Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • your favourite section of singletrack anywhere?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Headless Chicken.

krag
    Free Member

Sidewinder @ Penhydd, Afan. Flat out fun 🙂

robarnold
    Free Member

Mushroom Picker, Bike Village, France.

Steep, flowy, technical, one of those where you're pretty happy to clean it at all and when you manage to piece it all together at speed, you feel like ten men.

Fookin love it

scotabroad

Deer fence at Mabie, or final blast down the Marin as fast as poss.

jedi

in the uk one of my faves has got to be caddon bank for just good old plain easy fun

manitou
    Free Member

cant remember the name of the trail but It was in East Burke in Vermont USA. Brilliant trail would have been better on my bike rather than a hire bike!

iainc

I think the Lairig Ghru descent into Rothiemurchus is mine :

Northwind

I love Mushroom Pie at glentress, I wish I could name a cool "natural" trail or something harder or more impressive, but this little diversion is absolutely beautiful, it flows like nothing else I've ridden and if you get the pumps right you almost do the whole thing without a pedal stroke. Nice wee balance beams as well. Just lovely, good for the soul 😉 And then you reach the end and discover you've only descended about 20 feet, and you can get back to the start in 10 seconds, so I do laps :mrgreen:

jedi

northwind= sweet!
    its about the size of the smile after mate

mr_stru

There is a really lovely bit of singletrack that someone has cut down to one of the car parks at pitmedden which I love.

jimmy

A trail leading down from Schwarzsee near St Wolfgang in Salzkammergut, Austria.

Hungerhill Lane, Holymoorside (pre-sanitisation)
    Stone Edge Quarry, Lower woods, Chesterfield
    Bole Hill, Wingerworth, Chesterfield

Three trails which have never been matched for intensity (probably something to do with age and not having broken collar bones at the time)

Kramer
    Free Member

This summer I've been really loving Pipedream at Les Arcs.

……

Caddon Bank at Innerleithen is still right up there too.

Two excellent choices. Pipedream is still burnt onto the back of my retinas. Off to Inners the weekend after this. 🙂

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Iain c that descent is great only done it once but and need to return

however my fave is sidewinder at afan full tilt in the dark! well that's where i have just been anyhow!

EdwardH

Most recent favourite has to be Ben Ime down to loch Long, in places it is sublime in others down right knee deep mud….. 3300 feet of decent is hard to beat.

After that there is a two minute section of mud, roots and rocks I have been slowly muscling down through a section of forestry above the town (shh, dont tell the local estate, the previous attempt was dug up by the estate foresters)

Goz
    Free Member

Dowies and most other bits of singletrack in the FOD, to many to choose from!

BadlyWiredDog

Really like the singletrack above Trevelez in the Alpujaras, quite different from most of the stuff round there in that it's undulating rather than steep, lovely.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

I love Mushroom Pie at glentress, I wish I could name a cool "natural" trail or something harder or more impressive, but this little diversion is absolutely beautiful, it flows like nothing else I've ridden and if you get the pumps right you almost do the whole thing without a pedal stroke. Nice wee balance beams as well. Just lovely, good for the soul And then you reach the end and discover you've only descended about 20 feet, and you can get back to the start in 10 seconds, so I do laps

I've still not worked that one out. It's like one of those Escher drawings.

Northwind

Now that'd be a trail to ride. "Double black diamond- mandatory air and moebius northshore, suitable for experienced riders with good quality off road bikes and impaired spatial awareness"

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

+1 for the Lairig Ghru descent. It's like it was purpose made for bikes.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Iron Keld gets my vote too… more for some ace memories of the best ride ever. And a couple of jars in the Drunken Duck before hand probably helped.

I found a nice wee one at Woodland the other day too – very straight forward but a lovely flow… rather enjoyed it and will be back for another go I think.

Then there is Dumyat circa a few years back. Last time I was up there (before moving south) it had lost some of it's charm. But back when I moved to Stirling around 2001/2ish the descent down that main track was just stonking.

I have it on good authority that Parkamoor is a bit special too though, so shall try and get out there in the next couple of weeks to check it out.

jedi

damn, where's my lights. reading this makes me want to ride

porterclough
    Free Member

Wimble Holme hill.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Another sweet Cheeky – the Lenah Valley trail, Mt Wellington, Tasmania:
    (as always – much steeper than it looks in photos)

genesis
    Free Member

Fairy Glen by Llandyrnog near Ruthin, fast as you dare with an angled bridge crossing that you could straightline, unfortunately they've now put a fence on it 🙁

Gary_C

The one just ahead of my front wheel……& just behind my back wheel… 😉

Ambrose

Col de Joux Vert down to L'Abricotine. If I can't get to sleep at night it is what I think of. Fantastic riding.

In GB the descent down to Dan yr Ogof caves in the Upper Swansea valley is VERY hard to beat indeed. And a bit niche too, very few people know it, let alone ride it.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

But ambrose i'm scared of dinosaurs!

marty
    Free Member

lookout mountain in the ochocos.

thickens
    Free Member

Cervinia race course in snow rain hail lighting …………

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mushroom Pie is awesome. Only ridden it once (half by mistake) and I loved it. Freezing cold and soaking wet but that put the smile back on my face!

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm it's probably either one of the Mega qualifier sections or something at Kirroughtree. Also, it's not that long but I love the bit of singletrack in Grizedale that goes over Breasty Haw (good name too).

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I love Sidewinder and Hidden Valley at Afan.

And there's a great section in the Forest of Dean near Ellwood, that winds down either side of a little ditch. If it's got a name I don't know it, but it's great!

clubber
    Free Member

Absolute best I've ridden is probably Trail 8 in Killington Vermont – twisty, rooty singletrack that traverses the mountain so it takes 40ish minutes 🙂

In the UK, I still feel the love for the singletrack I started riding on – Upper Quarry in Ashton Court, Bristol – on a good day, there's just no better feeling than flying along it.

johnny

Locally, Grims ditch, including the cheeky section.

Otherwise, i think some of the stuff i rode at Pila 2 years ago was pure fun fun fun…

Almost makes me want to skip summer and go straight to summer alpinism! 😀

Roman
    Free Member

Can't think of just one.

Zig zags @ Afan, only ever done it as a night ride a couple of times 😀

Mark of Zorro @ Nant Yr Arian, is definitely worth a mention

Cwm Rhaeadr, it's short but very enjoyable

The descent that Ambrose mentions above is very good, but next time I'm not riding rigid and I'm taking lights!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I can't decide – too much to choose from…

Bit I always love on my regular run is the little stretch from Daisybank road to the Scout hut on Leckhampton Hill – not too technical or difficult but something you can really speed down. Its just twisty, turny, droppy, rooty fun!!! 🙂

Vortexracing

The Cresta run with switchbacks in Spain

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

@Jimmy

Those 3 trails at Chezzie. Are they really that good as I have never cycled around there. I live in Derbyshire and I'm intrigued.

Black 8 or White 8 in Les Arcs (can't remember which is which, but they're both ace).

didmatt
    Free Member

From Bilsdale West Moor down towards Arnsgill ridge in the North York Moors. esp in the summer when its very over grown!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘your favourite section of singletrack anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.