• This topic has 148 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by cooie.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Your First Album
  • munkster
    Free Member

First album bought with own money…

First album owned (bought for me by my parents, I was about 5!)…

😉

sadexpunk

ill see beej’s red showaddywaddy album and raise it with the blue version that my mam and dad bought me.
    i assume it was the earlier one as it must have been 75/76 or so (id have been 12ish)

first one i actually went out and bought at around 13 was boomtown rats 1st LP.

punk was just starting and at my tender age i thought the only place you could buy records was woolies and boots, hence the boomtown rats rather than pistols, damned etc. i remember a bit later asking a puzzled shop assistant for something by the stranglers. a bloke in the queue overheard me, asked if i knew where sanctuary records was, and bingo, a whole new world opened up for me with listening booths and the smell of all that lovely vinyl when you walked in…. ahhhhh memories 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Cannot actually remember which one but must be one of these …

Bee Gees
    Carpenters
    ABBA
    Blondie

😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I forget which was first, but the first two genuine albums were

Blur:Parklife

Manic Street Preachers:Everything Must Go ()

Both pretty good today I’d say.

jabbi
    Free Member

Michael Jackson – BAD, 12″ vinyl naturally! Still a good record! Could be a lot worse, My tastes after were a bit eclectic (it was the mid 80’s, looking back, it seems quality of music was a bit up and down 🙂 )

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

1980, so I was 8.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Magical Mystery Tour, reckon 1969…

mildbore

Was meant to be ‘Sgt Pepper’s’ but cracked while I was saving up and got ‘Nice Enough To Eat’, a cheap Island sampler (14/6d). Sgt Pepper’s was next

mt
    Free Member

Electric Warrior. T Rex.

A long time ago.

Harry_the_Spider

jrawarren

Tubular Bells. That dates me! Kinda sad that there’s a whole generation coming along that wont ever have bought a “First Album”. What was the first song you streamed, really isn’t the same.

monkfish
    Free Member

If we are discounting those top of the pops albums that were all covers, that you got in wollies then it was tonic for the troops the boomtown rats. If not it had crazy horses and my ding a ling on it.

graemecsl
    Free Member

Embarrased to say it was the Beatles Please Please Me along with all the other girls in 1963.

I didn’t buy any more of theirs until Revolver and Rubber Soul then of course the Iconic Sgt Pepper which I still have.

It wasn’t until 64 that I could establish my rad bad biker credentials with The Rolling Stones album.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

surfer
    Free Member

Embarrased to say it was the Beatles Please Please Me along with all the other girls in 1963.

Embarrassed! Bloody awesome decision!

surfer
    Free Member

My mate bought the B52’s album in 1976 the day it came out. We were 15 and bunked off school to listen to it. Still awesome!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7dDVcPSOg[/video]

tiggs121
    Free Member

Still listen to it regularly.

donks
    Free Member

The police reggatta de blanc after seeing them at MK bowl in 1980.
    I was 7 and my dad took me so we went out to B&A records in Bletchley to buy the album A few days later.

CountZero

The first actual vinyl album I bought with my own (pocket) money, of which there wasn’t much, was the OST of Fistful of Dollars, in 1967, then later on in 1970 it was Bridge Over Troubled Water on cassette, then ELP Pictures at an Exhibition , also on cassette, and Tangerine Dream Ziet on German import vinyl from Virgin Records in Bristol, around 1972.
    First single was Fleetwood Mac Albatross.
    Most of the early albums I had, like Zep 4 were cassettes taped from mates vinyl copies, made by holding the mic of my Philips N2204 portable recorder in front of the speaker of the family Bush record player!

gnusmas

Guns n Roses – Appetite for Destruction

Bought on a school trip to Tenby when i was 11 from Woolworths in 1988.

metalheart
    Free Member

My first album was this K-tel classic:

It was for my xmas, and I got another one which was, quite frankly, embarrassing.

I think the next album after these was possibly CRASS’s Feeding of the 5,000 (on small wonder bought from their shop mail order…. 😆 )

crapjumper
    Free Member

Meatloaf. Bat out of hell . 1977 or thereabouts so would have been 8 years old . Dad bought it for me

crewlie

Another T Rex Electric Warrior here. Still listen to it on occasion. It was a long time ago, but it still makes me smile.

pennine
    Free Member

graemecsl – embarrased to say it was the Beatles Please Please Me

As I posted on P2 this was my first LP too. Embarrassed? no!

However, like you I became a Stones fan in 1963 with ‘Come On’ & then bought ‘The Rolling Stones’ album in 1964

jag61

bought in 1st year senior school so 1972/3
    paid about £3.00 now up to £100 😯

4ags4
    Free Member

Rio – Duran Duran, and still in my top ten listened to

hammerite
    Free Member

I bought Licensed to Ill by the Beastie Boys on my 9th birthday to play on the Walkman (not Sony) I got on the same day – I think I paid for it with a £10 Boots voucher.

The first album I owned was one bought for me as a present…

nick1962
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

Bad – Michael Jackson, 1987
    Ha Johnny come lately 😉

superjohn71
    Free Member

vongassit
    Free Member

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Discounting something by, er, the Goodies and Geoff Love and His Orchestra Plays Bond Movie Themes, first was Blondie Parrallel Lines. Followed by Police Regatta de Blanc.

Good thread

seadog101

Status Quo, 1982, in 1982.

Thought I was being cool or something.

emsz
    Free Member

Britney, 2001, I think I was maybe 9.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the next album after these was possibly CRASS’s Feeding of the 5,000

Possibly the same for me after many birthday / xmas gifts. Elvis 40 greatest hits (age 7), LedZepIII (age 13 xmas, that was significant as first rock album I owned), Motorhead Bomber (age 13/14), AC/DC Back in Black (age13/14), possibly others. Feeding of the 5000 (second sitting) might be the first album I actually walked into a record store and bought with my own pocket money at about 15yo, but I can’t honestly recall. Like said above, loads of stuff was tape recorded off mates and albums given, loaned, traded, swapped and/or mysteriously acquired.

butcher

First was Michael Jackson – Bad, on cassette tape.

First Vinyl: New Kids on the Block.

midlifecrashes

Some singles before, but punk and new wave were more singles driven, and I didn’t have any money until I got the paper round. My brother is older and he bought plenty until I started so I didn’t miss out.

Scapegoat

My sister gave me Wish You Were Here for my twelfth birthday in Jan 1976. The first one I bought was a few days later, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

edhornby

I don’t know what my first single was (never really bought them)
    I don’t know what my first album was (bought SO many)
    Not sure what my first gig was

the actual point of creation and experience is fascinating, probably why I studied it at university and still keep on doing bits and pieces, maybe I never classed what was the first purchase as monumental as it’s only a function to getting to something else to listen to… this isn’t me trying to be so cool, I’m just wondering if in a minority not knowing the answer to these questions?

pondo

First bought for me as a requested christmas present was Prince Charming, Adam And The Ants. First I bought was Brothers In Arms on cassette, first CD The Stone Roses.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

ABBA Greatest Hits Vol 2, closely followed by Super Trouper and The Visitors.

The first album I bought on CD was 10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged (1993).

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Your First Album’ is closed to new replies.