Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Your favourite train stations ?( Excluding main stations )
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

This is mine from my childhood when growing up Woodside Park apart from the trains getting updated the station has remained the same since it was built !

This is my local one very art deco

What are yours ?

bob_summers

Good call on Southgate. Turnpike Lane was my local for years, quite similar vibe.

Canfranc station up in the Spanish pyrenees, disused for years now but still there.

hels
    Free Member

I’m a fan of grandiose Colonial statements, like this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wellington_Railway_Station_(14258465405).jpg

(although it was more fun when it had the giant brass statue of Kupe)

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Fourmarks and Medsted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medstead_and_Four_Marks_railway_station

Steam trains only, one stop from my home town of Alton and 200 yards away from the my mates (the FFF brewery) where they make the best beer in the universe (Altons Pride). Totally sustained and maintained by volunteers and the home of Thomas the Tank Engine.
    The perfect start to any brewery tour.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spean bridge, has a lovely restaurant and train waits for you at night!

globalti
    Free Member

OK it’s a mainline terminus but I love St Pancras and the super statue of John Betjeman:

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Irwell Vale.

Coz my garden used to back up to the end of it; if I climbed through the fence I’d pop out middle left.

perchypanther
    Free Member

THe only time I ever get on a train I end up here…..

Pigface
    Free Member

Slough looks like a Hornby station, quite incongruous* amid the vileness that is the rest of Slough

* get me with the big words

binners

Paul Simon wrote Homeward Bound sat here. He changed it from the original title – Get Me Out of This Godforsaken Shithole

jemima
    Free Member

Slough looks like a Hornby station,

I could be wrong here but I think the original Hornby station was modelled on Oakham station.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Tynemouth Station is lovely……

jemima
    Free Member

Can’t bear Corrour station though eh?

Or maybe Loch Eil?

Harry_the_Spider

Perchy, is that St Ives?

A mate of mine’s mum and dad live in Lelant. Got good memories of legging it down to Lelant Saltings to get the train in to St Ives to get bladdered in The Sloop then off to Peggerty’s to dance really badly.

On the wall at Manchester Victoria.

mefty
    Free Member

That great example of neo-classical architecture in Huddersfield.

binners

Ours isn’t bad.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like the waiting room at Duncraig station. It was originally a private station for Duncraig Castle.

Its a request stop, you have to stick your hand out for the train.

Klunk
    Free Member

rannock station though what it’s doing on a colourful england site ! 😯 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

Perchy, is that St Ives?

Sure is.
    We rent a flat in Carbis Bay for two weeks every year and use the train to get into St Ives as parking is a hairy nightmare.
    We always go and Park and Ride from Lelant at least once though just to enjoy the most picturesque train journey in the UK .

atlaz
    Free Member

Quite fond of Metz station. To the right were the Kaiser’s apartments where he stayed when the 1st World War was kicked off by his pals.

Murray

Another mainline station but it’s really impressive. I lived in the Radisson next door for a few months and caught the metro to work every day (initially at Central Telegraph just outside The Kremlin)

PJM1974
    Free Member

The unlikeliest candidate for best station has to be Manningtree in Essex…

On one side of the platform, there’s a small ale pub which is perfect for summer evenings (or afternoons) spent waiting for a connection.

Across the other side of the platform are views of the rather pretty North Essex/South Suffolk countryside, as appreciated by Gainsborough and Constable.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite train stations ?( Excluding main stations )’ is closed to new replies.