Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • your kids ages and favourite book?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

how old are your kids and what are their favourite book/s? trying to get an idea of what sort of age words become more important than pictures and how long kids books should be 🙂

sandwicheater

Dylan is 5 months, he’s our first and i’m currently reading Roald Dhal’s Revolting Rhymes. Don’t think he could care less but i’m enjoying them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

deadly junior: 8 months.
    favourite book: A Brief History of Time, followed closely by The Complete Works of W.B. Yeats.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sssimon
    Free Member

kids are 1 1/2 and 4, little one is still very much at the picture stage, older one is a Julia Donaldson (gruffalo etc) or jez alborough (duck in a truck series)fan.

I think even at 4 the pictures make the story for him, was probably about 2 when he started remembering bits for the stories. I’d say the best kids books at that age are about 12-20 pages long and each page have about 4 lines for test, any more and they want to change the page before they’ve heard the story.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Tyler is 14 and favours Razzle.

He liked pictures for a few years then words for a few more and has recently gone back to pictures.

carlosg
    Free Member

Marcus two and a half loves anything postman pat mainly board type books but also loves The Gruffalo.
    Luke eight and a half has the reading age of a twelve year old according to his teacher and is currently reading the ‘Charlie Bone’ series of books , hes read all the Harry Potter books and the Hobbit too he slso liks Micheal Morpurgo books ,we’ve bought him an ebook to save his bedroom becoming a fire hazard.

kimbers

kimbers jr nearly 3

as said all of the julia donaldson stuff, Ive probably read the gruffalo more times than ive hat hot,cold or luke warm dinners

Beware of the Frog is a particular favourite

I always read smelly troll with a french accent!

jr jr (nearly 1 yr) likes the Thats Not My….. touchy feely books

or this little baby one you get free at the clinics

baby
    Free Member

Me; 34 1/4, The Hungry Caterpillar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Little Miss CFH, 8 months.
    Favourite book to read – That’s not my penguin. A real page turner, with some excellent character development. Also, it has a mouse in a scuba mask.
    Favourite book to eat – “My dog book”. A soft, chewable oeuvre.

camo16
    Free Member

Camo8 (8 years old) loves Roald Dahl.

I prefer Duck in the Truck. 😳

juanking

Miss King adores the That’s not my ……. books. She’s 10 months and loves the textures of the various characters.

TheFlyingOx

My niece is six, and is very amused by The Gashlycrumb Tinies. Big picture on each page with a few carefully chosen – and horrifying – words.

She and the younger one (4 yo) also LOVE this – it’s in Russian so you have to read the subtitles to them:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCsJZV7aCdY[/video]

I, on the other hand, am a spritely 34 years and 2 weeks old, and I still enjoy a good reading of The Quangle Wangle’s Hat.

lodious
    Free Member

7 year old boy, currently reading Danny, Champion of the World. What a quality book.

He also likes Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (another quality book…nothing like the film).

crankboy
    Free Member

crankbrat is 2 years and 2 weeks . His favourite may will be “Dave” , the story of Dave the cat who is so fat he gets stuck in the cat flap ” how embarrassing ” he is ultimately saved by the other animals feeding him beans and “more beans” until he farts and flies off out of the flap. Crankbrat soon started to pick up on and anticipate the interesting words and can now do the entire story from memory while turning the pages . he also has an obsession with Thomas the tank engine and can remember significant chunks . though our tree hugger hippie values tend to object to some of the apparent subtexts in some of the Thomas stories.

carlosg
    Free Member

Marcus two and a half loves anything postman pat mainly board type books but also loves The Gruffalo.
    Luke eight and a half has the reading age of an twelve year old according to his teacher and is currently reading the ‘Charlie Bone’ series of books , hes read all the harry potter booms and the hobbit too we’ve bought him an ebook to save his bedroom becoming a fire hazard.

carlosg
    Free Member

Double post half an hour apart ? How did that happen 😳

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

little one is 3 (just, this week) Goldilocks and any Julia Donaldson stuff – Stick Man is her fave, and the Gruffalo…..i know them all by heart just about

And that “This Little Baby” book above was also a fave 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon round about 8 they stop being so interested in the pics. All are different though, eh Phil!?

Currently enjoying Jo Nesbo’s “Dr. Proctor’s Fart Powder” (very few pics, all of which he criticises for being “crap”.)
    Just finished “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel” (he liked looking at the pics in that)
    He’s 10.

nwgiles

Evan is 3 years old, current favourite is ‘The Smartest Giant in Town’

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Evan

High fives nwgiles 😀

D0NK

2 and 3.5, previous favourites gruffalo, smartest giant and most of the JD stuff, eldest knows chocolate mousse for greedy goose verbatim and can “read” it to his little bro, cute. Currently it’s Where’s my cow? which wasn’t what I expected when I bought it and now the eldest does foul ole ron and coffin henry noises – awesome.

BTW what is the correct pronunciation of “ptui!” ?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My 5-year old has recently found a copy of the 3 Robbers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Robbers
    used to belong to my wife when she was a child.
    He loves it.

