Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Your last guitar – Acoustic?
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Definitely a Jimmy Moon – I so want one, but don’t play enough these days!

That said, I do love my Seagull – I am a fan of smaller bodied acoustics though so the Mini Jumbo shape suits me pretty well.

CountZero

No cutaways as acoustics with cutaways suck!

I’ve seen enough real professional musicians on stage playing acoustics with cutaways to say that statement is rubbish.

Just one of many I’ve seen being used on stage.
    Several people have mentioned Seagull guitars; a friend of mine was bought a Seagull when she was around 12-13, (she’s now a 30-something with two daughters), and her dad paid £99, which all the rest of their friends thought was a bit of a bargain, especially as it had a solid top. Turns out to be the case, considering how much a Seagull goes for now.
    Lovely understated instrument.
    That Moon Glasgow Rose guitar is just breathtakingly, heartbreakingly lovely! Beautiful inlay work.

justinbieber

I’d say it depends on your budget (apologies if you mentioned it), whether you’re a strummer or a finger picker, and whether you want to play live, record, or if it’s just for your own entertainment at home.

Also, do you want it as an investment piece – if it’s not going to leave the house and you have some spare cash, you could buy a vintage acoustic and it *should* increase in value.

I’d be looking at Martins or Gibsons, but that’s just me. I agree that Taylor’s sound too zingy, but plenty of other people disagree – it really is a personal thing with guitars, even more so with acoustics. Get out and play some from different brands and styles, then you can start to narrow it down.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

How about a McIlroy? He left Lowden to found his own company. Beautiful looking guitars in the Lowden mould but a fair bit cheaper.

tyger
    Free Member

I was told that Taylor’s will only ever sound as good as when you buy them but Martins improve with age. I had a Martin for many years and it sounds better every time I play it

righog
    Free Member

I am only going over what has already been said, but I guess it re enforces the point.

I had a large amount of money in the bank ( a one off ) due to moving house, and decided to invest in Guitar, the money would be absorbed in the house move, so for once I could buy without any real budget. I went to a best guitar shop I could find and started at the most expensive acoustic (a Martin) and worked my way down the price range, I went on sound and playability, then got the guy in the shop to play the ones I liked best (100 times better player than I will ever be ) so I could hear what they really sounded like to the listener. This process resulted in the purchase of a Simon and Patrick, which I still love 20 ish years later. It has has a hard life and sounds better with age. I would still love a martin one day though.

plumber
    Free Member

Well its been a real roller-coaster ride of opinions that I’m very grateful for.

Ultimately I have ordered the Collings I played on Sunday last. Multitudes of reasons but it just sung to me a little bit more than the D28.

Given enough money I would have had both.

I will ad that being lefty does add a whole load of issues to the decision too

Very happy now though

Plum

nickc

Anything else to consider? Any help gratefully received

TBH, like NW i’d say find a shop that has plenty of guitars to try and spend the afternoon there, but I’m as baffled as he clearly is, as to why that’s missing the point?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Imported a takamine nv340s from america about 10 years ago.. Absolutely Lovely guitar and worked out much cheaper even with import duty..

ianpv
    Free Member

If I was after a guitar for the rest of my life I’m not sure I’d get a dreadnought – Martins are just beautiful (and my favourite guitars) but D28s and HD28s are at there very best when played loud I think and you get that projection they give. when I’m ancient I imagine I’ll want something that sounds good and balanced quiet – an OM or something. That said, I’d buy an HD-28VS – slope shoulder, slot head – beautiful. I’ve played a couple of really nice santa cruzs too.

Those big Martins are also very different in tone to the jumbo gibsons. I’m surprised people are suggesting both as they’re totally different. A mate of mine bought himself a 50 year old J45 for his 50th birthday and it sounds and looks beautiful – but not the guitar for me.

svensvenson

Personally I bought a LAG two years back. The more I play other peoples’ guitars, the more I love my own. I would only add that I bought from a luthier who set the whole thing up for me, which probably makes all the difference. seriously. My brother has some fairly expensive guitars that don’t play very well, but he’s never taken them in to be set up. nuff said.

brassneck

Molgrips – a little larger than the Crafter travel type acoustics, but something I’ve got in mind for a travel (car, hotels away) acoustic is a Martin LX1 aka Ed Sheeran’s guitar. Don’t let that sway you one way or other, but it’s worth a look. Shout if you find any other options though, I’m prepared for it to be a little bigger but sound better if that makes sense rather than really small (I’ll take a mandolin instead :-D)

I’m torn about getting someone else to play it. See what you mean about listening from the front, but Billy Gibbons still sounds like Billy Gibbons on an acoustic.. think the player will colour it with their sound which might not be ‘you’.

guitarhero
    Free Member

See you’re sorted Plumber, but have you seen Patrick Eggle’s acoustics?
    There is definitely one of these in my future

Eggle lefties

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you get chance go try a cole clark….

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/cole-clark-uk/

joelowden

Username says it all… I have a very lovely Lowden S10 bought from the factory a good while ago .

plumber
    Free Member

Guitarhero

That a lovely looking set of lefties – Wish I’d have seen that before but my guitar has arrived and is sitting under my desk right now.

1 hour and 10 minutes before I get to leave the office – time has never gone so slow……………………………………………………………………………………………….

psychobiker
    Free Member

This is my last and only acoustic a Psycho Biker homemade special, hope it lasts that long.

Cherry, Maple and Wenge with double acting trussrod.

Thanks to Robert Benedetto for the book.

Marcel

leffeboy

That book looks fantastic psychobiker. How long did it take and where did you source the wood?

psychobiker
    Free Member

It took 6 months to make, as only had any spare time on it, timber was sourced from work, as left over or scrap pieces, which is why the neck is made of so many pieces, If you want to lose a few hours of your life full build is logged here,

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=611781

Really enjoyed doing it and hope to build more, as and when time and finances allow.

Marcel

Edukator
    Free Member

I had another play in the shop today. The one I couldn’t remember the name of is a Breedlove. The Yamaha I like is an LL6. Some others will remain nameless: A nut so high the first fret sounded out of tune on one 600e guitar, another with an action so high I couldn’t play anything beyond the seventh fret without muting strings unintentionally. In terms of factory set up the Yamaha and a cheap Fender were just as I like, other I felt needed the nut filing and/or the bridge replacing. Why fit a very rounded bridge on a guitar with only a slightly rounded fret board?

You are a very patient man, psychobiker. Replacing a fret takes me to the limit of mine.

chipps

Typically late to the conversation here… My conventional vote is for a Martin too, but an OM28. I think that dreadnoughts are too ubiquitous. Unfortunately, I only seem to like the vintage looking ones or the actual vintage ones, so that’s all a bit expensive.

However, if you’re talking about ‘the one’ – then Jeff Traugott. Something like a five year waiting list, Brazilian rosewood, hand made and sprayed by one guy (who rides bikes and works in a workshop right next door to Rock Lobster Cycles) and prices start – START – at $26,500… They are stunning though!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Your last guitar – Acoustic?’ is closed to new replies.