Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Your home studio pics please – music that is
  • plumber
    Free Member

The only incarnation I was ever happy with

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

This is something I really want to give a go, tried enrolling on a music software/production course at the local college but they’ve binned it due to lack of uptake. 🙁
    Are there any books or vids, etc. that I could refer to, to start from?

TheFlyingOx

If there’s nothing locally available, you can always just search for lessons on the internet. There are generally loads of YouTube videos on how to create ‘X effect’ in ‘Y software’. Once you have a basic grounding the majority of it is experimentation.
    Also, decide on your music production software of choice and concentrate on learning that one. Fruity Loops seems to be one of the more accessible for the learner and it’s supremely capable of producing top quality music, but after trying Ableton Live (as I believe plumber has up there) I’d say it’s worth the extra expenditure for all the added trickery it’s capable of. All in my humble opinion, of course. I’ve only ever used Noteworthy, Fruity Loops and most recently Ableton, but there are others out there that could well be more suited for you.

TheFlyingOx

Also, look at ccMixter for loads of free samples and examples to play about with.

_tom_
    Free Member

+ an SM57. Not really a studio but it works well enough haha.

Software wise I use Reaper as I’ve tried all the bigger ones and they all seem bloated and faffy in comparison. I don’t do loads of electronic music, just program drums (EZDrummer) to record guitars to, and have the occasional go at a dubstep or dnb track! Not really a fan of Ableton at all, if I wanted to do electronic stuff I’d go for Logic.

guitarhero
    Free Member

My humble studio, built on to the side of my garage. I’m using Logic pro. It’s the nuts. Use a AKG solid tube mic on the rare occasion I record vocals. I’ve got a Korg triton as well, but Logic has all the sounds I could ever need anyway.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You chaps would benefit from some acoustic treatments (traps/attenuators/diffusors). I see lots and lots of reflective surfaces and right angles.

Milkie
    Free Member

When I had a studio, I put thick curtains around the whole room, I was quite surprised at the difference it made!

I tried to find some old photo’s I’ve posted many years ago on TSSN, Tidy & BT, but I cannot find them. 😥

_tom_
    Free Member

You chaps would benefit from some acoustic treatments (traps/attenuators/diffusors). I see lots and lots of reflective surfaces and right angles.

I would do this if I took it seriously enough. I can’t be bothered to get geeky/technical about it, plus I’m planning to move out soon anyway. The Auralex moPads get rid of enough excessive rumble for me 🙂

I don’t even have a proper bass guitar for recording yet so nothing I produce is gonna sound perfect – there’s only so much a pitchshifted guitar will do 😛

Lifer
    Free Member

Logic Pro/Motu 828 is all I needs. Mostly remixing stuff

http://www.myspace.com/dreaddibnah

But recorded and mixed my band

http://www.myspace.com/eightdirtypages

and a couple of live demos for my mate’s covers band

http://www.myspace.com/solicerock

Milkie
    Free Member

Like your remix of The Collector! Very Bristol esk, I mean triphopish.

Those drums sound like a real drummer, or can you drum and know how to program a drum machine properly? lol

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I would do this if I took it seriously enough. I can’t be bothered to get geeky/technical about it, plus I’m planning to move out soon anyway.

You would (possibly) be very surprised how much better your room would sound by just, as milkie has, putting twenty quid’s worth of charity shop curtains up on the exposed brickwork and in the corners. Even ready-made pro acoustic treatments are removeable, so would be an investment rather than just an expense. It’s also very easy to make effective treatments with Rockwool panels – the easy way, by just wrapping them in material and hanging them from the ceiling; or by making wooden frames to hold them. I get some pictures of my efforts up later.

If you don’t have the ear for it, fair enough; but working in an acoustically calmer environmnet will make listening to and working with music a much better experience. Until you come to understand the space you’re working in, or even once you do, reflections can make it very difficult to determine what you’re hearing from the monitors and what you’re hearing from the surface behind/beside/above you.

trailmonkey

I’ve got an aural picture or two

Right here

Lifer
    Free Member

Milkie – Member
    Like your remix of The Collector! Very Bristol esk, I mean triphopish.

Those drums sound like a real drummer, or can you drum and know how to program a drum machine properly? lol

Ta!

It’s a drum loop taken from a band called Clutch, big jam from ‘Live at the Googolplex’, Jean Paul Gastier is probably my favourite rock drummer so much groove! All my stuff is just mucking around so I use what ever samples I can 😀

Milkie
    Free Member

This seems like the right place/time to ask…

Does anyone want a bunch of old computer music magazines!? Some have the CD’s others don’t.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Most of the stuff I have is old, but not old enough to be great.

Roland VS1680 hard disc recorder.
    Alesis compressors and processors.
    Marshall JMP1
    Rhode mike for vocals.

I’ve been rocording stuff since the 70s when I had a Tascam four track reel to reel. It’s great fun, I love it, but it takes time and a day is gone in 5 mins. Anyone else notice the timeshift effect of recording?

You can hear some of my stuff here…

duntmatter
    Free Member

Here’s mine, unfortunately..

One day, though..

EddieFiola
    Free Member

How on earth do you put pictures on here? why cant you just cut and paste?
    \

_tom_
    Free Member

You would (possibly) be very surprised how much better your room would sound by just, as milkie has, putting twenty quid’s worth of charity shop curtains up on the exposed brickwork and in the corners. Even ready-made pro acoustic treatments are removeable, so would be an investment rather than just an expense. It’s also very easy to make effective treatments with Rockwool panels – the easy way, by just wrapping them in material and hanging them from the ceiling; or by making wooden frames to hold them. I get some pictures of my efforts up later.

Cool, may be worth investigating it a bit more then! I think this room will be quite hard to sort as it’s basically a small cube which I’ve read is one of the least ideal setups for this sort of thing. I’ve used “proper” studios at uni so I understand how they’re better, just have a hard time justifying it for home use, but if it’s not too expensive I’ll look into it again.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Eddie – find the address of the picture, usually something like http://www.mypics.com/photo.jpg – and put that on here, surrounded by on each side.

plumber
    Free Member

Strato – thats a lovely looking studio

pomona
    Free Member

Don’t have any pics of mine but I’m using a Macbook Pro running Ableton, Reason and a few VST’s. Hardware wise all I have as a Novation Nocturn Keyboard which I don’t like plus an Akai APC40 which I love.

Tried many using Fruityloops, Cubase and Logic in the past all are excellent but for me nothing comes close to Ableton. It’s pretty good at the production side of things but really comes into it’s own (IMHO) for mixing/DJing. I have a few finished tracks but now I tend to make loads of shorter loops and mix them into other tracks.

chipps

No home studio apart from Garageband and Logic Express… but this is the pedalboard at the moment. Needs resorting (again) already.

trailmonkey

crikey, have you not got loads of hum and noise from all those pedals ? 😯

chipps

Oddly, at the moment I have. I reckon it’s a power supply issue though as it’s only just started. Usually it’s surprisingly quiet. I went from doing one gig with the full board and then the next one was just amp and a tuner. Depressingly, I didn’t really need any of the pedals for the songs, though it does sound mighty nice with them on…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Your home studio pics please – music that is’ is closed to new replies.