Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Your comments
  • Merak

This is my website what I made myself.

Please consider my target market is folk who cannot or will not do any bike maintenance themselves. Its a paid hobby rather than a business at the minute. I have another job.

I have never built a website and know little about it. Its all very much in its infancy but I would appreciate any comments good or bad so that I may tweak it. Im just trying to make it the best it can be.

Cheers.

http://www.spincycles.cc

Cougar

First thing that struck me, you have an asterisk in the text with no further explanation (as far as I can immediately see).

Oh, and you change fonts halfway through your blurb on the front page. Don’t do that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Looks Ok to me but I am sure a proper IT bod can give real advice

Best of luck

Cougar

You also have too many exclamation points for my liking! Are you constantly surprised!

clubber
    Free Member

Websense tells me that it has ‘suspicious content’. It’s probably something silly causing it to block but it’s worth trying to fix to avoid putting off visitors.

sweepy
    Free Member

Cougars valid points aside it looks good to me, nothing too complicated to navigate.
    Good luck with it.

Cougar

Typo on the front page, missing apostrophe.

Alternatively, give me a ring and Ill fix it for you.

You seem to have two home pages, the default start page and the one on the Home link?

(Sorry, I’m nit-picking, I should say it looks reasonable on the whole)

bearnecessities

Like!

Only thoughts:

Where’s the asterisk routing to? I was immediately looking for a disclaimer on the 48h thing.

Definitely offer more services; there will be plenty of able folk, that would still pay for someone to do a wheel build/parts swap etc without the hassle of visiting lbs, or spend time if they’re short of it, doing themselves.

Insurance?

Edit: Sorry, you weren’t asking for comments on the business 😳

wwaswas

I think it looks good and good luck to you.

If I were being critical I would say;

1) can your twitter username not be the same as the company?

2) is the map on the contact us place to your house? I’d be slightly wary of doing that. Particularly as you don’t give the address so probably don’t want peopel calling round ‘cold’?

3) You are promoting yourself as a ‘we come to you’ company but spend some time describing your workshop? Maybe differentiate these two aspects of the business more?

4) I think you need a ‘how it all works’ thing somewhere – “you call us we come to where you want us to and bring all the tools and parts, we estimate the job and call you to confirm before we start work etc etc”. People will want reassurance about what happens.

Merak

No, I appreciate the feedback. Your absolutely right regarding the typos. The asterisk needs sorting too. It relates to the distance radius. I will sort those.

I also take on board the exclamation thing! Noted.

I dont know whats happening with the Home pages I take that on board. I may well ditch the ‘Home’ page.

Not sure about the ‘suspicious content’?

Thanks btw thats why I posted it constructive criticism and all that.

cinnamon_girl

It’s nice and uncluttered so easy to read.

My observations: be consistent with setting out your paragraphs, ie one had a title and text continued on same line but another para had text underneath. Punctuation!

In addition I would suggest that the contents of your Blog be put into another section. The info is good and helpful and a Blog is not the obvious place to find it.

Good luck with your new venture. 🙂

Merak

wwaswas

If I were being critical I would say;

1) can your twitter username not be the same as the company?

2) is the map on the contact us place to your house? I’d be slightly wary of doing that. Particularly as you don’t give the address so probably don’t want peopel calling round ‘cold’?

3) You are promoting yourself as a ‘we come to you’ company but spend some time describing your workshop? Maybe differentiate these two aspects of the business more?

4) I think you need a ‘how it all works’ thing somewhere – “you call us we come to where you want us to and bring all the tools and parts, we estimate the job and call you to confirm before we start work etc etc”. People will want reassurance about what happens.

Someone has Spincycles on Twitter, unfortunately. I understand the need for parity though. I will see if I can get something closer.

Map gives the area not the address.

Appreciate there is a vagueness about the services and how it works I will sort that too.

wwaswas

spincycles_glasgow?

as long as your not seen as ‘passing off’ it’ll probably be ok?

nickjb
    Free Member

I think its good. Nice and personal. Anyone looking for your services wants a local chap not a multi-national company so you don’t want it over slick, but clean and neat (as it is now!)

I’m not totally sold on spin cycles as a name. Sounds like you might fix washing machines or run a fitness class and you are unlikely to get a good google ranking. Not perfect but its OK especially if you like it.

