Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Your going to love this …….Tenant issues again !!!!
  • renton
    Free Member

After a bit of advcie really(again)

Basically after our last lot of tenants messed us around we issued them a s21 and they left on time.

We now have a new tenant and when my wife met her at the house she got the impression she was a nice girl and was looking for somewhere to rent longterm.

we initally signed her up for a 6 month term(all this is done through a letting agent btw) with the proviso that if the rent etc was on time then we would look at long term renting to her.

Now at the time she asked if she could reduce the rent by £25 a month but we said no to this and she was ok.

The first months rent went in ok but since then we have had nothing but problems with late payments etc and this month the rent is over due by nearly 3 weeks now.

The excues have ranged from late payments due to bank holiday, been paid late by her employer, incorrect standing order details from the letting agent?

This month she said the rent left her account on the 1st but was returned to her from her bank on the 4th ?? she then wnet on to say last week that she would clear the rent yesterday (17/07) the letting agent asked her why she couldnt pay the full amount when they first contacted her on the 10th as she would have had the full amount sat in her account as it had been apparently returned to her??

Anyway the letting agent have phoned today and informed me she still hasnt paid(even theough she emailed me to say that it had left her account yesterday) and that they will attempt to get the rent from her guarantor if it does not reach them tomorrow.

Do you think she is playing us and messing us around or due to the fact we got messed around pretty badly by our last tenants we are reading more into it than is probably needed.

thanks

Renton

wwaswas

I’d start eviction proceedings now.

It’s not going to get any better, anyone who doesn’t pay their rent on time more than once will do it again and again.

Same question as last time – you need to get de3cent lettign agents who will a) guarantee the rent and b) get off their arses to collect it on time.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Maybe its time to call it quits on the renting front.

I ‘d say sell the property but the buyer would probably pull out, pay you late or not pay at all.

Best course of action is probably to burn the property down(with no one in it) and hope you can con the insurance company.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I ‘d say sell the property but the buyer would probably pull out, pay you late or not pay at all.

😀

renton
    Free Member

If I could sell the bloody house for what I wanted for it then I would.
    Totally sick and tired of it all now, 2 lots of tenants and both messing us around.

just not worth the hassle

The joys of neg eq

bruneep

Your going to love this …….

Indeed, it should be you’re 😉

renton
    Free Member

Your going to love this …….

Indeed, it should be you’re

Doh !!

frustration kicking in !!

wwaswas

If I could sell the bloody house for what I wanted for it

you may have to accept what people are prepared to offer.

I was in negative equity and let a property for nearly 10 years until it was worth selling it (from my perspective).

I do think that I’d have been better taking a loan for the gap and selling it at a loss rather than letting it.

And I never had problem tenants.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

She signed an agreement.

She defaulted on the agreement.

It’s your property.

This is difficult for you? 😯

Cougar

Letting agency: “she’s not paid her rent”

You: “that’s very unfortunate for you, where’s my money?”

I know nothing about renting, but I’d have thought that the whole point of a letting agency was to avoid exactly this sort of problem, non? Is it normal practice for an agency to be able to withhold their payments to you on a whim?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Same advice as before

Ditch the letting agents. they are not helping. seriously get rid of them ASAP

Advertise it for rent yourself and interview yourself at below market rent – this way you will get lots of potential tenents to choose from

Start eviction proceedings now. Not tomorrow, do not stop if the rent is paid.

renton
    Free Member

It isnt difficult apart from the fact Im off to afghanistan again in 2 weeks and dont really want to leave it all to my wife to sort out….Again.

scaled
    Free Member

she got the impression she was a nice girl

How old is the tenant out of curiosity?

wwaswas

the get an agent who guarantees the rent even if they take a bigger commission and avoid the problems.

renton
    Free Member

Same advice as before

Ditch the letting agents. they are not helping. seriously get rid of them ASAP

Advertise it for rent yourself and interview yourself at below market rent – this way you will get lots of potential tenents to choose from

Start eviction proceedings now. Not tomorrow, do not stop if the rent is paid.

was doing this after the last lot of tenants Tj, advertised on gumtree and got loads of people interested. lots of them sounded really dodgy though with comments like, I dont have any references but ive been paying my mom rent for the last 3 weeks etc.

one bloke offered to pay 6 months rent in advance, but as I was in afghan at the time we though it was safer to stay with an agent.

hindsight eh!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cougar – unfortunatly thats not how it works – they are your agents acting on your behalf

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Letting agency: “she’s not paid her rent”

You: “that’s very unfortunate for you, where’s my money?”

^^ This.

renton
    Free Member

Cougar – unfortunatly thats not how it works – they are your agents acting on your behalf

^^^^^^^^ This

tenant is a single mom of around 33 years old

wwaswas

I do think that I’d have been better taking a loan for the gap and selling it at a loss rather than letting it.

And I never had problem tenants.

actually, can I retract that.

my (now) wife was my first tenant so I’m pleased that I didn’t just sell 🙂

Cougar

Or not, it seems.

Fair enough. Like I say, I know nothing about the process, but from what the OP has said here and previously it sounds like all the agency does is take a percentage in return for doing the square root of sod all. I’d be a bit vexed about that if it were me.

renton
    Free Member

cougar that is exactly right !! the agent only got their arse in gear when I chased them yet again !!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whiuch is why several of us advised renton to ditch the useless agent

wwaswas

it sounds like all the agency does is take a percentage in return for doing the square root of sod all.

it does look that way.

everyone told him they were crap last time and he should switch.

There are agents who will gaurantee the rent payment to the landlord so they accept all the risk of the tenants they find.

