• This topic has 54 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jabbi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Your daftest bicycle tinkering/servicing fow-pax? ;-)
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

today I reattached the non-drive side crank arm pointing down in the mirror image of the drive side one. Tightened it up, popped it on the drive for a little test run, then wondered why the cranky thing wasn’t working…lol

donut!

simondbarnes

What the hell is a fow-pax?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

faux pas 🙂

senorj

Ha. At Mr Barnes .
    I fecked up my pro 2 axle yesterday ,I was only supposed to be (quickly)changing a cassette.ffs.
    Hub Bearings felt tight and drive side end cap seized . Just a quick tap with a hammer …new bits ordered and “parked” it .bastid.

scaredypants

used to be possible on octalink cranks to set them up at something like “5 past 5” – that made pedalling quite interesting

err, apparently 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I nearly put my forks on upside down.

I mean, I didn’t. Who’d be that silly……..

scaredypants

built a wheel not so long ago with the valve in the wrong place, so no “open” space above it. Can still get a pump head on it so it’s staying as is

Northwind

God damn it. I build trails, but do they call me Northwind the trailbuilder? No. I get kids into university, but do they call me Northwind the educator? No. But I install one little fork upside down…

PS,

scaredypants

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I nearly put my forks on upside down.
    I mean, I didn’t. Who’d be that silly…..

We’ve all been there

… but not uploaded a photo !
    “hat” to ventnord for that one

I’ve fitted chainsets the wrong side a couple of times too

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Fitting tyres and tubes to new wheels……

And forgetting the rim strip. Doh!

franksinatra

First time I bled my avid brakes I diligently followed the you tube tutorial . When I got the bleed the syringe just wouldn’t budge. Took me 20 mins to finally realise I’d been following an American tutorial and connected up the rear brake to the front lever

orangeboy
    Free Member

Working late after work doing my own road bike before a Sunday ride.

Put the brake cable through the brake lever then ran it through the gear casting and connnected the brake lever to the mech and not the calliper.

Have up went home and used beer bike for Sunday’s group ride

senorj

Who hasn’t exploded a badly fitted inner tube?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @Northwind

Sorry…..

Not sorry. 😉

ajantom

built a wheel not so long ago with the valve in the wrong place, so no “open” space above it. Can still get a pump head on it so it’s staying as is

No way, uh-huh, I’ve done that once and had to strip it down and rebuild. I’d be thinking about it every time I rode it otherwise!

Phil_H

Measuring where to cut the steerer tube on a set of forks without the stem fitted then cutting it to that length. 😳

Pre bonded steerer tubes thankfully.

dabaldie
    Free Member

Rebuilt my tricross after a few years of it being set up for the wife as a flat bar hybrid.
    Decided to treat it to a new cassette ,mech and chain.
    Spent ages trying to get the gears indexed and eventually took it to a local mechanic to change the brake as I couldn’t get the V brakes working perfectly. I asked him to look at the indexing incase I had bent the hanger etc.
    Phone call later that day asking why I’d fitted a 9speed cassette and chain to a bike with 10speed shifters.

mark90
    Free Member

I once fitted a tyre without lining up the valve and logo.

seadog101

Cutting cable outers too short, why always me…

jonnyboi

I had a set of bombers where the footnut was spinning and wouldn’t tighten… impact wrench did it, shame I didn’t ease off before the internals exploded

Onzadog
    Free Member

I learned an important lesson yesterday while building my first internally cabled bike.

Don’t start by fitting the headset and forks. For the second one, I shall pull all housing and hose through the frame first.

vincienup
    Free Member

seadog101 – Member
    Cutting cable outers too short, why always me…

Not just you. I really hate it when I cut a front hydraulic hose a bit short though…

tynemouthmatt
    Free Member

As a resourceful, skint, dirt jumping child I wanted to slow the rebound down on my marzocchi mx comps. Was told thicker fork oil would help with this.

Having found no fork oil in my parents garage I decided bisto was a suitable replacement – because you know it’s thick and stuff.

Worked a treat for the ride from the house down to the dean, then totally seized.

Mates still don’t let me forgot it nearly 16 years on.

jobro
    Free Member

Put the brake cable through the brake lever then ran it through the gear casting and connnected the brake lever to the mech and not the calliper.

