Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Your(-ish) camping pictures
  • nedrapier

and a couple from Canada

matt_outandabout

Bivvi done properly.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dp92XK]Canoe river Spey[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

Bivvi done properly.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dp92XK]Canoe river Spey[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Work.The majority of my camps for the last 20 years, so few pics.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/v2Dyx]walesmay06008[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

peterfile
    Free Member

These really are awesome guys! 🙂

Some of these look absolutely idyllic, then I cross reference this with the midges thread, shudder, and stick to enjoying them in 2d only.

One word….winter.

There is a bit of an initial outlay for getting reasonably good kit, but once you’ve got a decent tent, bag and mat, you open up a whole new side to this fair island. For us, once we had a decent “system” going, the whole experience went for being a bit of a pain to being easy and exciting. I’m not a fan of camping in summer.

No midges, very few people, incredible scenery…it opens up things that you wouldn’t normally get to experience.

It’s not without its challenges, but it’s worth it (most of the time!). Extremely satisfying in more senses than you’d think.

Coldest 24 hours of last winter…trying to make coffee at 8am. Constantly trying to keep the stove clear and hide from the debilitating wind, still bleary eyed, but genuinely the best cup of coffee you’ll ever taste.

We had 2 bottles on mulled wine on the stove the night before while wrapped in the bags and staring out over moonlit mountainscapes and countless stars. It’s the little things 🙂

Waking up places like that when you probably shouldn’t be there…it’s addictive.

grahamt1980

Massively impressed with some of these.
    Just makes me impatient for my 3 month old to be able to come with me on trips.

MadBillMcMad

fail

scruff9252

What sleeping mats are you using for the winter camping?

peterfile
    Free Member

Exped Synmat.

Almost bought the Downmat, but there was only a difference of 1 in R value, same weight…but the Synmat was much cheaper and IMO more robust to the occasional blowing up by mouth if needed. Plus we use the mats in summer too and the slightly lower R value is appreciated on warm nights.

I camp on snow and frozen ground a lot and never had a cold back.

To date, the best money we’ve spent on outdoor kit. I’ve gone from restlessness and being fairly uncomfortable to being really comfortable and sleeping well. That’s about the best money you can spend on camping kit!

grahamt1980

The exped down mat is fantastic. Nothing better than if you have to get up for a pee. When you get back in the mat is still warm.

northernatheart
    Free Member

Love these camping shots. Especially the winter ones. Usually find packing for winter a real struggle. Once i have a winter bag, winter tent and mat in the rucksack I pretty much have no room for anything else. How are you guys getting this stuff up the mountain?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For proper wild winter camping / bivi I still use a winter rated closed cell foam mat. Everything else 3/4 thermarest / fat-airic

matt_outandabout

How are you guys getting this stuff up the mountain?

Bigger rucsac.

flyingmonkeycorps

Loving this thread. Don’t get to camp as often as I like but I’ve a weekend free over Halloween so planning on going out either in the Peak or (hopefully) the Lakes.

Overlooking Snowdon a few years back:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cQuemL]IMG_0177[/url] by Will Slater, on Flickr

peterfile
    Free Member

How are you guys getting this stuff up the mountain?

often with some protest 🙂

Between two:

4.5kg tent
    2.8kg sleeping bags
    1.5kg mats
    0.7kg wine
    4kg packs
    2kg water
    1kg food
    0.7kg stove, pot and fuel
    0.5kg camera stuff
    2kg other stuff (mostly hers!)

19.7kg – about 10kg each.

We could lighten the load quite a bit (and often do for longer/higher routes), but winter can be very uncomfortable if you sacrifice too many “nice to haves”.

We’re there because we want to be, not because we have to be, so nice things are non negotiable 🙂

If I’m on a winter climbing trip my camping kit gets stripped right back to bare essentials because I’ve got a ton of extra stuff to factor in.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Off for a on/off road bivi adventure this weekend, hopefully something like these:

jam-bo

I see all your lightweight setups and raise you.

tHe mothership, About 50kg dry, about 100kg wet. Masses of space for when the weather isn’t great. Could probably sleep about 12 with room to spare.

northernatheart
    Free Member

Thankyou. I need to get the scales out.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Me on top of Suiliven. It was freezing 😀

It was also about 11pm in mid June. The midges were kept away by the howling gale coming in off the sea.

knightrider3
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

arrghhh can people put where these are taken please…

My previous were Red Tarn, Helvellyn and disaster in my Sister’s £50 Argos tent lower Styhead Gill, Seathwaite.
    on the banks of Grenz Glacier, Gornergrat, nr Zermatt (Saunders tent, which was brilliant lightweight 2 man, don’t think they exist anymore?)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Your(-ish) camping pictures’ is closed to new replies.