• This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by srk0640-spam.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Your Garden workshop ideas
  • flip456
    Free Member

I’m currently planning a workshop/ office in the garden for the Mrs. The once spare room now has our youngest in it, so the craft/ knitting/arty stuff needs a new home.
    So I’m looking for inspiration on warm, dry, light garden office type diy builds.
    Something along the lines of timber construction, 2nd hand upvc French doors and windows, loads of insulation, electric heating etc etc.

Ps, don’t worry I’ll post a build thread when I start the build.

garage-dweller

We have a 5x4m roughly 33mm thick log cabin that was delivered as a kit and built on site by the supplier on an existing concrete base.

I know you’re looking at self build but it was built and usable in 2 days (month lead time). It would have taken me at least a month of weekends to do something similar during which time I’d have done stuff all with the kids and not been riding.

We were lucky in that we could afford to pay for someone else to do.

The construction is pretty warm if in there for a couple of hours (I just have a little 2kw convector on in there on low when temperature gets below about 10deg). It’s a relatively small space so it doesn’t need much. Some insulation in the ceiling might help too.

Disclaimer. Mine mostly used for bike fettling / woodwork not sit down crafts.

freeagent
    Free Member

I built a 15m2 breeze block shed in the corner of our garden 4 years ago.
    I cast a 6″ deep concrete slab, using one of those ‘mix it while you wait concrete people.
    It has a steel door from ebay, a UPVAC window and a corrugated steel roof.
    It is fully lined with 20mm of celotex insulation and the roof has an additional 150mm of rockwool.
    It is a bit ‘industrial’ as I’ve finished it inside with OSB board inside (painted white) but if you plasterboard/skimmed it and carpeted the floor it would be as good as an indoor room.
    It holds temperature really well – warm in winter and cool in summer.

It came out at just over £3k for materials + labour to put up the blockwork.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

about £3k all in including 35m of armoured cable up the garden to allow a kiln to run.

flip456
    Free Member

Cheers guys, jam bo- I like that, it’s kind of what I’m thinking.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

sorry to hijack – garage dweller do you have links to the log cabin.

akeys001

http://www.gardenofficeplans.com/

A good ebook (you choose what to pay) that gives you all the instructions you need to diy it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Your Garden workshop ideas’ is closed to new replies.