To be honest, he loves all books. He’s verging on hyperactive, but has always, always sat quietly when being read to and its magical now that he can read and wants to read, constantly pushing himslef on more complex stuff 🙂

His younger brother who’s nearly 1 is starting to get the idea of being read to too, he loves opening and closing any book to see what’s inside.

I should add, they both love reading Singletrack 😉

Edit, 5 year old also loves Beatrix Potter stories. Our joint fave to read to him is the Tailor of Gloucester.

jamiea
    Free Member

Little One (14 months) likes this:

TBH she hasn’t show a preference to any particular book, the ‘That’s not my…’ series are good with the different textures.

Cheers,
    Jamie

the-muffin-man

My girl is 10 and has read all the ‘Mr Gum’, ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ and Roald Dahl books many times over.

She now needs something new!

chakaping
    Free Member

what sort of age words become more important than pictures and how long kids books

About four and a half for my daughter, but it probably varies a fair bit.

Had to read loads of jewel/rainbow/weather/biscuit fairies books lately. That woman doesn’t half crank them out.

Miss King adores the That’s not my ……. books.

Did you know they;re supposed to be read in the style of The Ting Tings’ That’s Not My Name?

D0NK

Did you know they;re supposed to be read in the style of The Ting Tings’ That’s Not My Name?

😆 will try that in future
    <insert gif of applauding audience here>

ransos
    Free Member

Miss R is 2 and 2 months. She loves all Julia Donaldson books (I realised during a long car trip that I can recite the Gruffalo, Gruffalo’s child, Room on the Broom, What the Ladybird Heard and Squash and a Squeeze from memory). The Tiger Who Came to Tea is also a favourite, the the author must’ve been taking some good drugs when she wrote that.

GrahamS

Anything by Julia Donaldson gets a big thumbs up from my 3 year old as well. I like them too – lots of character and a nice cadence to them that is easy to read with enthusiasm.

All the Mr Men and Little Miss books were popular for ages, but seem to have fallen out of favour recently.

Crag
    Free Member

Eldest has just turned 8 and is working her way through the Harry Potter books but her favourites are the Enid Blyton St Clare series.

6 year old is just getting into Roald Dahl and loved The Twits. Some of the newer editions are better illustrated than the older ones so this probably contributed to her enjoying it so much.

With both mine, the tipping point has been about 6ish when they became a little less interested in the pictures and most so in the narrative.

Perennial favourite though has to be Dear Dragon by An Vrombaut. Well, its mine anyway.

GrahamS

By the way, I’d recommend this one to anyone trying to get their kids (particularly 2-4yo girls) into cycling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405493283

About a girl growing up being taken out on a bike seat, going to school, getting her own bike and learning to ride without stabilisers.

bencooper
    Free Member

Our offspring is 3-and-a-bit, and has lots of favourites – this week it’s been The Cat In The Hat, a book about a dancing Kangaroo (forget the name), The Elephant And The Bad Baby, and a pop-up book about how the body works, among others.

She’s at the stage where sometimes she likes reading by herself, sometimes just likes someone to read to her while she looks at the pictures.

juanking

Chaka, I’ll try reading the latest batch (just arrived from Amazon) of That’s not my …… books in a Ting Tings stylee. I can’t see it going down well with either of the ladies….

tonyd

Why do you ask Phil? Are you just interested, thinking of writing one, or need ideas for a present?

It varies with my two (2.5 and 3.5) from month to month. Currently the youngest loves the Dinosaur that pooped Christmas and we have to read it every night before bed. The eldest likes things like the tiger that came to tea but always comes back to the Thomas the Tank books – we got the whole collection second hand ages ago and still haven’t got through them all as we have to read the same ones over.

The eldest isn’t really recognising words just yet but he’s showing an interest. He is starting to memorise the stories though and can ‘read’ some books back to you fairly accurately.

johndoh
    Free Member

I quite like these two – bought by a friend in the States

and these

Junkyard
    Free Member

About a girl growing up being taken out on a bike seat, going to school, getting her own bike and learning to ride without stabilisers.

YE GODS NOT A HELMET INSIGHT YOU FOOL HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HER

Just asked mine

6 year old
    What is your favourite book- Star wars
    Me – have you ever read it
    Him – No

GrahamS

Oh yeah, well spotted Junky 😕
    Pretty sure she has a nice pink helmet in the story though.

DezB
    Free Member

By the way, I’d recommend this one to anyone trying to get their kids (particularly 2-4yo girls) into cycling…

About a girl growing up being taken out on a bike seat, going to school, getting her own bike and learning to ride without stabilisers

S-s-s-stabilisers! Oh the HORROR! surely, Tarquin and Jamilla will only be seen on balance bikes these days??!

senorj

L’il J (12 months) likes to tear the pop up bits out of Moomin popup books. Ha.

mark90
    Free Member

Daughter is 6 and is really into the Rainbow Fairy books These are the first books which are definately more wordy the pictures that she’s been into. Still quite likes the JD book as well, although we all know them off by heart now.

D0NK

By the way, I’d recommend this one to anyone trying to get their kids (particularly 2-4yo girls) into cycling:

ordered, anything’s worth a shot

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘your kids ages and favourite book?’ is closed to new replies.