Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Your commuter/occasional tourer reccomendations please chaps
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a new commuter (Roadrat for sale in the classifides!) for various reasons, and top of the list so far is the Revolution rance from Edinburgh Bicycle, one of these two probably.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9452&f%5FSupersetQRY=C432&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003155c018333c018336

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=10812&f%5FSupersetQRY=C432&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003155c018333c018336

I'm not bothered about wheel size, type of bike or anything, but I'd prefer vees over cantis as I'll be towing a trailer from time to time and I like decent brakes. I'd prefer 8sp rather than 9 too as it lasts longer. So far I'm leaning towards the Nexus bike it has to be said….
    Gonna have a look at Halfords bikes too.
    £400 maximum is the budget, but so far I can't get close to the EBC bikes. Any ideas?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good god. Stumped everyone have I? 😉

tthew

Second hand Dawes Galaxy perhaps? You can probably pick one up that has already had the flat bar conversion done, and for £400 it would be a decent one.

Pieface

Whats wrong with the roadrat?

peteimpreza

Give us a clue as to what put you off the road rat and we might have more suggestions

rolfharris
    Free Member

Trek 7.3. Good looking. Well made. Light. Nice kit. 8speed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Give us a clue as to what put you off the road rat and we might have more suggestions

I'd rather not being as it's on the classifides right now. Let's just say it's a bit big for me, shall we? (Which it is) But there's nothing WRONG with it as such. It's perfectly OK!!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've got a Specialized Globe Elite from 2008 with the Nexus hub and the gears are fantastic on it and the main reason i chose it.

I'd go for the one with the Nexus hub as its for commuting on. The gearing is spot on for 20mph along the flat and a bit more if you get down a bit (on the Globe at least)

geoffj

Revolution Cross

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

tthew, my last 2 commuters have been used ones, and this time I fancy, and can afford, a new one. :o)
    Things with drop bars tend to have cantilever brakes too…… And I'd rather not if it's all the same with you…. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Those Revolution Cross bikes are very nice. I had a look at one in their shop in Newcastle recently. Cantis again though….But I might be tempted 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Those globes look nice, but I can't find one for sale, and the newer ones are a bit pricey (£450!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Logging off now. TTFN

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Your commuter/occasional tourer reccomendations please chaps’ is closed to new replies.