Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Your favourite 'classic' read
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Okay, so what’s your favourite? Pick one, but as you lot are such an educated bunch you can add three ‘honourable mentions’

My gold star goes to:
    Charles Dickens: Bleak House

In my opinion his best, full of humour, pathos and social comment. But such a great, tight plot.
    Yes, its quite long but give it a go. It’s a rollicking good read

Honourable mentions to:

Homer’s Odyssey
    Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea (wonderful writing)
    Wilkie Collins: The Moonstone

Could add more but rules is rules

mcmoonter
    Free Member

As pertinent now as when it was published – Woodward & Bernstein’s “All the President’s Men

SaxonRider

Gold Star:

Dostoyevsky – Brothers Karamazov

Honourable Mentions:

Tolstoy – The Death of Ivan Illych
    Bulgakov – The Master and Margarita
    Kafka – The Trial

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Written by a rather distant relative, my pick would be Tom Jones.
    Rollicking good fun.

Honourable mentions to;
    The Rieu translation of the Odyssey. (Penguin Clasics)
    Manon Lescaut – Abbé Prévost
    The Power and the Glory – Grahame Greene
    And, if it counts and doesn’t break too many rules, pretty much anything by PG Wodehouse.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

The Rieu translation is the one I’ve read

Dawn: ‘warm and rosy fingered’. There’s a whole new thread there!

johndoh
    Free Member

Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck.

Most read book though is Weaveworld by Clive Barker.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck.

That, or Of Mice and Men, was one I might have added to my list on another day.

scaredypants

For sheer pride in having completed it,
    Ulysses – James Joyce
    Down and out in Paris and London made a big impression on me when I was a lad (or is that cheating as i’s not really a novel) (Has anyone read Ripley Bogle? it’s reminiscent IMO)

mikey74
    Free Member

Define “classic”.

johndoh
    Free Member

Mikey needs to read a dictionary 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

I have always preferred Trollope to Dickens, mainly because he does politics so well. Having said that I have to be unpatriotic and say Germinal by Emile Zola, which provides an extraordinary description of extreme poverty, the hope of political protest and its ultimate suppression. But there are loads of great books and with classics you can load your Kindle up with them for nothing.

Garry_Lager

The crying of Lot 49 – Thomas Pynchon. The shortest and easiest-to-read book of the postmodern master is also his best, IMHO.

Others:
    1. Crime and Punishment. Not his best, but my favourite for personal reasons – just read SF and fantasy as a kid and this was the first ‘proper’ literary book I ever picked up voluntarily. Couldn’t believe how good it was.
    2. A la recherche du temps perdu. Cheating a bit here as I’ve only read two volumes, but simply not read anything like it. Don’t think there is anything like it. Mesmerising.
    3. Collected stories of Borges. He never wrote a novel, but Goddamn he wrote some short stories! Hugely influential on the form – if I wanted to learn how to write fiction, this would be my place to start.

Nipper99
    Free Member

EV Rieu is my great great grandfather 🙂

Gold Star: A Tale of Two Cities

Mentions to:

Wodehouse – esp Uncle Fred
    Powell – A Dance to the Music of Time series
    Kipling – Kim

jambourgie
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Define “classic”.

Olden-days stuff like the bible and the doomsday book innit. And that book out of The Evil Dead.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EV Rieu is my great great grandfather

This place never ceases to amaze!

Another on my long list!

Northwind

Stand on Zanzibar or Flowers For Algernon. And though Oscar Wilde’s plots and characters often don’t hold together I love his lines.

“Children begin by loving their parents. As they grow older they judge them. And sometimes, they forgive them.”

scaredypants – Member

Down and out in Paris and London made a big impression on me when I was a lad

While I did enjoy it, it also made me conclude that Orwell was an utter bellend and the worst sort of tourist.

scaredypants

2. A la recherche du temps perdu. Cheating a bit here as I’ve only read two volumes, but simply not read anything like it. Don’t think there is anything like it. Mesmerising.

Wish I was up to reading it in French; TBH I didn’t really enjoy the translation I read started

scaredypants

While I did enjoy it, it also made me conclude that Orwell was an utter bellend and the worst sort of tourist.

Yeh, I know what you mean – not sure about his motives but I think I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I read it too young

mefty
    Free Member

I took my daughter to the library on Saturday to get a book of poems, as she is studying them at the moment. She duly choose one and I said that the editors were both English teachers of mine, albeit I was bottom of the class in both cases. She had no problem believing I was bottom, but didn’t believe they were my teachers. Bloody kids.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Of Mice and Men, was one I might have added to my list on another day.

Any Steinbeck list should also include Cannery Row, Travels with Charley and Tortilla Flat.

mikey74
    Free Member

Olden-days stuff like the bible and the doomsday book innit. And that book out of The Evil Dead.

Hmmm I don’t read the bible, the Doomsday book, or the Necronomicon. However, if we’re talking about non-contemporaneous stuff, then these:

– In Cold Blood: Truman Capote
    – Lord of the Rings trilogy
    – The Hobbit
    – The Grapes of Wrath
    – Is Cormac McCarthy “classic” yet?
    – Does Lovecraft and Poe count?
    – Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson

Dracula was dull as ditchwater, but generally, I don’t bother with “classic” fiction these days.

mefty
    Free Member

Widmerpool – how often have characters like him arisen in life – fantastic – there was a very good Radio 4 dramatization.

gordimhor

Homage to Catalonia or Burmese Days. Orwell set the standard for prose.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 ‘The Old Man and the Sea’

Also:

Saki – ‘The Chronicles of Clovis’

Dickens – ‘A Tale of Two Cities’

Bulwer-Lytton – ‘Eugene Aram’

Balzac – ‘Wild Asses Skin’

Shelley – ‘Frankenstein (The Modern Prometheus)’

seosamh77
    Free Member

crime and punishment springs to mind.