This lot just seem to do a gallic shrug and say ‘booffff’ when there’s a problem.

renton
    Free Member

Its pretty much the same with the other letting/estate agent in the town though, a friend rent his house out with another agent and they are as bad if not worse than mine~!!

mudshark
    Free Member

my (now) wife was my first tenant so I’m pleased that I didn’t just sell

Some people will do anything to get out of paying rent.

martinhutch

If he’s still renting, couldn’t you join forces and manage the two properties between you? You’d almost certainly do a better job.

BTW – as advised, start eviction proceedings and line up the next one. It’s only going to get worse with this tenant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In the tennants defence it’s taken me 3 months for the rent to sort itself out in the past.

Month 1 – genuin mistake, we’d intended to pay it as a one off before getting the S.O. sorted, took more days to process than anticipated

Month 2 – S.O. set up, but cleared funds didn’t arrive on the right day

Month 3 – all’s well, well actualy it’s not but we’ve an agreement with the agent that the rent will always be 3 days late as in theory it leaves my account on payday (which is the last working day before rent-day) but then doesn’t land in their account for 3 days so is late, but there’ wasn’t much way arround that to start with, could now bring it foreward a few days with savings but CBA.

I’d give her the benifit of the doubt as long as the money shows up ASAP, and next month’s is on time.

There are agents who will gaurantee the rent payment to the landlord so they accept all the risk of the tenants they find.

They usualy charge a hefty premium over the usual agents fees for this ‘insurance’ though, and the one I looked into only gaurenteed it after they found the first tennant (i.e. they reserved the right to be picky so potentialy taking longer to let), and only after each tennant has been in for 6 months (i.e. the tennant loses his/her job rather than they’ve picked a bad tennant).

renton
    Free Member

she is going to have to pay next months in 12 or 13 days time and I just cant see it happening~!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

she is going to have to pay next months in 12 or 13 days time and I just cant see it happening~!!

Depends if she’s badly organised and/or lying about when it was paid then this months cockup souldn’t affect next month. If she’s genuinly skint then serving the evition notice is probably just going to result in her not paying anything.

franksinatra

tenant is a single mom of around 33 years old

Could she not pay in other ‘services’?

I think you are lacking imagination.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies,

We have tried talking to her and the excuses above are what she has give us too.

She has also been asking me quite a lot to get rid of the letting agent and reduce the rent and also let her pay fornightly.

We would of consisdered this if she had paid on time for the first 6 months but there is not a chance now.

Matt24k
    Free Member

If I pay someone from my bank account using the faster payment option it is usually there instantly or within a maximum of 2 hours. Not sure how a payment takes 3 working days to arrive. That is unless the payment was sent after close of business on a Friday and sloshed around the banking system all weekend. I thought online banking had stopped all these hassles.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

She doesn’t bank with RBS/Natwest/Ulster Bank does she?

toys19
    Free Member

Inside the months you cannot start eviction prceedings for late rent unless they are three months late. Outside that just use your 2 months notice.

wwaswas

We would of consisdered this if she had paid on time for the first 6 months but there is not a chance now

Given that the agent seems to be doing nothing for their commission other than pass the problem on to you and if you aren’t going to evict her then why not give it some thought?

Marin
    Free Member

Evict them asap. If they are genuine they are still a plank and will be no end of trouble but se sounds like a financial disaster.
    Call your agency every hour and ask for a progress report. As a nation we are too polite and moan at the wrong people, constantly moan at the right ones and things happen. Go and knck on the door and ask where the rent money is and do not deviate from conversation line of where is my money. Cause your tenant the same stress they are causing you. And no I have no idea if this is legal but so what.
    I would say you have been very unlucky a I rent properties and so far have only had good tenants. If you have no real choice of agencies self rent it.
    Also without being rude is the house in tip top condition? Shabby houses attract shabby renters.

renton
    Free Member

house is in tip top condition Marin, she was over the moon with it.

when the boiler packed up I went out of my way to get it sorted for her in less than 3 days !!

seems like she is taking the piss out of me now !

Cougar

I rent properties

I have no idea if this is legal

Call me Mister Crazy here, but it might be an idea for you to find out.

Legoman
    Free Member

She has also been asking me quite a lot to get rid of the letting agent and reduce the rent and also let her pay fornightly.

Is she a good tenant in all other respects? (ie looking after the place, not constantly asking for minor maintenance work etc). If so, as a landlord myself, I’d sack the agent, reduce the rent by the amount you were paying them and let her pay fortnightly.
    She’s suggested this solution, so presumably it works for her and if there are no other issues it could work out for both parties.

Offset this against the cost of evicting & finding a new tenant = 1 months lost rent plus the agency’s finders fee – last time I did it, it cost me close to £1k. You need to be pretty sure you want rid to justify spending this kind of money.

Also if you think she might be a long termer… this has value. As I’ve said, changing tenants always costs money so it’s worth perservering to find a solution.

mk1fan
    Free Member

These are not Agents. They are businesses who take out a long term leases on properties and then sub let.

Inside the months you cannot start eviction prceedings for late rent unless they are three months late.

During the term of an AST then once 2-months rent is owed then proceedings can start. However, if the debt is paid – partially or fully – to below 2-months owed then proceedings automatically cease.

unfortunatly thats not how it works

True.

There is no Professional standard or requirement to be a letting agent. Many know little of basic landlord and tenant law and procedure.

There are more bad tenants than bad landlords however, that does not give the right for a landlord to run their let(s) in a lax manner.

Assuming the tenant is not going to improve. If there is still time to run on the AST then I would serve a S21 notice so that possesion procedings can commence upon expiry of the AST. If 2-months become due then serve S8 as well.

Be warned though that if the tenant is seeking council housing then they will not leave untill the Bailifs are removing them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Your going to love this …….Tenant issues again !!!!’ is closed to new replies.