Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Your cross league, Seniors & vets,
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Does you league send them all off together.
    The fields are now at about 150 riders and are attracting some good riders.
    Curious to know what’s considered a ‘too large a field’

STATO
    Free Member

the North east BCF league (cxne) have split the vets out this year, think it was a recommendation from the BCF?

oldgit
    Free Member

Interesting. Your league has about the same number of entries. The only downside is that Junior/Women/Vets only race for 40 minutes, 20 minutes lost racing is a bit unfair though.

pid
    Free Member

I’m new to this – trying out the Central League and everyone seems really friendly (and fast) – but I thought it seemed pretty busy at Hemel at the weekend. I think my “racing” was impeded by other newbie seniors in the first lap and if I was (only a little) older and wiser I’d be concerned that someone not in “my” race was slowing me down.

plop_pants
    Free Member

The London League still set all cats off together. It’s been ok so far for me as I’m lucky enough to get gridded but must be mayhem behind. Last race we had 160 at Herne Hill. Nuts. They did have a novice race but only 30 or so did that. If they ever split the field into two races I hope they don’t do what the Eastern Region do and have the separate vets race lasting for only 30mins. Pointless.

oldgit
    Free Member

30 minutes? shorter than my warm up.

pid, that’s CX for you. I was at Hemel and there were the usual problems. I walked twice due to bottle necks, dabbed God knows how many times behind riders going off and was hit by a stalling rider. Then I’ve been at races and sailed past every problem like I had a guardian angel.
    We were in a group of three, but were split up by these sort of things. Though rather that than 30/40 minutes of racing.
    Even riding in V50+ I want a full hour, in fact it suits us more.

simondbarnes

All together is the NWCCA league. Getting fields of 150+ now. I love the fact that everyone races at the same time – always people to race 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve not bothered with Nwcca this season because of the numbers tbh.I suspect the courses will have to change to reflect the larger numbers (ie wider/less tech).
    It seems a bit unfair to both the slower riders getting constantly passed and the faster riders constantly passing.But then another separate race would extend what is already a long and hard day for the organisers/marshals.
    I much preferred it when it was’nt so goddamn popular!!! 😉

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Notts & Derby they grid the start depending on previous results or last years league standing to make sure the fastest are at the front.
    Anyone who isn’t in the league but is still quick can ask for permission to start in the front group.
    All start together though & have been as high as 199 riders so far this season!

marty
    Free Member

In Scotland, we split Women, Juniors and Vets into a separate race from Seniors in 2010 (IIRC) when numbers became unmanageable.
    http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/

For truly amazing numbers of racers, check out how the Cross Crusade Series in the NW US split their races:
    http://obra.org/events/20819/results

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Like Marty says, numbers here in the US are crazy. We have these categories:
    SM 55+
    SW 4
    SM 4 / SM 3
    Single Speed
    SM 45+
    SM 45+_4 / SM 35+_4
    Pre J/Preview
    SM 35+
    SM 35+_3
    JM/JW 13-14 / JM/JW 10-12
    JM/JW 17-18 / JM/JW 15-16
    SW Open / SW 35+
    SM Open

We regularly have over 1000 people racing each day. Fields are always limited to 100 people, and it makes it much more sensible.

aP
    Free Member

oldgit – Hemel was particularly busy because the London League race was cancelled so they all came to the Central League race. We were talking about splitting Cats with Paul and its being considered but does put a but of a strain on the organisers as it then becomes a very long day. Some venues won’t be easy to have split main races as they have to do the course set up in the morning of the race – when I put races on it we were there at 6am to finish off and get things ready.
    I didn’t see a lot of conflict on Sunday but there was some ‘committed overtaking’…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Wessex league run a senior/ u23 and a combined Vet/ Women/ Junior. Seniors have a field of about 40ish and the V/W/J around 80.

Never found the size of the field a problem as the faster riders are seeded. There’s a good rider etiquette within the league too which is explained before the race start. As long as you give a clear indication that a faster rider is coming through to lap a rider they generally move out the way without any problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Your cross league, Seniors & vets,’ is closed to new replies.