• This topic has 148 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by cooie.
Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Your First Album
  • SiofCannock
    Free Member

Mudrock here too. 74 ish?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can’t be sure but I think my first single artist album was Dare by the Human League.

My first non single artist album was the Saturday night Fever soundtrack, It was bought from Woolworths. I skipped over the BeeGees tracks, my favourite track on the album was Open Sesame by Kool and the Gang, I think I would have been 10 or 11.

oink1
    Free Member

First album ever bought by me was ABBA – Super trouper – 1980 😳

WillH

I was never into music until I was about fifteen (I got accused of lying in German class when we were doing basic “My favourite type of music is… , my favourite band is…” type stuff as I didn’t have favourites. I learned the German for “I don’t listen to music” instead. Apparently this wasn’t normal 😕 ).

Anyway I soon made up for it by discovering decent music, and bought my first ever albums in about 1994 (bought at the same time so I get two ‘first’ albums):

Still two of my favourite ever albums.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

This was probably the first one bought for me (1975).
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phq8Xm8ecJ0[/video]

vickypea
    Free Member

Adam and the Ants – Kings of the Wild Frontier 🙂

fatmax

MJ – Thriller.
    Later followed by Wet Wet Wet, Terrance Trent D’Arby, The Cristians etc.
    Got bought Nick Kershaw ‘The Riddle’ as a single by a girl at the Christmas school disco. I bought her a Terry’s Chocolate Orange the next day as a present. Took 4 chunks out on the way to school and ate them. Needless to say she wasn’t impressed and I got dumped. My romance skills haven’t improved since!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

REM-Out of Time

gordimhor

First one I bought was Hawkwind by errr Hawkwind in 1976

Rockape63
    Free Member

Bagstard
    Free Member

Licensed to ill for me, must have been 1987, still play it on occasion.

Bream
    Free Member

I bought it about 84. Cried so much when my tape player ate it that my dad felt sorry for me and gave me a fiver to go buy a new copy. Can’t remember him ever giving me a fiver another time, ever 😀

Keva
    Free Member

I honestly can’t remember but I think it was either Celebrate the Bullet, The Selecter or More Specials, The Specials

edlong
    Free Member

The first album I bought on CD was…

ooo, that’s an interesting variation (for those of us whose previous answers were vinyl or tape)

I think mine was Queen – A Kind of Magic

spawnofyorkshire

Pulp – Different Class (1995). I actually listened to it again over the weekend on spotify and there were still some cracking tracks on there

kiwijohn

Spike Milligan – Bad Jelly The Witch

I won a music voucher in school in about 78 or 79. Probably my oldest possession.

mindmap3
    Free Member

First album that I actually bought myself was Reload by Metallica.

Previously my music collection was recorded tapes from an uncle that consisted of the stuff like Metallica, Gun, the Cult, Bon Jovi, Little Angles, Maiden, Sisters of Mersey etc.

Once I started buying lots of CD’s myself around ’98 it started to get heavier and heavier. We also started trading music via MP3, using Winplayer to rip each other’s CD’s.

colp

Which I played on my Fidelity music centre.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Stiff Little Fingers – Inflammable Material, 1979 I think.

sillyoldman

The Police – Zenyatta Mondatta on cassette. £3.95 from some wee shop next to the bus station in Dundee in late 1980 or early 81. Still like it!

novaswift
    Free Member

Used my lunch money to buy Permanent Waves by Rush from Taste records in Peebles

kerbdog
    Free Member

Madness Absolutely 1980

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m now thinking that a Led Zep album was probably my first pocket money purchase, Led Zep II or Houses of the Holy, probably Led Zep II would be the obvious one. Then there was a house party and a shift in 1981/82 at 14/15yo, at the party I listened to Honey Bane on Crass Records and/or Crass Penis Envy album where it all changed for me over night musically (the point where I let go of my big Sister’s Heavy metal reins and found my own music feet, in Punk). I’d already been given Stranglers Raven album on cassette and liked, but this was the point it all fundamentally changed and bands like Led Zep were never played again (until maybe in my 30’s).

Watty

Aladdin Sane and Dark Side of the Moon. Both in ’73, one for my 13th birthday and one for Christmas, but I can’t remember which way round.

sb
    Free Member

In early 1982 as a 11 year old I bought my first album with my own pocket money – The Jam – The Gift.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Genesis – Invisible Touch. I was 9 and I loved it.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Iron Maiden, number of the beast 1982.

jamj1974

Graceland – Paul Simon. It was 1986 and I was 11. I loved the rhythms of the record and the storytelling in the lyrics. Started playing it again in the last couple of years and despite the production being pretty awful, the songs still stand up IMO, also gives me a bit of a nostalgic feeling…

cooie

Machine Head by Deep Purple ’72

Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Your First Album’ is closed to new replies.