Edukator
    Free Member

Weekend
    Weekenders

klumpy
    Free Member

Your background doesn’t tile. Not sure about the button, and it doesn’t even say what it does. “Click here for prices” would be better.

Merak

Lol@ the washing machine repair man. Thats what I get called in work! I’m not over the moon with the name but hey ho.

I am going to tweak it, click here for prices is a good shout. Will sort the call to action route too.

Its a tough crowd. 🙂

thehustler
    Free Member

first thing that jumped out at me, its too grey……grey is a drab colour and affects the viewers mood subconciously, use something a little warmer for the background

Gary_M
    Free Member

don’t know if its already been said but:

Welcome to Spin Cycles extra space after Cycles . Based in the small village I wouldn’t call Milngavie ‘the small village near Glasgow of Milngavie near Glasgow, Spin Cycles provide local cyclists as well as companies with an ‘onsite’ or ‘at home’ mobile bicycle service, repairing and servicing bikes in and around the Glasgow area.

All work is carried out by a fully qualified cycle mechanic with many years experience, who prides himself on providing a prompt, reliable and friendly service to all fellow cycle enthusiasts, from the most hardened of riders to the family week-enders weekender should be all one word.

Thankfully, punctures don’t happen often, but when they do, dont don’t fret, its it’s easy to put right. To minimise the inconvenience I always carry a spare tube , some tyre levers, a pump and a mini tool. This allows you to fix the punctured tube when you get home.

Its it’svital you check the tyre for the cause of the puncture or your new tube will be flat pretty soon too.

If you want to fix a flat at the roadside make sure you carry your repair kit and pump at all times. All puncture repair kits have full instructions with pictures. Alternatively, give me a ring and Ill I’ll fix it for you.

I haven’t checked the rest, I have my own proof reading to do that I get paid for 🙂

48 hours is quite a long time though, there’s a guy in Glasgow does mobile repairs at your workplace – I have his number in my drawer in case of emergencies.

Gary_M
    Free Member

or perhaps your grrrrr a lycra fiend please do get in touch to see what we can do for you!

I don’t like the ‘in archive’ thing, its a business, that makes it look like a blog.

Cougar

click here for prices is a good shout

Just “prices.” You don’t need “click here,” it’s a button, it’s safe to assume that most people know what to do with buttons on a website. Arguably, if they don’t, they’re probably going to be very difficult customers. (-:

jekkyl

all you offer is a service? what about specific bike jobs? like:
    bleed brakes, change headset, true a wheel, fit cassette/front & rear mech, change chain, change headset, convert to tubeless etc etc.
    To give you an idea what else this is the website of my local bicycle repair man:
    http://ezerider.com/page9.htm

Otherwise the website is good, good luck with your venture mate.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure how I feel about using the 1st person on sites like these. It makes you look like you’re Steve from down the pub or a market trader, rather than a business. Now that may be what you’re going for, I dunno.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve not time for a proper look right now so I can’t really comment too much on the details but first glance I’d say it looks how i would expect a small scale repair service site to look which is a good start. Not too flash and overselling yourself but compact and professional.

I’ll try and have proper critique later on.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

In general its a good website, but I have some nit-picky points.

You have a archive sidebar on most pages, I would only have that on the blog page or the page the archive relates to.

The about me page url is /about-me-2/. I would change that to “about-me”

I think people have mentioned this but the home page issue, you should be able to rename the navigation in the menus section of WordPress.

If you need any help with the technicalities of using WordPress just let me know I can help.

Merak

I didn’t want to list every little job. I wanted it really simple with regards to pricing. I appreciate its lacklustre about other services provided.

Another bit I need to revise. Dammit. 🙂

I’m going to address all the issues raised here over the weekend. I appreciate the feedback.:)

Cougar

I’m not sure how I feel about using the 1st person on sites like these. It makes you look like you’re Steve from down the pub or a market trader, rather than a business. Now that may be what you’re going for, I dunno.

Plus if you expand and take on staff, you’ll have to rewrite the entire site. (Top tip, doing a search and replace to replace “I” with “we” is a Really Bad Idea 😀 )

bigtimebones
    Free Member

A website is never right on the first build. Bug fixes and revisions are all part of the process 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Your comments’ is closed to new replies.