions. What wasn’t so good was getting a flat after 10m, having to fix it then pedal like **** to make the time up in order to get to work on time.

egb81
    Free Member

My longest commute is a lumpy 11.5km but I extend the return journey to 25-40km to get some riding in and avoid the central traffic nonsense. Some days you just want to carry on riding, others you think ‘this was a daft idea’ as you get home sopping wet and miserable.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mine is 20 miles each way and I do it 3-5 days a week, all year round, only reason I don’t do it is if I’ve got something else on. For example did Monday to Thursday last week but couldn’t do Friday as I was going away for the weekend.

My average over the year is 1h 10 mins, and 1h 30 is perfectly doable, but time doesn’t really matter so just go at a pace you’re comfortable with.

Despite what a lot of people say you don’t need to eat huge amounts of food, you don’t end up with legs that don’t fit in jeans and you should still have energy left to ride at the weekend – I do.

I love commuting on the bike though, my route is all road but 12 miles of it is on a segregated cycle path over a moor.

prawny

I do 20 miles each way every day, it’s ok. Didn’t feel like it on Friday, but didn’t want to pay for the train either so just sucked it up.

I like it, I can eat pretty much as much cake as I can afford 8)

ribena
    Free Member

I used to do 12 miles each way every day into London.

The alternative way of getting to work meant a horrendously overcrowded train and I could never face it.

I wouldn’t want to ride any further than that every day, certainly not without a backup method of getting to work. Sometimes it was a real chore, especially in winter when i wasn’t feeling 100%. Thankfully it was quite flat so i could always crawl in.

It was great in the summer however, and despite what people say, most people in London are quite friendly and I frequently chatted with people at the lights and so on.

I don’t know how you guys do 40 miles every day!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

20 miles but have been driving in/riding home/riding in/driving home a couple of times a a week, usually out and about the rest of the time so need the car.

normally about 1.15 home 1.30 there, keeps the fitness ticking over quite nicely

Mister-P
    Free Member

Mine’s a minimum of 20 miles but tends to creep up as the weather improves. Out of the ten journeys a week I try to ride 6 and drive 4 of them. Last week totalled 184 miles on my Genesis Flyer singlespeed, an average of 30 miles per ride which I think is fairly respectable.

D0NK

It’s obviously doable coz others manage it, question is how long have you got to get some training? I’ve been doing ~25mile minimum round trip 4 days a week for about 9 years, was doing ~18miles for a few years before that. ~33 is the most I do semi regularly, I do the occasional monster commute days, but they wipe me out so not sustainable.

Upping the effort, an extra hill or a few more miles than usual can knock you on your arse so keep it steady. Offroad/cycle track you have the option to go as slow as you want to save your legs – but unless it’s well tarmaced it will add effort, even smooth hardpack is draggy. On road there are certain points where I feel a lot safer upping the speed to closer to the cars around me (taking the lane etc) so can interfere with an energy saving “slow n steady” riding style.

Killing yourself commuting can be demoralising if you’re not fit to do a “proper” ride at weekend…but if it’s just a short term thing probably embrace it all as free riding time, pedal your legs off, sleep soundly at night and rest at weekends.

ant77
    Free Member

Mine’s 30km pretty much on the dot each way.
    But that is a very roundabout route taking in a couple of good climbs (Ranmore, and up to and down Staples which is a fantastic view on a sunny morning)
    Home journey can be anywhere in the Surrey Hills… 🙂
    Direct is a lot shorter but a lot busier with other traffic.

philjunior
    Free Member

I normally do 10-11 miles each way. 1h30 will be plenty to do 18 miles. You might be tired by the end of the week or two but you’ll cope fine, just avoid having to race.

I have occasionally cycled 45-50 miles to a weekend away or to see a friend after work on a Friday, which can be a challenge at the end of the week, but is rewarded with ample booze.

mcj78
    Free Member

18 seems to be a popular commuting distance on here, i’m the same-ish – 18.5 miles each way if I do cyclepath/road or bang on 20 if I stay on the cyclepath pretty much all the way, only done it 5 days in a row once & I was burst all weekend after that, although I suppose i’d get used to it eventually… I don’t beat myself up about it though & just stick to the dry-ish days. The headwinds are a killer sometimes though, last Monday it took me 1:30 to get into work & 55 minutes home.

OP – try & make a point of doing it once or twice per week at first, I started with Tuesday & Thursday at first, then progressed to Mon/Wed/Fri, then Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri, just think of all the food you can eat as inspiration & you’ll obviously need some new gear and perhaps a new bike too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The headwinds are a killer sometimes though, last Monday it took me 1:30 to get into work & 55 minutes home.

Sounds like my commute last week, headwind in the morning Monday to Thursday, Tuesday was the worst, think I was 1h30 too. You don’t ride Kilmarnock-Glasgow-Kilmarnock do you 🙂

mcj78
    Free Member

I’m plagued by the terrible easterly winds of Renfrewshire, (Lochwinnoch-Glasgow-Lochwinnoch) although one day last week it all went to cock & somehow I had a tailwind in and again going home, it was magnificent although I now may owe my soul to the dark lord himself. Still, it was worth it at the time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Must have been Friday as I had brutal headwinds in all week – although I would much rather have a headwind in than home.

Mister-P
    Free Member

you’ll obviously need some new gear and perhaps a new bike too.

This goes without saying.

TiRed

75 km into work# and 15 km home. I do that once a week for training miles. Of course I also ride the shorter route in and out on other days up to about 160 km/week

18 miles each way is possible but if you do it every day you will always be hungry (it’s 1200 Kcal) and likely to be tired.

#Windsor to Uxbridge via laps of Chobham Common.

laurentrobert
    Free Member

Currently doing LS4 to Central Leeds.

A puny 2.9 miles each way (and that’s if I go the long way round to take in a few steep roads…). Can be as few as 1.9 taking a linear route.

The pros are that I can roll out of bed at 8.30 and be at my desk by 9, cons are that that for long rides before or after work I have to spend ages (well, 20 mins!) riding out of/back into the city before I hit anywhere nice and quiet.

Gary_M
    Free Member

18 miles each way is possible but if you do it every day you will always be hungry (it’s 1200 Kcal) and likely to be tired.

That’s not the case once your body is used to it. I do 20 each way most days and don’t eat any more than usual, I’m not always hungry and I’m no more tired than usual.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

To be fair I could do with the deficit!

Completed 12 miles of hill sprints and general cruising on my CX.

Hope to ride to work next month after done more training.

Thanks everyone for inspiring me with their commutes, appreciated as I would have chickened out.

dpfr

The drect route is 17 miles each way, straight down the A6 into central Manchester, and is all a bit yuk.

The scenic route is 34 miles/2900 feet, and is rather less yuk

I peobably don’t do it more than once a week though

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Your (longest) commute distance?’ is closed to new replies.