Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Your experiences – folding bikes and commuting.
  • speaker2animals

I am really hoping to get a job that will require a 5 mile each way commute between office and rail station. The train journey will require a change of station – Stoke to Stockport, Stockport to Knutsford.

Question 1 – have any of you any experience of regular train travel from these stations with a none folding bike? I'm a bit paranoid of being prevented from taking my bike on board. I know that you need to book your bike on each train in advance but you still hear stories of riders being stopped by train/platform staff.

Q2 – the possible solution is to use a folder. The bike leg at the work end is 5 miles but apart from about half a mile near to the station the route is on country roads. I know folders are good in town traffic/riding but how good are they on a fairly straight forward fast ride?

Ta for any experiences you could share.

Multitrack
    Free Member

No experience of these two particular stations, but plenty of experience commuting on a train in Hampshire in the mornings where a bike is not allowed.

9 times out of 10 I do not need to fold my bike and plenty of other riders take none-folding bikes on the train without anyone saying anything.

1 time out of 10 the staff stop people getting on with bikes and I am forced to fold mine. There's normally lots of swearing when this happens and I would be joining them if I couldn't fold my bike. There is always lots of room for bikes, folded or not.

I've got a dahon speed 7; I hate the flexible steerer under braking, but otherwise I love the bike.

nickf
    Free Member

I'm with Multitrack on this; my Dahon Mu SL has some downsides, but overall it's excellent. I don't have a problem with a flexible steerer, but the smaller wheels make it handle entirely unlike my other bikes. It's fine doing shortish trips (up to 10 miles is no problem) though I guess it depends on the condition of your road surfaces. Mine doesn't seem to get too worried by London's reasonably rubbish roads, and it's certainly quick, though with an obvious aero disadvantage compared to a prper road bike.

It's rare that I have to fold it on the train, but I've been told several times in the last few weeks on going through the barrier at peak times that if it wasn't a folder I'd not get through.

speaker2animals

Cheers guys.

woffle
    Free Member

I've commuted for the last couple of years on a folder – currently doing 30-50 miles a day on an Airnimal and between 20 and 50 minutes on the train (dependent on station). It's as close as you're likely to get to a 'proper' bike – 24" wheels are a step above my old Dahon etc when you're doing longer distances regularly IMO. This is split between Sussex country roads, Kent busier roads and some London riding. I also do the occasional longer distance ride to work on it. I'd recommend the Joey without a moment's hesitation. Not cheap tho…

I used to do shorter commutes on my s/s road bike but didn't want to risk getting stuck at the office one day having to work late and then not being allowed onto the train. It used to be fine but as the line has got busier they've really cracked down on peak travel and non-folders.

Not sure what your train company are like but South Eastern specify that it must fold to go on peak hour trains (arriving in London between 7 and 10am, leaving between 4 and 7pm). To be honest the guards are ok with it being pushed onto the trains 'unfolded' but some can get a little picky about it and I have to spend a minute folding it up. Much like the experiences up there ^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mezzo is the answer.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

Birdy is the answer…

simon_g

I do 5 miles or so each way on a Brompton, with a mile and a bit at the other end. I have done about 30 miles on it in one hit, and am thinking of doing a charity London to Paris ride on it too.

Depends a lot on what your train journeys are like. I ride into zone 1 and get a train out of London so usually very quiet, and I could get away with a full-size bike if I wanted – there are a few people that do. Some trains have the roomy disabled/bike part for stowing a full-size bike and if you can guess the right bit of the platform (if there's one at all) then that can work. Else it's using the area by the doors, and trying to wedge it in place (hoping that there are no stops on that side) or standing with it all the way. OK on a quiet train, on a busy commuter service it must be a pain in the arse.

Personally, I like to just shove my bike in the vertical luggage rack, or between two back-to-back seats, sit down and relax for the journey with a book. You only get that freedom with a 16" wheel folder. Some train companies are being more specific with their folding bike requirements at peak times, insisting on only the smaller types.

It rides fine once you get used to the twitchiness and the obvious flex that you can provoke by pushing/pulling on the bars. Speedy away from the lights and will maintain a decent pace on the flat – it's usually only the serious commuters on road bikes that are faster.

woffle
    Free Member

Some train companies are being more specific with their folding bike requirements at peak times, insisting on only the smaller types.

in it's bag you wouldn't know my Airnimal was a bike…

speaker2animals

Thanks for the input guys. The folder would be a mates Dahon with 20" wheels so sounds as though it could be do-able. If I were to get the job I may risk the SS until I actually encounter a problem with trains/bikes.

Cheers all.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Seems like some knowledgeable people here… anyone know of a folding bike which comes from the factory with some kind of hub gear and belt drive?

I've found aftermarket conversions but no factory options.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Your experiences – folding bikes and commuting.’ is closed to new replies.