Read the 39 steps recently as well, thoughts it was going along great, though the end was a bit rushed though. But good enough that, now ye mention it, I’ve got the complete richard hannay series to get through, will need to pick those up! 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Post Office, Bukowski.

Anything by Zola and I reckon Rogue Male by Household just about sneaks into the ‘Classics’ genre.

Nick

Anna Karenina probably

Alone in Berlin, read that recently, enjoyed it.
    For Whom The Bell Tolls is rather good too.
    Our Man in Havana & The Quiet American are both great
    100 Years of Solitude

Sorry thats 5 honourable mentions, plus

If we’re going for someone like Pynchon (one day I will manage Gravity’s Rainbow) then I’d include Vonnegut & Slaughterhouse 5

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Old: Moby Dick
    New: Cryptonomicon

TheFlyingOx

Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast series, I think, with Titus Groan probably edging out the others for top spot. Not an easy group of books to define but the general “feel” of them makes me think Iain (M) Banks was a fan.

Special mention to The Mahabharata. If you want tales of derring-do, love, hate, treachery, magic, war, peace, gods, devils, and everything inbetween, you’ll not get much better. I’m only a small part way through, but it’s brilliant. It’s also old enough should Mervyn Peake be considered too contemporary to be classic.

metalheart
    Free Member

Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon – probably my most reread book (and all time favourite despite it being a school text book 😆 )
    Young Art & Old Hector/The Green Isle of the Great deep – Neil Gunn

I preferred Gravity’s Rainbow to Lot 49 (but admit it wasn’t easy to read for the first 100-odd pages…. 😳 )

Modern modern I’d have to plump for some thing by Bill Gibson. Or maybe Neal Stephenson (who I love but he does tend to ramble at times, he should probably get a better editor….)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A captivating book I use to show some students that ‘old’ literature can be great.

Crime and Punishment. I bought it at the train station when at the start of a month where I’d be travelling Soton to Birmingham 18 times and it was the best value per page. I finished the bugger! It was a great book but I felt a sense of achievement more than anything else.

Captain Corelli’s Mandolin. Is that a classic? It’s the finest book ever written so it should be. Funny, poignant, exciting, interesting… a spectacularly great novel.

jekkyl

darrell
    Free Member

The Hobbit

Im gonna start reading to my 4 yr old soon

mattbee

Technically not a book I suppose but I read it rather than saw or performed in it. Androcles and the Lion by G.B.Shaw will always stick with me as it was one of my first books and I read it numerous times.
    One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn is my other choice. Unremittingly bleak, I read it when in 2nd year senior school & remember my English teacher being surprised when he found out; we were ‘studying’ something eminently forgettable at the time.
    Kestrel for a Knave will always stick with me. Partly because it resonated as a story, as I grew up in an ex mining village on the outskirts of Barnsley in the 80s and also because of my mum’s stories of the filming of it at her school & the other kids who ended up in the film…

Spin
    Free Member

For sheer pride in having completed it,
    Ulysses – James Joyce

No you didn’t. It is a well known fact that no one has ever finished Ulysses.

“You cannot learn too early in life that most classical literature is both dull and unimportant.” Kyril Bonfiglioli.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’ve never read Under Milk Wood but listened to it countless times, it’s superb.

More recently

Catch 22 by Heller
    Neuromancer by Gibson

theotherjonv

Great thread idea, fills me with inspiration. I went through a phase of alternating ‘my’ choices – autobiographies, thrillers, etc., with classics, and if I’m honest found it very hit and miss.

Steinbeck was great – Cannery Row probably edges Mice and Men for me.
    Moby Dick – was an absolute trudge but I finished it
    Mockingbird – brilliant; even better my eldest daughter read it at the same time as me so we could discuss it.
    The Time Machine – dragged a bit for me but good ending
    War of the Worlds – and genuinely hadn’t seen film / radio play, etc. so didn’t know the ending – thought the ending was ‘Oh, is that it?’
    Hemingway – Death in the Afternoon; fascinating if not really a novel
    Frankenstein – great

Really haven’t read much Dickens, sounds like I should try. Read a few classics at school obviously; 1984 is next one cued up for me given we seem to almost be back there! but also Lord of the Flies, 39 Steps, etc.

And I do like a good Holmes story, but they’re short stories rather than novels in the true sense.

mikey74
    Free Member

Definition of “classic”:

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

Somewhat ambiguous, no?

I’d also add I am Legend

bodgy
    Free Member

Gold star:

Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

Honourable mentions:

Rogue Male, Geoffrey Household
    Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
    Nausea, Albert Camus

Also ran: Ghormenghast, Tolkien, Oscar Wilde, Billy Liar

EDIT: @user-removed: Houseman is definitely a classic! 🙂

senorj

My favourite book in the world is Homer’s Odyssey.
    I really enjoyed Fyodor Dstoyevsky’s The Idiot much, much more than Crime & Punishment.
    Mikhail Bulgakov’s ,The Master and Margarita is a classic imo.
    Sadly , since parenthood arrived I haven’t had chance to read anything other than childrens books. ha.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite 'classic' read’ is closed to new replies.