Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Your favourite HiFi tweeks
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

if the amplifier has a 'sound' it is broken

depends on what class the output is.
    Class A low efficientcy but superb output characturistics (arse spelling ) with low/no crossover distortion
    Class B not so good output due to crossover distortion

class A/B somewhere in between

therefore amps do have a sound

My valve amp has a sound which is smooth and easy, yet some amps appear to throw sound at you

Hadge
    Free Member

If anyone thinks amps don't sound then you are wrong. It's like saying all bikes ride the same and they don't. The reason people have them serviced is certain components age, causing a change in the performance of the amp.
    The funny thing with all this though is that other forums, be it hi-fi or whatever think us bikers are all loonies for thinking our bikes ride different as they all have two wheels don't they. Stick to what you know about, which doesn't always work judging by some of the drivel on here.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If anyone thinks amps don't sound then you are wrong

I'm not saying they don't have a sound, but if they do they don't work right

Stick to what you know about

obviously working in electronics for 25 years counts for naught :o)

funkynick

I think this thread is a perfect example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing…

And as much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with sfb..

I am now off to through myself off the nearest tall building!

😉

funkynick

It's alright Simon, I used to help design mixing desks… I know nothing either…

😀

woffle
    Free Member

Apparently coat hangers work wonders…

I'm sure there is some solid science behind certain 'tweaks' but there really is an element of the afore-mentioned magic beans about a lot of the guff / improvements the Hi-Fi industry comes out with. Just like some cycling companies come out with the latest and greatest thing that'll make you ride faster / lighter / better (carbon-fibre spokes anyone?)…

stumpy01

The sock/insulation stuck in the reflex port of a speaker is meant to be used when you position the speakers right up to a wall.
    As I understand it (probably incorrectly) the port is tuned so small speakers can sound 'bigger' by using the wall behind them to reinforce the sound. To do this the speakers should be a certain distance from the wall. If you have to put them a lot closer than this, I think you stuck the bung in the port to stop it working as otherwise it would be over the top. Sorry, not the correct terminology but the point is there somewhere.

My TDL RTLIIs are good because they have some kind of horn thing inside that provides good bass performance from compact floorstanders and as the ports are at the front you can stick them as close to the wall as you want.

Best advice I reckon is to double check your speakers are wired in phase. I had a mate who spent an absolute fortune on a Micromega amp & a cd player. I think he had some expensive Mission speakers too.
    He thought it sounded amazing & had been using it for a month or so. I went round there & thought it sounded completely pony…..turned it all off, checked the speaker cables & swapped them around……BOOM……I made his stereo sound 10x better for free!! He was quite embarassed.

Hadge
    Free Member

I was a Quality Engineer at an electronics company in the SMT department so I know nothing either lol. Wasn't talking about you personally SFB, just general comments made.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite HiFi tweeks’ is closed to new replies.