• This topic has 111 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Your favourite DESCENT anywhere?
  • Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Stert/Somerton Combe on the Quantocks. Nothing too tech, just nice, flowing singletrack for a couple of minutes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hmmm toughy – toss up between the north side of mount keen and the walkers trail from lochnagar to loch muick

grumm
    Free Member

Mega Qualifier in Alpe D'Huez I reckon.

Honourable mentions must go to Moor Lane in Grizedale and The Calf-Sedbergh in the Howgills though.

SigmaF
    Free Member

didn't take much thought this one:

PHD (from the top top, incl. the hike!) – Pemberton, BC (full stop)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member
    Summer lightning downhill, Surrey hills cos its local!

Honourable mention. I concur, but if you start at the cricket pitch, you can link in Summer Lightning to a much longer down hill (of varying gradients) then on to the side track to Wolven's Lane (fast!) ending up on "The Rookery". The whole thing takes about 20 minutes (15 if you're not me). I have independently dubbed it "Go All The Way". 😉

votchy
    Free Member

Can't remember the names other than widow maker but most of the descents round dartmoor that Tim and Woody have taken me down have been brilliant
    camber and 3 bears in the wyre are both good too

cheese@4p

UK – Local, Elland Park Woods the long, winding way, not really long but super flowing with alsorts of fun if you know it.
    US – Porcupine rim – Moab

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

cheese – I've classed that as my fave singletrack (see other thread)!

The descent at the end is brilliant though! Bonus having it on my doorstep nearly too!

chvck
    Free Member

Something in the dyfi forest probably!

robdob
    Free Member

I suppose Cut Gate northwards down to Langsett can be described as technical in Uk terms but in Dark Peak terms it isn't.
    When I returned to chapelgate after maybe a 8-10 year gap I started hooning down it at 30mph expecting it to be the gravelly speed fest I remembered it as. Imagine my suprise when I came accoss the first bit which was a 6inch wide piece of crumbly Tarmac 4 foot above a jagged chasm of death.

It's fair to say I soiled myself. Amazing!!

I did crash on it the next time and hit the rocky trail chin first. My jaw snapped shut so hard I broke one of my teeth in half. However, being a true Atkin I still managed to eat my lunchtime cake.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

UK – Theres a few round where I live like parkamoor, ickenthwaite etc that are all good fun. Also Make or Break followed by cadon bank at inners

Abroad – Morgins in Switzerland, Swiss cup course and Alp D.

Crans montana is also awesome but never got to ride it

devs
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor. Ben Rinnes. Bannachie. Party Quarry in the Oakwoods. The Chute on Mach3. Climachx final descent. Cadair Idris. Laggan Black. Jacob's Ladder and that one off Rushup Edge with lots of drops on it.
    Depending on what day it is and what I had for breakfast it could be any of the above.

trailmonkey

My local faves are, moist badger and re-bored frippet.

robdob
    Free Member

I do like the trail centres but there is no substitute for getting down a natural descent in the Peaks and being glad you're still alive. 🙂

There isn't an element of risk in the trail centres. I thought the black run at Glentress was quite easy.

cheese@4p

Davey – didn't realise my local regular ride had a proper Name and everything!
    Headless if you hit the swings!
    I love to "wall of death" the top bombhole and slingshot out

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

UK – Tough one this. From the following;
    The massive berm section on the Raven at Brechfa
    Barry Knows Best (Looking forward to the new stuff!)
    Hermon (Down to the cafe through the bluebells)
    The end of Climachx
    And, finally, a lovely short section out through a local set of woods. No name, just a lovely trail that makes me smile.

International-
    The Wall – Off the top of the deserted camp by the Portman Guns! (You'd know if you'd ridden it!)
    The old school Cap d'Ail DH course from back in the day!

robdob
    Free Member

that one off Rushup Edge with lots of drops on it.

I think that may be chapel gate too?
    Although Rushup edge westwards has drops in too. Eastwards is good too. Oh darn it, it's all good!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The walk downstairs the morning after knowing you have a beer in the fridge and a cold kebab on the side. Breakfast of gods before a day out on the bike.

amodicumofgnar

UK – Cumberland Brook and Charity Lane / Oven Lane continuation, both Macc Forest / Wildboar Clough area. Never got board of either during the 12 years they were the most local trail. Not the longest or most technical descents in the peak but good enough to keep you coming back.

Great Dun Fell – radar station road, yes its tarmac but its also starts at around 850m and drops, down and down and down.

devs
    Free Member

I think that may be chapel gate too?
    Although Rushup edge westwards has drops in too. Eastwards is good too. Oh darn it, it's all good!

