Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Your bramble/blackberry whisky tips please
  • boxelder

Sloe Gin on the go for elderly aunties,so how’s best to make bramble whisky??
    Ta

ironnigel
    Free Member

Pours a beer, pulls up a beanbag.

Stoner
    Free Member

off topic, before it starts, but another superb steep to make is stem ginger steeped in cheap whisky. Makes a real belter of a hip-flask warmer.

boxelder

Pours a beer, pulls up a beanbag

Have I committed some horrible forum faux pas,orare you thinking of brambly drams too?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

1 litre kilner jar, fill with brambles to maybe half an inch from the top. Fill reminding space with sugar, then pour over a bottle of Aldi blended whisky. Takes 3 months in a dark cupboard, give it a shake every week for the first month.

Ready for Christmas, strain into a bottle.

Drac

off topic, before it starts, but another superb steep to make is stem ginger steeped in cheap whisky. Makes a real belter of a hip-flask warmer.

Tell me more?

ironnigel
    Free Member

@boxelder 🙂
    Thinking of bramblydrams. Got away with mentioning mulled whisky in a bivvying thread. Never heard of bramble whisky. Do plenty of other flavoured spirits (make a mean cherry brandy – no giggling at the back – made with sharp cherries).

Looking forward to ideas coming in.

Drac

Bramble whisky is very nice. I kind just put some brambles, sugar and whisky in a Demijohn and left it for awhile. No idea of the quantities but roughly just based on sloe gin.

TooTall
    Free Member

Same as sloe gin. I slung a load of brambles and sugar (low on the sugar, easy to back-sweeten later if not sweet enough) in a bowl, mixed them up / bashed them to break up the brambles, then into a bottle / jar of the cheapest whisky you can find. Do as you do with sloe gin – dark place, leave it for months. I preferred to siphon off the clear as much as possible and try to leave the sediment untouched – it’s so much less faff than straining / filtering every drop.

Scapegoat

It’s one of my favorites. Kilner jar half filled with blackberries, half as much sugar , bottle of Aldi blended scotch, steep and shake for a week until the sugar dissolves, then leave it until Chistmas before straining and bottling.

A nice twist I tried last year was to add a sliced Bramley Apple to the brambles, plus a piece of cinnamon stick. Use gin or vodka for a very festive flavored tipple.

Damsons were good last year, and I tend to make damson gin as well as sloe gin. It works ok with vodka, but doesn’t have the depth of flavour as with gin.

I went to get the kilner jar the other day and found it in the cupboard still full of gin and sloes. I the remembered I’d made a batch in the spring using some frozen sloes. I’d experimented with a lower level of sugar, and forgotten about it. It’s been steeping since March/ April, and the result is a medium dry intense flavour.

johnny

I have two Kilner jars of blackberry gin and brandy I’ve been prompted to remember- steeped since last winter… Will decant and report back!

Stoner
    Free Member

Tell me more?

GINGER WHISKY
    You will need:
    » 2 Jars of Stem Ginger in syrup.

» 1 Piece of fresh Ginger, 2 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter, peeled and sliced.

» 2 bottles of very cheap supermarket own brand whisky.

Method
    Pour the syrup from both stem ginger jars into a demijohn, finely dice the stem ginger from the jars and add them to the demijohn, add the sliced raw ginger.

Pour in both bottles of whisky and replace bung in demijohn, shake vigorously each day for a week, leave to stew for 1 month minimum but for as long as you wish – it will not spoil.

Richard has had some sitting for 4 years and it still tastes great.

Decant into original Whisky bottles via a piece of muslin over a funnel to strain the bits.

Add more raw ginger at the beginning if you like to add some more kick.

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/instruction/winter-warmers-winter-drinks-17368#CVQpHK5fiHWztTVU.99#

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Your bramble/blackberry whisky tips please’ is closed to new replies.