Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Your house – too much clutter or not enough storage?
  • amodicumofgnar

Whats the views on the news new houses dont have enough storage space.

Watched BBC breakfast put the spin on its too much clutter rather than not enough space. Personally I dont want to de-clutter my dyson or floor mop and bucket but would like somewhere to put them out of site. Like a cupboard. I'm happy enough with one or two bikes in the kitchen but draw the line a tools and cleaning kit.

There was a bit on Radio 4 yesterday where some housing industry bloke tried to feed the line big houses cost more and now isnt the time to build them. Unfortunately, as pointed out by radio 4 bod, houses seem to get much smaller in a boom.

fisha
    Free Member

too many bloody clothes of the wife's is the principle problem in my house. !

tinsy
    Free Member

Too many kids in mine… 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

in our one bedroom flat i've got 3 bikes, various bike tools and clothing, a snowboard and gear under the bed, diving equipment and gear also under the bed, two tents and various outdoor equipment. we are definitely short of space!

thepodge
    Free Member

most modern housing (flats especially) tend not to have enough room for a set of draws or a wardrobe as they are built to minimum size regulations for cost reasons. I used to do a load of steelwork for flats and offices and it never failed to amaze me how little room there was.

Drac

Too much clutter in our house.

mcboo
    Free Member

We've got a cellar full of building materials, old prams and other junk. I WILL get it cleaned out and turned into a perfect gleaming home for my 4 bikes.

shortcut

Rooms are definately getting smaller. Wardrobes are a lot smaller and the furniture put in show homes seems to be for dwarfs. It is laughable even in some of the bigger houses.

There are some new houses near mine which are quite big on account of having 3 floors but nothing can bring back the minimal footprint they have, front to back is about 20ft although I may be being generous. This is a 4 bed home too!

miketually
    Free Member

To get our house ready for selling, we took 2 car-fulls of crap to the tip, and a third car full to store in my brother-in-law's garage. That's a lot of crap.

We'd have more room if my wife didn't insist on buying Christmas cards in January and my kids didn't bring back more toys (usually dolls and Barbies) from every crappy church fair they went to.

Obviously, my old bikes, magazines, shelves of books, old printers, etc. are all useful and not clutter in any way.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Not enough storage!

Regards,
    Mr. Trebus.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

We bought a new build, you just have to be picky. While our rooms are not huge, we have an office for work clutter, with space for a huge desk, office chair, reading armchair, two huge bookcases and several shelves. We've got a huge downstairs loo with plenty of space for shelving for house clutter, understair cupboard for shoes and coat clutter and an entire garage for bike and garden clutter. Upstairs we have 2 alcoves for wardrobe/chest of drawers in the main bed and an alcove for a wardrobe in the spare bed. Plus the roofspace for 'misc' clutter 😉

Acres of storage for clutter. I still clutter the place up by dumping stuff on the dining room table when I come in of an evening though 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

Plenty of storage, children that insist on not using it.

Keva
    Free Member

houses have been getting smaller for years…. Im surprised people have only just begun to notice.

tang
    Free Member

create space and it will be filled. we are in a small two bed semi, despite regular purges there is never enough room. we are moving to a 5 bed detached house with acres of storage in december, no doubt we will fill with who knows what before long. i think back 11 years ago before children me and my wife moved house from devon to gloucestershire on the train! 4 large holdalls, guitar and a bike….

Typical British living conditions.

Most of my American family/friends think Brits are mad for leaving their expensive cars outside in all weathers whilst their junk and lawn mowers fill up the garage!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Most of my American family/friends think Brits are mad for leaving their expensive cars outside in all weathers whilst their junk and lawn mowers fill up the garage!

What car? My GFs beat up old piece of crap isn't worth half of one of my bikes 😀 The garage was never intended to store motor conveyances in :mrgreen:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Your house – too much clutter or not enough storage?’ is closed to new replies.