Was the westward route I did. I'll give that chapel Gate a blast next time I'm there. Trouble is there's an awful lot of brilliant biking between me and there so my trips are few and far between.

kimbers

mega qualifier alpe d huez for me

i love the descnet from the top of innerleithen xc, cadon bank and beyond always has me grinning

peachos
    Free Member

can be described as technical in Uk terms

so once you leave our shores the term technical shift's it goalposts? wtf

robgarrioch

I don't get out much…

Was – GTress black just before the radio mast (Britney Spears?)
    Then – Inners-Minch Moor down to the valley fire-road (slowing down ='d much more fun)
    Now – sheep track on the steep north side of Castlelaw in Pentlands ('FOCUS or fall off') –

(pic- crtsy Kit, of this parish)

Abroad – Gisburn canyon (in the dry..)

robdob
    Free Member

so once you leave our shores the term technical shift's it goalposts? wtf

Not the point i was making. Keep up please. 😉

will
    Free Member

Good thread!

For me, as a few have pointed out it has to be:
    – Cavedale
    – The Beast
    – Jacobs Ladder (surprised nobody has said this?)
    – Innerliethen (sp?) decend on the black run

Probably more, but i can't remember. Can somepoint point to me on a map just where Cut Gate is (us multimap OS) i'm sure i ride this all the time, but not sure the name…

Looking forward to sunday now!

robdob
    Free Member

I've never been down Cavedale, is it really that good? Pushed up it a few times!!!!!

stevomcd
    Free Member

France, Whisky and Rye with the The Whiteroom. I was having too much fun to stop and take pictures. Probably the fastest I've been on a bike and knew if I came off it was gonna leave a few marks…

I was riding that at the end of the season, usual drop in and go directly to warp factor hoon. Then I discovered that one of the local old boys had managed to roll his car off the forest road above the trail. The car had then been pulled-out by JCB, leaving a 5 foot-wide trench across the trail. I (just) got away without crashing but it definitely left a few marks (mostly in my bike shorts…)

Didn't get round to doing any repairs after the season finished, will need to be next spring, but the trail's been churned up in 4 or 5 places by this. The plan is to take advantage of the damage to put in a couple of cheeky rock-drops… :mrgreen:

BIGMAN
    Free Member

i'd hazard a guess 99% of people saying Champrey are talking bull or not been down the WC track!!

I know a number of Elites and Experts who would not even ride sections of it never mind enjoyed it!!!

It's owt but enjoyable… And has sod all flow unless your surname is Hill!!

spanishbarry
    Free Member

My Favourite is fantastic single track always dry and dusty and just lets say Jesus is always looking out for you , but its my little secret !

stratobiker
    Free Member

My total bestist most fave ever, rad to the power of sick……..

Is going downhill fast into a few beers and some whiskey with friends.

SB

chakaping
    Free Member

The track with the big rocks that comes out at Grizedale visitor centre.

Might be known as "Babies Heads"?

Always provides an amazing end to an amazing ride.

Bunnyhop

Belmont descent – Winterhill.
    Cumberland clough – Macc forest (as oldagepredator said)
    The Banks – Local Marple descent, short, rocky, switchback, dropoffyheaven. It always scares me though.

grumm
    Free Member

The track with the big rocks that comes out at Grizedale visitor centre.

Riverbed?

soops
    Free Member

After riding up from Hurstwood near Worsthorne on the pennine bridalway, the descent down to widdop is one of my faves.

ton

minch moor summit to carpark
    lawson park to either nibthwaite, or the park
    moor lane
    tittys track
    ullswater singletrack
    finish of penmachno
    elland woods

and in the alps, from the summit of the solour above courcheval ant 2900m
    to brides le bain at 600m.

GW
    Free Member

ton – your first choice isn't a descent, it's half a trail centre route with 2 ascents 😕

I don't have a favourite but some top ones for me are..

Aberfeldy SDA track
    WC track – Champery
    Run of the mill (Avoriaz-Morzine)
    the really mental steep Plenney singletrack descent – Morzine
    Mynd Du (Dragon track)

a lot of my other favoutites are sadly no longer there due to felling or other reasons

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The track from Cam Head down into Starbotton.
    The track down into Kinlochleven from The Devils Staircase.
    Some in France I can't remember the names of.

ton

gw, when you suffer like i do once a year to ride up to the summit of minch, it is a very very welcome descent mate……….. 😉

GW
    Free Member

Ah, I get you 😀

BTW there's no shame in walking. all the best riders do it 😉

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

🙂 A recent trip to the Ecrin with Mr Martin Gill was particularly nice after a 5-6 hour xc trug and battle we had a descent perhaps only a handful of other riders have experienced (col de montbrison) This type of riding is spot on. I doubt even anyone here has done it. Thats what makes it good, but perhaps not the best. Hope your well Dave and family is good.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite DESCENT anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.