Did it work?

mintimperial

Trying to get a brand new DHF Minion to seat tubeless on an awkward Bontrager rim, I pumped it up to 60psi. Then 70. Then 80. Then 90. Just as I leaned down to let some air out, BOOOOM, right next to my head. Couldn’t hear for 5 minutes afterwards, tyre bead was ruined.

I think tynemouthmatt’s fork gravy story is my new favourite, though, that’s something very special. 😀

philjunior
    Free Member

Broken (9s) chain out on a ride. Oh goody, I have spare links in my camelbak. Not realising the links were 8s for the ss. Lasted the rest of the ride but broke on the way to meet people on my next one, at which point I realised what I’d done.

tjagain

Accidentally added the oil to forks twice leading to complete hydraulic lock

Dark-Side

Building up a brand new Cannondale CAAD10 Disc frame, installed fork with headset and stem in place and marked where I needed to cut the steerer with a sharp knife. Cut steerer at mark, only to reinstall and find the headset had made an identical score line a good 5cm below the line I should’ve cut at. It was a Black Inc frame too, so Cannondale couldn’t immediately supply a replacement fork. I ended up buying a second frameset for the fork, and selling the rest on eBay. That was my most costly bike servicing mistake.

TiRed

I ESTABLISHED THAT CONTI GP 4 SEASONS MOUNT TUBELESS TO KSYRIUMS AND BLOW OFF AT JUST OVER 100PSI.

I didn’t ride them and won’t. Road tubeless is strictly for tubeless tyre beads. And I sprayed the dining room with Stans.

butcher

Building up a brand new Cannondale CAAD10 Disc frame, installed fork with headset and stem in place and marked where I needed to cut the steerer with a sharp knife. Cut steerer at mark, only to reinstall and find the headset had made an identical score line a good 5cm below the line I should’ve cut at.

Ouch.

Have put the cranks on at same angles before, but never made it out onto the drive like that… and the forks upside down, but generally you realise your mistake before it’s too late.

Used to fix my bikes up as a kid often without really knowing how, and I do remember once fitting a front brake cable to a canti brake, but I only had the inner cable – no outer. It went straight from lever to brake (literally a straight, taut line!) That never worked very well. But I remember at the time being as bit confused as to how it was meant to be, so I just rolled with it like that for a while…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Once fitted the front QR skewer-lever pointing downwards. I lived but it felt weird riding it and I still get after-cringe.

chestrockwell

Cutting a XT brake hose at the banjo end.

Spilling hydraulic fluid on the same calipers new pads without realising, until yesterday’s ride.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mark90 – Member
    I once fitted a tyre without lining up the valve and logo.

Delete your account.

pictonroad

Having found no fork oil in my parents garage I decided bisto was a suitable replacement – because you know it’s thick and stuff.

This is incredible. Bisto! No wonder your mates won’t let you forget, I wouldn’t .

thejesmonddingo

I changed a stem and, without realising it,rotated the fork through 180 degrees before fitting the new stem.I then took the bike for a ride round the block.I never realised a simple change of stem could have such a dramatic effect on bike handling,and it took 30 minutes before I realised what I had done 😯

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

This is incredible. Bisto! No wonder your mates won’t let you forget, I wouldn’t

That wasn’t his only bodge….

jerrys
    Free Member

I changed a stem and, without realising it,rotated the fork through 180 degrees before fitting the new stem.I then took the bike for a ride round the block.I never realised a simple change of stem could have such a dramatic effect on bike handling,and it took 30 minutes before I realised what I had done

Like this? I wondered why I’d suddenly got toe overlap!

[/URL][/img]

thejesmonddingo

Exactly 😀

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Measuring where to cut the steerer tube on a set of forks without the stem fitted then cutting it to that length.

Pre bonded steerer tubes thankfully.

Post bonded steerer tubes. D’oh.

Couldn’t be bother to dig out the torque settings for the bolts on a set of cranks. Read the label off a set of shimano on another bike figuring they’d be the same. 5mm bolt on Shimano. 4mm bolt on the Pinion cranks. Quite different torque.

stevied
    Free Member

My mate was having trouble with the cranks on his hack bike coming loose.
    He asked if I could get them welded in place (really basic bike with some sort of scaffold poles for cranks)…yes, I said so got the welder at our place to do it after I’d screwed it all together…both pointing the same way 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Your daftest bicycle tinkering/servicing fow-pax? ;-)’ is closed to new replies.